Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My 4 week post-op appointment

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
from my 2 level Dynesys fusion (for spondy, bulging disks and stenosis, radiculopathy/sciatica L4-S-1) was today but I am actually 5 weeks out. My appointments were rescheduled twice due to emergencies.

I went in to my NSs office with high hopes. As I had mentioned earlier I was hoping to graduate to the smaller brace (a corset style one?) and to get the ok to drive. I got neither. He said the 2 week x-rays looked good and that the grafts were still where they were supposed to be. But he said he wanted me to wear the large TLSO brace for another month and to come back with new post-op flex/extn. x-rays. I said a month??? I bartered him down to two weeks. So that means I'm stuck with this giant brace for 2 more weeks, still can't drive and on top of all that he said I am sitting too much and I need to limit sitting to no more than 30 minutes at a time. He also said to only walk what I felt comfortable with, that "miles" were not necessary and to walk in small spurts through the day which is what I have been doing O:) . He said I look great, watched me walk checked my incision site and happily sent me on my way. I am grateful to be doing so well but I'm getting a little impatient. I am down to only half a dose of pain meds once or twice a day (varies based on activity level for the day) and I feel so good other wise. It's just so much tougher than I thought it would be to lay around and heal. Like I said I am so thankful to be having great results but I'm ready to get back to the world ya know what I mean? I am still so glad I found the site and that I feel like a part of the world here amongst my spiney brothers and sisters. I hope my positive (thus far) results are encouraging to others.

Happy Healing!

Kel
advertisement

Comments

• What you do now will affect the rest of your recovery....try to be patient. You will be glad that you did!!!!
  • Congrats on how well youre doing. Keep up the good work.

Happy Recovery,
    Christina :)
  • I know baby steps. I don't ever want to go backwards.I hope you are all doing well too.
  • Kel, it reeally is early days yet and I know itis hard but please try to be patient.
    It is so much harder when the mind is champing at the bit but the body is bnot ready to follow. I understand that only too well as I am sure most of us here do.
    SO it is time to give yourself some goals.
    They can be both physical and mental, something like doing 1 more short walk every 4 days, or I do 1 more lap around the kiddie park. Mentally you can do something like arrange asll your photos and name them all. This is the sort of thing we never have time to do. AND you can do this a little at a time if you cant sit for long.
    I have been making Xmas pressies for my family and friends -not working I cant afford to buy anymore so I am making everything and I love ticking names off the list as I finsih each. AND I know that they will be recieveing something from the heart.
    Now I've rambled long enough. Time for you to write some goals.

Blessings Sara
  • Great ideas Sara! I'm feeling the boredom too.

Inafix, I'm glad you are doing so well. My NS told me I was walking too much as well and to cut back. I'm not to be exhausted afterwards AND it's not anything I am to be pushing through at this point, no awards for going farther or faster.

I do not sit much at all and he also told me that the less I sit the happier he will be.

I have all the hardware, so I do have the small brace. It's still very sweaty and uncomfortable.

But no driving allowed here either. I guess it's all waiting waiting waiting- healing healing healing. (|:
  • getting my husband to repaint my kitchen and put up border etc. My job is of course to oversee it all...lol.
    Nah actually Im gonna hep put up some wallpaper between the cupboards. That's at least a job thats my level and easy to do. Oh and I get to shop :)

Christina :)
advertisement