Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie - post discectomy nerve pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hi guys - am new here and had a good look around and found the site extremely informative. Also helps to get other peoples perspectives.

I had an L5-S1 micro in 2003 at 27 yro - thanks to my gp had been left too long and I had foot drop in my left leg by the time i had my surgery. Recovered well - it was a bumpy road tho - until about 6 months later when I had an annular tear. Recovered again from this and had four years of usual peaks and troughs - relatively pain free normal life and some periods of angsty back pain until last year when I was laid up for 3 months with the annular tear again. I was only just back at work for 3 months when I started getting sciatica quite badly - after about 8 weeks I was in excruciating pain which I recognised well from last time - another few weeks later and the consultant said I had no choice but another micro.

so - almost 6 weeks ago I had another l5-s1 micro and a decompression, they said when they went in that the nerve was greatly compressed between the bulge of the disc and a whole load of scar tissue from the last op and they suspected I would have a lot of post op pain but I pretty much got through ok and went home after 7 days. A week after I was home tho I was hit badly with a bout of labyrinthitis which left me in a lot of trouble and when this hadnt abated they brought me back into hospital a week later.

At this point - 3 weeks post surgery - my nerve pain really kicked in. They have scanned me and say there is nothing concerning there and its just nerve pain and I have to wait for it to settle. I am on lyrica but it doesnt seem to help immensely. Its very worrying for me cos now - 6 weeks in - I feel I should really be showing progress but all I am doing is worrying about my continuing leg symptoms - usual radiculapthy - pain in the buttock, down the leg, some tingling in the foot/toes, sore calf etc. I am getting quite down about it - feeling like I am in the same position as before the op and just lying here and doing short walks.Especially as I seem to see no improvements. Anyway - my point I guess (apart from the rant) is to find out if others have had similar nerve pain issues and how they helped it resolve (apart from time)

thanks - any help appreciated.

Nicola
advertisement

Comments

• of our members have experienced permanent nerve damage especially if the nerves were badly compressed as you say yours were. There are several other nerve meds to try maybe you could talk to your doc and let him know that the lyrica is not doing the job. Other than time and meds I really do not think that anything else can be done.
  • I also had a discectomy in Jul after 2.5 years of sciatica. Now, 4 months post-op and I continue to have nerve pain / sciatica down the legs -- if I do not take the anti-inflammatory, Diclofenac. Warm water therapy/exercise and ice packs also help.

L5 S1 herniation in Aug 2003 w/ PT
    Reherniation in Feb 2006 w/ sciatica
    Endoscoptic Discectomy in Jul 2008

• Sorry to hear you've dealt with so much pain. I had a micro discectom six months ago. Though I can walk better then I did before the surgery, I still deal with sciatica but nothing like I did before the surgery.

I am still having to take muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory meds. the pain just seems to want to linger.

Hope you have a pain free Thanksgiving.

Blessings,

Cindy
  • I don't know if this helps. But it is what helped for me.

I had a herniated disc at L4-L5. Had a laminectomy and discectomy Sept. 9th. I had so much sciatica after surgery that my neurosurgent asked to have another MRI a month after surgery. Everything was ok. But still had the sciatica. I was also having migraines from the vicadin. So had to stop taking vicadin and went to ibuprofen and icing. For some reason the sciatica started to slowly go away at this time. My MRI showed alot of swelling and irritation. So, ibuprofen worked better for me. I thought it was crazy but it is an anti-inflamatory. I also started to move, walk, more without the migraine.
advertisement