Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACSF C5C6 - recovery complications from lower back condition?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My wife is scheduled to have ACSF in 2 months. Herniated disc C5-C6, degeneration.

She suffers from the stabbing shoulder blade pain, neck pain, occasional finger numbness, etc.

BUT -

she suffers worse from her lower back. Apparently spurs in her lumbar region; no impingement. Immediately upon standing she gets lower back pain, and it's debilitating if she's had to stand up for a "long" period of time. Also she has "shooting" leg pains.

MY CONCERN(S)...

Really, two related questions:

I'm reading a lot of people here citing walking as part of a recovery regime.

She can't really walk a lot now. Is this a prerequisite? I suppose her problem now is that she can't really do any core-strengthening exercises to help her back, because of her neck - and I presume if her neck is fixed, this will eventually be allowed to occur (exercise to help her back).

?

In that, what are the possibilities that her lower back/leg problems (sciatica-like) are related to her C5-6 condition?

Anyone with this situation? (combined cervical/lumbar problem). Apparently the orthopedist has decided the neck is more important, but... "?"

TAOT

advertisement

Comments

• however the cervical issues C5-C6came first as my spinal cord was pushed to 1/3 of the size it was suppose to be and they were scared that the cord might sever.
    10 months after the cervical fusion surgery I had to have fusion surgery on my lower back L5-S1.
    The chance that your wifes problems are linked are unlikely. It's like my surgeon says, some ppl just draw the short straw and end up with bad backs.
    The stabbing shoulder blade pain, neck pain, occasional finger numbness would be caused by the cervical herniation.
    The lower to mid-back pain, legs and feet would be caused by the lumbar issues.

Bst Wishes for her surgery,
    Christina :)
  • My husband had neck surgery in Sept 07. The surgery was amazing. He was in a wheel chair prior to the surgery. He has been up and walking better since the week after the surgery.His pain eased off some. However, on 7-31 he had 4 level back fusion on L1 down. The pain is alot better now. He is having leg pain but the walking is necessary to heal.
  • Thanks for the replies...