Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aquacise...Your advice please...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi, my sister thought going to aquacise classes might help my back. Today I went with her to one of the classes. I felt great when I was in the water, but now my low back is killing me with the numbness returning to my butt, and my thoracic pain is worse. Do you guys think I just need to get used to the exercise or do you think I should not be going to these classes? I am so disappointed tonight because I really enjoyed the class and getting out and meeting everyone. Now I am in pain and had to take 2 vicodin. Hope
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there,
    I started doing Aquacise about 4 months ago. I always feel like a million bucks when in the pool and then I limp out of the pool. =(( My advicwe to you would be to go easier when in the pool. The tendency to over do it because you feel better in there is high. I do a lot of modifying because I cant do anything where my legs go back or to the side. Try taking it easier, ok?
    Sue
  • :) hi! have you spoken to your doctor about this? you should not be starting exercise without your doctor's advice or even a pt. some pain is normal after starting a new exercise but you don't want to injure yourself more than you are now injured. i love to workout in the pool!! it is the best! just get an ok and then go for it!! Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    It generally takes time to feel the benefits of Aqua Therapy.
    It is one of the best treatments since. While you are in the pool, there is less stress and strain on your body. But dont be fooled. While many find the treatment in the water is not all that demanding, when you are out of the pool, your pain and discomfort can increase. (but that should only be for a short period of time)
    I wss having land physical therapy for over a year before I went in for their Aqua Therapy treatments. The first couple of times, I was in some much more pain and some of the problems I had before surfaced. But after about 5 sessions, I did start to see results.
    Stick with this type of therapy. But also keep in mind, that you should contact your doctor, just to explain this to them and see if it is ok
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I LOVE THE AQUA EXERCISES!

I dont know how I would have survived without them.
    Before I had surgery I did find a pool that taught aqua exercises for people with arthritis. - OK we called them granny classes but really they weren't.

These types of exercises are probably more suited to you then a standard class, that is if you can find one.
    Otherwise if you see a physio- they can give you exercises to do in water and you can just do them yourself ot with a friend.

We actually work harder too in the water because we dont feel it so take it easy to start with and make sure the instructor is aware of any injuries you have.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • My surgeon's main advice has been a walking program, which I do pretty much daily, but the water walking has also helped me a lot.

The PT has me do 30 minutes (started out at 20) with some specific arm movements in between each step (moving in different planes of movement).

Lately, I've also been building in some standard swimming with a kickboard and leg float (I think it is called a pool bouy), but the walking is the main activity pool that I am supposed to be doing. But it has taken me 3 months post-surgery to get to the point where regular swimming was deemed OK for me.

Of course, the PT has tailored the program to my needs, my surgery, etc. So what is right for me might not be for others.

advertisement