Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bandage question?????

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello ! I need some advice from you guys! I still have my bandages on....when can i take them off? I had surgery August 12. I didnt get to see my Doctor on discharge day so I didnt get my papers.
advertisement

Comments

• My bandages and drain line came off the day after surgery and I never had another one. I'd put a call in to your Dr. for what he wants you to do.
  • Did they forget? My bandage was removed with my drain on post-op day 3, then my incision was left open to air. I am a nurse and it is unusual in my opinion for you to still have your bandage on. Call your surgeon and ask if you can remove it. I had steri-stips on my incision on d/c only, and was instructed to remove them on post-op day 10. Do you have written d/c instructions from the hospital that the nurse should have reviewed with you? Check there as well for instructions on your bandage. If you still need one, seems it should be getting changed on a regular basis. Are you allowed to shower? This would be a problem with a bandage on. I was allowed to shower without covering my incision from day of discharge. Good Luck, let us know what you find out. Sue
  • I did not get to see my Doctor for Discharge, I asked them to call and ask him if I could go home. He said yes but I wouldnt not get discharge papers unless we waited to the follo0wing morning. We opted to come home!
  • Do you know if you have staples or steri-strips under there? I would think it is not good to keep the bandage on so long it might breed bacteria, sorry gross I know but please call your doctor's office tomorrow and see if you can take it off. Like Cali, I was allowed to shower and everything with my staples exposed as long as the water didn't directly hit my incision line. I let mine get plenty of air anytime I was out of the turtle shell.

just my thoughts. oh I am glad to hear the percocet is working better for you! I'm still having the tightness issue but it is bearable, it must be normal.

• even at home- the staples were not very comfortable with out some padding. When my staples were removed is when mine came off. I had no drain tube and no oozing.

Julie
  • That is bizarre. If the nurses can get a phone order for d/c, they could also have gotten a phone order for instructions, in fact that would be standard of practice. We would never send anyone home without discharge instructions. Did you leave AMA- against medical advice. That is the only situation in which I can see that happening, and even then, we usually give d/c instructions even though the doctor does not agree to the patient leaving. Odd
  • i decided to remove them this morning(the bandage)There are steri strips i left those alone.
  • I had my bandages changed daily for the first 5 days then a rubber bandage put on that I could shower with and to keep that on for 2 weeks.
    I had disolvable stiches so nothing to be taken off or out but I was gong to rehab so had to get a bandage put on each day before getting in the hydrotherapy pool.

Sara
  • can be now left off at this point. The steri strips will fall off eventually on their own. If not, the doctor will take them off at your next appontment.

Christina :)
advertisement