Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need your thoughts on this drs visit

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i posted last week over the late evening call I got from my NS telling me that there was nothing wrong with me.(The xrays showed bulging discs,spurs and surgical changes at my fusion site) I returned to him with my EMG in hand that showed severe C7. nerve root denervation,He tested my arm strength and reflexes and promptly told me i need surgery again. He wants a mylegram to see what is going on with the nerve. He states the xrays show a solid fusion. As you can tell my confidence level has dropped for this MD. In fact he overly compensated with his sweetness. I'm not sure if he thought I was faking or what.Should I have the mylogram before I get another opinion?My PCP feels I need to act on this quickly so I don't lose the use of my tricep. I don't want another surgery. he told mr they would have to go posterior instead of anterior. I read that really hurts. I'm thinking about doing nothing ,I am totally disgusted.
Any thoughts? Bethy

advertisement

Comments

• I think doing nothing would be counter-productive. Obviously you were having problems, or you wouldn't have gone back for tests. That said, I would run as fast to another neuro-surgeon, TMG and tests in hand, as you can. I sure wouldn't trust the "Sweetie" as far as I could throw him! Good luck, and get movin'.
  • Ditto what Maggie said. Don't let your discouragement with one doc discourage you from doing the best for your health. Hey, the next doc can't be any worse, right?....then again...Just keep your head up.
  • I whole heartedly agree with what maggie said!!!! Not all doctors are (and this is my opinion ONLY) uncaring like Dr. "Sweetie" is!! Get to another doctor as soon as you can hun!!!
  • I have a different take on it. Use and abuse the doc for a myleogram and any other tests possible before getting a second opinion.

If you jump ship midwater it takes a while to swim to shore.

This guy will move fast now, another doc will not necessarily do the same.

"C"
  • I am in the exact situation except I have a fusion that failed and just found out that the disc below is bad. I would so agree to get a CT milogram done. I just had one a few weeks back and a new EMG done yesterday. I was so hopeing that the pain was comming from my arms. But as to my wishing I to hve to have a refusion done in my neck soon.
    A ct milogram is so accurate compared to an EMG it will show more in the cervical region, you could also be having pain in the fusion area but would show up on an EMG.

But doing nothing will only hurt you in the long run, please get the CT miolgram done and go from there. You may feel better getting a second opinion but don't just blow off your current Doc untill you have one lined up. I feel for you and hope to hear a good outcome soon.

Paula
  • I am talking out of frustration and do intend to get to the bottom of this. I am just tired of all the hassle to get to the bottom of my problem.
    i spoke to a Dr friend of mine and he told me that he NS was defensive with me because they always fear lawsuits. That never entered my mind as I was perfectly fine for a year after my surgery. I don't know what went wrong, but want to get to the bottom of this. I am going through with the myelogram and will seek another opinion after those results. I now am getting more attention than I want from the NS and my PCP. I am really scared and crabby all the time. My poor husband and kids!!!
    bethy
  • When was your last surgery? It's incredibly difficult to get another surgeon to see you if it hasn't been at least a year (I know from experience).

You need to have the tests done as soon as possible to know what's going on. If he has to do them, so be it. Trust me, he's going to treat you like gold now LOL. The tests are yours so another doc will likely not need to repeat them. Then you'll be that far ahead.

PM me if you want to talk about this situation. I may have some helpful hints for you.

Griff
advertisement