Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds as Patches

Brian McCarthyBBrian McCarthy Posts: 58
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
Hello
just got back from a follow up with my surgeon. I am 16 weeks post op from multi level hybrid and still in pain. I've been taking 300mg of Tramodol topped up with Ibuprofen and Paracetomol but still in pain. Surgeon has suggested using patches - still an opiate based product.Anyone had any experience of patches and have they worked??
Thanks
Brian
advertisement

Comments

• One of our mods uses patch. Forget what kind. You can PM him...it's paulgla. He would be glad to share his experience.
  • patches is what paul uses i think. I have heard that alot of people that have not gotten relief from oral meds have had success with the patches.
  • Was on them a couple of years ago. I liked them better than the oral meds. You leave them on for two or three days and the thing I liked best no highs or lows no doses to miss. But I had a hard time in the summer keeping them on. Sweated them off, finally had to start tapeing them on with medical tape.

Jaws
  • tried them for a couple months, I think they are great for many reasons, but didn't work out for me. Too much oil in my skin, the patches would'nt stay on, even on my legs/etc. I think using name brand or a particular generic helps most people get around that problem, if your insurance will pay for brand; maybe someone here can suggest which one to use if you DO end up trying them.
  • I was wondering if the surgery you had was a fusion???with bone graph.

I to had been on the fentyna patch I used it last year I did like the way you did not always have to worry if you had enough pills with you or if you didn't have to worry bout missing a dose.

But for me it did not work It just made me feel on the edge all the time. guess it messed with my personality to much. Its a side effect on some meds you have to try them 1st to see if they work for you. I wished it would of worked for me but I seen the side effect and asked to switch.
  • Brian,
    I had a two level lumbar fusion last November. Been on Fentanyl patch-25mcg/hr and Lyrica-400mg/day for the last 6 weeks or so. Best move I ever made. I haven't taken more than 1 Lortab a day since the patch (I was taking 4-6). I still feel loaded, but not 'drug down' like the Lortab. Hard to explain. Hope you never get to the chronic, incurable, intractable stage-but if so, there's always Fentanyl.
  • Started at 12mg and then went to 25mg...then all of a sudden my body was aching all over. My pm thought it might be from the patches so she took me off of them. I agree with the other posters that its nice not to chase a pill all day. The patch really did help me. I have had one of my best feeling days on the patch...I am OC now and it doesnt even get close to giving me a pain free day.
    Once it got warmer outside I had to use tegaderm patches over the regular patches...and they werent cheap either. I would be $2-3 per tegaderm patch.
    I have small children so I was constantly watching the patch making sure it hadnt fallen off...it did become a nuisance at one point. I did have the patch fall off in the night and, as we all know with small children, they like to sneak in out beds in the wee hours of the morning. It was the scariest thing ever when I couldnt find it. So it was a bit of a god send when my PM told me we were going to stop.
    Good luck.

Alina
advertisement