Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hand Pain and Numbness

hootie8987hhootie8987 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everyone. Does anybody know if your Thoracic area nerves control your hands? Mine have been hurting alot lately and I believe it may be from my thoracic problems. They go numb all the time especially at night. Sometimes when I wake up to go to the bathroom they are killing me. Also driving makes them go numb. I told my PM doc and he thinks it is carpal tunnel, which to me makes no sense because I have been out of work for 11 months now. Any ideas I was just wondering? Thanks again.........Hoot
advertisement

Comments

• Hands and arms are c-spine. Which fingers are you having problems with and what part of your arms?
  • Hoot,

I don't know if the thoracic controls the hands or not, it seems my Doctor said no. Having said that, I have thoracic pain and my right hand has pain and also it feels weak and I sometimes have a hard time with my grip and fine motor skills. My right leg is also tingly and numb and some pain running down the back of it. My leg also seems to be weak and sometimes have a difficult time driving, putting my foot on the gas or brake peddle.

I don't have a pinched nerve according to my MRI so the doc isn't sure why this is happening other than to say something else is pressing on the nerve.

Take care
    Suziee
  • Hi Hootie,

I've got problems with hands and arms too, I regularly wake up unable to feel my right pinkie and ring finger, along with pricking feelings down my forearm into my right hand and a regular sensation of my hands not belonging to me.

I get tingling in my left hand too but I am putting that down to nerve damage following my 2 level ADR. These symptons in the right hand are all post-op.

I had nerve conduction tests yesterday to see if it was a trapped nerve in the arm but sadly they were all clear. Both the NS and the 'nerve' man said that it is likely to be caused by problems below the cervical ADR site.

I'm also getting a feeling as if I've been punched in the upper back (see my post about winded feeling in back). My understanding is that the little finger will respond to issues in C8. I have also read that the upper thoracic area can affect arms and hands.

I'm hoping my NS will suggest an mri, maybe you should look into nerve conduction tests to rule out carpal tunnel/ulnar nerve problems first.

Good luck

Sandra
  • What's a nerve conduction test?
  • Suziee, for my nerve conduction tests they linked me up to a computer, put wires around my fingers and shot electrical currents down my arms at various points. The computer measured the amount of time it took for the current to get to the finger. I guess if there were any problems present in the nerves then that would show up in the amount of time it takes for the signal to travel.

Check me out :B , that almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about!!

Someone else may be able to give a better explanation but that was my understanding of it.

All my results were fairly normal, so the symptons I am experiencing are not as a result of damage to a nerve in the arm but coming elsewhere ........ likely the back - gulp :SS
  • That is what PT thinks my problem is.....symptoms started out like rotator cuff but after a lot PT test they have decided it is TOS. I do have a cervical fusion C4-C7 but it has fused according to the xray. My pain and numbness is worst after laying down....they explain to me that is when the nerves are "trapped" coming from the thoracic spine. They have give me exercises to do and also my left side is the one giving me problems so I sleep on my right side with a pillow under the left arm...it does seem to help.

Sharon
  • Hi Haglandc, the pain and numbness is usually in my wrist and middle finger and pointing finger. Yesterday they were numb most of the day. I am left handed but I get the problem in both hands. I thought it also might be possibly from the Kadian. My PM doc just raised it to 50 mg 3xs a day. Take it easy........Hoot
  • I can see why your PM doc would think it's carpal tunnel. Sounds right on the money.

Of course that's just and educated guess on my part.

"C"
advertisement