Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

End of Aug. or September Surgeries!!! Who has an up coming surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone,

I thought that I would start this thread for all those who have an upcoming surgery! Big Hugs for all
((((( >:D< )))))

I will be having a two level ACDF of C 4-5 and C 5-6.

This will be my second neck surgery. The first was a Posterior cervical Foraminotomy at C 3-4 and 4-5.
I was always told I need the fusion and now the date has been set finally. I am a bit anxious. I wish the day was already here.

I will have my mom here after surgery so I wont be alone. I am not married and have no kids so it is only me to take care of me after Mom leaves. i have some friends lined up for extra help and some neighbors that are available and home during the day.

SO for all those with an up coming suregery of any kind I have started this thread to let you all know that we are not alone.
I say thank you all in advance for the support in the up coming days!

For all those with upcoming surgeries...I will say some prayers for you and keep you in my heart and in my thoughts...
Waiting is the hard part!! :W
Good Luck to all!! :H

Chrissy
advertisement

Comments

• Sending well wishes and prayers your way sugar....glad to know that you will have some help there with you , that is great..... :)))

So good luck to all with upcoming surgery and many gentle hugs and prayers sent your way... >:D<
  • Sept 15 am having my first spine surgery.
    I have spinal stenosis.Plan is for hemi laminectimy,facetectomy and laminotomies .Level L4 and L5 lumbar spine.
    Scheduled to be in hospital one day....does anyone think this a resonable time to be in hosp.Or should it be longer?
    I am worried about pain control post op.
    Presently take a low dose opiate derivative about every 2nd day.Otherwise on Tylenol regularly...

Thanks for your advice!

• One day should be more than enough. I know someone who went home that day.... I don't think you should be worried about pain control. If you only take a low dose opiate every other day or even once or twice a day, you should be fine with taking maybe 2 pills every few hours for a week or so! Good luck with your surgery!
  • Micro-D L4-5 on Tuesday...first spine surgery and hopefully the last.
  • I had my ACDF surgery on levels c5/c6 and c6/c7 and a pinched nerve at c6/c7 The end of March this year. I thought everything was healing great, but my shoulder pain continued. Finally after telling my NS over and over about the pain still coming from the shoulder, he sent me over to a OS. Did x-rays, MRI and bingo! I had also injuried my rotator cuff :SS . I am now set to have surgery on the rotator cuff Thursday the 28th. I only had 1 surgery in my life before, now 2 in a year :S. Please say a little prayer for me, this will be the last one.
    JustMe
  • Im having A fusion in a few weeks on my C6 vert (not sure if he is goign C5/6 or C6/7). My first ever, A tad scared, but my mums going to be there afterwards too.
  • Hi all

I did a previous post under fusion being re done in sept.
    Thanks for starting this one. Great to have them all in 1 spot. >:D<
    My date is Sept 17th. Everything taken out from PLIF of L5 and S1 on Sept 9th 2007 and all new put back in this time with L4 thrown in. I did not fuse. It happens sometimes.
    Plus I have alot of pain in my hips to my ankles when I walk which I can only do now for 2 minutes or less.
    If this is NOT the issue then its either 1. T1 disk severe compression w/ mild cord compression OR 2. Aortic calcification w/ poor circulation.

So hey lets give it a shot and see what happens :D

I should still only be in the 4 days. The norm.
    Any questions from others I will be more then happy to try to answer. PM me or write here and I can give you my personal experience. :/

I am not nervous as I know what to expect. Just sick of OR's, and being cut open every year for something or another.

I want a gold plaque w/ my name and own room I deserve it image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

GOOD LUCK TO ALL. Please all keep postive thoughts, do not get yourself all nerved up. Easier said then done as I did this before.

Love you all
    Terri >:D< =((
  • Hi Folks,
    My surgery is coming up on September 17th. I am scared to death. Haven't been in the hospital in 26 years since my second child was born. I've had back problems for better then 30 years and lived with it and neck problems for the last 8 years but in March of this year the neck got much worse and surgery became important rather then a choice. Looks like I will be having 3 discs fused (there is another damaged one below where the fusion will be but doc felt was not bad and would be ok not to include in the fusion). The surgery will be anterier and the graft will be cadaver bone from the bone bank. The docter suggested I use a bone stimulator after the surgery and I agreed (anyone used one of these things). I'll be coming home to a house of men (husband, 2 grown sons) so I am hoping to be able to do stuff for myself. Turned my sister down on coming to help and now she could not get off work if I wanted her. Did I make a mistake?

LJ

C3/4 large right lateral disc/osteophyte complex effaces right ventral aspects of the subarachnoid space and effaces the right ventral aspect of the spinal cord, contributing to focal contour defect of the spinal cord, spinal canal stenosis, foraminal compromise. etc etc. C6/7 disc/osteophyte complex indents upon the ventral aspects of the subarachnoid space and mildly indents the ventral aspect of the spinal cord, stenosis and foraminal encroachment etc, etc, C6/7 disc.osteophyte complex indents upon the ventral aspects of the subarachnoild space, stenosis without foraminal compromise..... I have Degenerate Disc Disease also (seems most of us do)suggested surgery fuse C3/4, 4/5, 5/6. Doctor is talking about leaving C6/7 as is. Also herniated disc and bulging discs at last lumber MRI (but that was over 20 years ago). The back I live with although my current neck problems seem to make my back worse. I find that I can't stand still for any extended time without serious back pain. Neck/shoulder/arm/hand pain makes sleeping difficult. Still working full time.

• Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for responding to this thread!

I know surgery is scarey stuff. I am no stranger to Surgery myself and I certainly hope that after this one I will be able to go some years or mabey never have another one!!! :D

Storm Trooper--- I will be sending out some prayers and good thoughts for you tomorrow. All the best for a good surgery and speedy recovery!! Aug 26

JustMe---I know your getting ready for that rotator cuff surgery and we have been discussing this one for a bit! I will be praying for you as well!! Aug 28

Vertgirl---what is your surgery date? Do you know yet?? This being your first surgery must be very scarey for you so please search the archives for more information. I know many people on the boards have been there with the fusions so we are all here to help!

TerriJV---Are you the same Terri that recently had a wrist surgery?? We have talked and supported eachother before. I feel the same way about surgery and OR's...this ACDF will be surgery # 8 for me in 4 years and a few months, URGH!!! Not all neck surgeries but surgery all the same. I hope this will be it for a while or for ever!!
    Sept. 17th

LJ---I have some other discs that did show pain and tearing with the bulging during the discogram that the Ortho Spine Surgeon decided not to include in this operation. It concerns me too that they will cause problem soon aftter the fusion and we will end up back in the OR. So we will just have to wait and see what happens! Sept 17th

Well so far I think that covers everyone and If i have missed you please feel free to let me know. If I have gotten your surgery date wrong please let me know And i will go back and put the right date in.

The cool thing is that we are not alone and we have eachother to chat with and discuss our fears and experiences.

Please feel free to post to me here or PM or even e-mail me for any added support.

I hope that others will post their dates!!

Best of luck to all!
    ((((((( >:D< )))))))

Chrissy
  • I am 4 days post op from my 2nd spinal fusion. This time around things went a bit smoother than the first time, and I was able to come home 2 days after surgery. I knew what to expect this time around, and mentally that helped...some. I refused to let myself get worked up about it, because I knew my children would pick up on it, and they were worried enough already about me being in the hospital. I am able to get around with a cane, my insurance wouldn't approve a walker for me. With my children starting school today, I will be able to relax and do alot of nothing during the day lol. Good luck to the rest of ya's!!!!
  • Mine is august 26.... can't believe the day is finally here., I remember when it was 4 months ago being planned,,,,, My pain level is so bad now that I just want it over.....
  • Hey cyndi4ever:
    I will say a prayer for you tonight, I wish you the best of luck with your surgery, and your pain goes away. >:D< I will be thinking of you tomorrow. 8>
    JustMe
  • I will also include all of you, and everyone else here, in my thoughts and prayers. May God bless you all, and may He send you to a speedy and healthy surgery and recovery.

Dan
  • I also am having sugery on Sept 25th. ALIf w/BMP L4/5 and L5/S1. Very scared, and trying to do all the research that I can. I am a teachers aid and have to take September - January off just in case. I hated that! i love my job and the kids!!

I must say that I am a pro at surgeries, but this is the one that scares me to death!!! I just hope I can keep my spirits high and an open mind that all will go well.

I have 2 kids, 7 and 10 and my husband here at home and they are all scared to death too! Especailly the kids! I'm trying not to show that I'm scared, but I think they can see it in my eyes. This pain has caused me to have seizures, so they know when I can't do anything else for the pain.

I was just at the ER for pain in my lower right stomach quardrant, and they said it was from all the pain medicine I was taking and I have to stop taking it now. It was just advil cause my stomach couldn't take any more stuff. Easy for the ER DOc to say!! I can't even walk now in the morning and at night I'm walking bent over!!

Well I will keep all of you in my thoughts since I'm at the end of the month. I will have to read up on all of you and see how your progress is!!

Kim
  • Good Luck to all you anticipating surgery. It is such a daunting and stressful event in our lives. Try to think positive, lots of positive self talk is great. Before you know it you'll be on the other side and focusing on your recovery. Each week will get a little easier. Best to compare week to week, than day to day. Tommorrow is three weeks for me and things are going well. I'll say a prayer for all of you. I trully believe that faith and trust in God helps us get through this. "...by his stripes, you are healed", God Bless, Sue
  • My surgery is this Friday August 29th and I am scared!! It is my first spine surgery and hopefully the last. I just don't know what to expect. Is there anyone from England on this forum? I want to know how the surgery differs here in England from that in the US. Good luck to all of you, and to me as well!!!
  • Hello Mitch - yes there are a few of us rom the UK. There was a post a few weeks ago, but not sure under what area. If I find it I'll let you know.

I am hoping to be joining the September surgery group, as I have an MRI due 6th and appointment to discuss options on 9th Sept. Private so should be quick, and we've agreed to operate but surgeon wants new MRI to see exactly what has changed in the last year.

I'll keep you all posted, but GOOD LUCK to all with ops coming up

Snoops
    x
  • Hi again

I found the post mentioned above and it is in Back Surgery forum

You may meet a few fellow Brits who can expand on the differences in UK vs US surgery

Good luck
  • See what happens when you do one thread??? :? ;)
    YES CHRISSY ITS ME!!!!!!!!
    Now you know why I want the gold plaque LOL :))(

I wish eve1 the best of luck that went in today Aug 26th. I know u will not see this till u get back home.

Mitch good luck on Friday!!!!! It is normal to be scared.
    Just think POSTIVE and that ALL will go fine. And it does help during the hospy stay and recovery.

LJ same date as me so I will keep you in my thoughts!!!
    You will do just fine!! Never had a bone stim but alot have.
    I needed more work with my neck as I could not see anything do to the fact that you cannot move your head. Its pretty tricky getting up and putting a shirt on sometimes until you get the hang of it. then my lumbar surgery. BUT REMEMBER I also have known ppl to be by themselves and do great!!!!!!!!!!

brucie I am so very glad they only kept you 2 days!!! I certainly think it is going to be easier to for myself as I know what is going to happen, post op etc. May make for a quicker trip home. When you do not know the first time around you do not know what to expect.

keecho you will do just fine!!!! Keep your spirits up.
    They probably will want you to go off any motrin based products a week before surgery. I would ask about that at your pre op testing. They usually have all the meds listed.
    I was having belly pain to. But they did not take me off them. Instead added a laxative to the mix. Cause as we all know narcs will cause belly issues. but of course eve1 is different w/ what there pain is and what is causing it.
    HANG IN THERE GIRL!!!!!

Hang in there all!!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Hi JustMe!

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I just had CADR on C5-6 last Monday (18th) and was told my pain in my shoulders should be gone. I keep getting pain in my shoulders and was thinking maybe it is just something to do with the healing process. The pain isn't constant but is still present at some point about every day. How long was it that you kept complaining about the shoulder pain before they did anything about it? Did they tell you it is normal to damage your rotator cuff with these issues you were having before? Good Luck on Thursday. I will be praying for you. Let us know how it goes!

O:) Good Luck Again!

SweetyG
  • Thanks for the thoughts Chrissy...i'm in final preparations now. Surprising I slept pretty good last night and didn't medicate.
  • I will be having a 2 level ACDF with cage, plate and screws. I am sure many of us will be recovering together. See you all on the other side.
  • Terri,

I actually asked them to take out my cath less than 24 hours after surgery. I got out of surgery around 5ish Thursday and at 9am Friday they had me out of bed (but still hooked up to all my tubes, bells, and whistles) and down in PT. Once they got me back to my room I told them to unhook me so I could start getting myself out of bed and trying to move around. By Friday night the Drs asked when I wanted to go home and I told them Saturday lol. Made for a great surprise for my girls, who thought they were only coming for a visit. This time around is definately much easier in the fact that I know what my challenges are/will be. I also remember the tricks I used first time around...and just how handy my cane and grabbers are lol. And this time around, I am completely comfortable being alone all day, and with just having my children here with me the rest of the time. I have family just a phone call away, but for the most part, i'm doing just fine.
  • Hi everyone!!!

More of us surgery folks are checking in!

Surgery's for today: August 26th.

STORM TROOPER---We are all wishing you well today in your sugery. Please let us know how your doing when you are up to it. >:D<

Brucie, Glad to hear all went well with your surgery. Now it is time to take a rest and recover! I have never had the fusion surgery so I might PM you at some point to ask some questions??? Heal well...:)

Cyndi--Your probably already off to surgery and we will all be praying and thinking good thoughts for a successful outcome. We will be anxiously awaiting your return. Best of luck! :)

Keecho--Alif on Sept 25th. Kim, So sorry to here of your ER experience. I recently went there myself and we all know it is no fun. I wish you well on your up coming surgery. I feel the same way as you. I am not a stranger to surgery, but I am a bit more concerned about this fusion than any other of my surgeries. (((( >:D< )))).

Mitch- Friday Aug 29th. We all will be keeping you in our prayers and thoughts on Friday. Being this is your first spine surgery I understand your being scared. Please feel free to PM me for any added support that you might need. I am sure if you make a post about your search for others in England who have had the same surgery, you may get some results. Best wishes!! :)

Snoopy-Pending date. We all sure hope you will hae a date set soon. It was very difficult for me to wait and wait and wait for this surgery date. It seemed like forever even though we had discussed the surgery for a long long time. Now the date is here an I am nervous. I hope that they will got things done quickly and you will be on your way to recovery soon! :)

CRASH21-Sept. 10th ACDF. We will all be sending out the good vibes and prayers for your surgery! Surgery is not a fun thing we all know that but we get to do this one together. We will keep in contact and compare note..lol. hang in there we are almost there! :)

Sweetyg- I think I missed you somewhere! I am glad to hear your home and doing better. Remember the healing process can be slow. I am sending out the prayers and good thoughts for ya!!! hang in there. :)

This is turning out to be a good thread! I am having a good time getting to know some new people. If I have missed you please PM me or post here again in BIG letters. I will continue to try and do my best to keep up with eveyone!

To all those who are struggling with their pain today I am sending out the good vibes that things will settle down and you willl begin to feel some relief!

If anyone would like to PM me for added support I am always ready to help if I can. In helping other I find that it actually helps me too.

Happy Day to all!!!

Chrissy

• I am glad you posted this thread. It is really a good idea for those of us in similar situations at the same time to know we are not alone. I wish all of you a speedy recovery. Also, please check in and let us know how you are doing. I will be thinking of all of you in the coming weeks.
  • I hope your surgery is a success and you will be as good as new soon >:D< . My surgery is the 28th now, rotator cuff. #o
  • Im having my first ever on Thursday 4th September and am really scared 1, about the op, 2, about recovery and 3, about when I can start to do normal things again like walk, swim and drive???

Any info gladly received

Sally xxx
  • Sally,

I had my micro on November 15th last year and I was back to doing my normal day stuff in 4-6 weeks. That was perfect for Christmas! You should be able to walk in about a week or 2, but everyone is different and heals at different rates. Just listen to your body, it will let you know when it can and can't do things. Don't overdo like I did! Not good at all!
    They say swimmong is good for the back,just take it slow.

Kim
  • Hi Terri,

Well we are both up for surgery in just 3 weeks. Looks like you have had a lot of surgery over the years and I have had none. I am going to hope and pray that this is a good one for both of us.

LJ
  • In the true spirit of the British National Health Service, my surgery has been postponed until 2nd September. This is all too normal for the NHS, you get everything in place and gear yourself up, only to be let down. Never mind, just another added 5 days of anxiety.!!! X(
advertisement