Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I did it!

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Some of you may remember me from last year. I joined this forum shortly before my L3-5 fusion surgery on 9/24/07.

One of my post-op goals was to jump on my daughters' trampoline this summer.

Well, yesterday I finally mustered up the courage. Not only did I jump on the tramp, I actually did some bum bounces (you know, bounce down on the butt, then back up to standing)! I could have done more, but it was so bloody hot that 5 min. was all I could manage.

I'm not back to 100%, but then again, I'll never be 20 yrs. old again either. I can't believe how great it feels knowing that I finally jumped on that tramp! I can't stand for long periods of time in one place, or walk long distances. But it is so much better than it was a year ago, I'll take it! Maybe at some point, I'll need additional medical treatment for my back, but I'm happy with the progress I've made.

So for those of you facing surgery in the near future, my recommendation is to set some goals for yourself. Some immediate goals, and some long-term goals, then you have motivation to achieve them.

Congratulations for finding such a wonderful source of information and encouragement. Without this website and the support of the great people here, I don't think I would be where I'm at today.
advertisement

Comments

• You set your mind to it and you did it =D>

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Yasmina

That is phenominal! Congrats! Yes I agree it is important to set goals, otherwise we mire around in the "gee okay I had it fixed, now what do I do" muck.

I felt the same way as soon as I stepped off the back of a boat on July 25th and someone handed me my camera system!!! What a rush. Excitement, sense of accomplishment and fear all wrapped into one!

Congrats!

"C"
  • Congrats on meeting your goals....I'm having a micro-d on Tuesday and I hope to play a round of golf by the end of the year.
  • Awesome!!!!

I love hearing the success stories - and the how's of it too. It does give one hope :)

Thanks for posting.

• That is great news! My goal is to get back to work after the first of the year! May not sound that exciting but I have not worked since 20AUG07!!!
  • Thank you so much for posting such positive news. Trampoline jumping after less than a year is impressive!

This is encouraging and helps folks like me who have a lot of anxiety about the outcome, especially since it seems that most folks who've recovered well from surgery and gotten on with life leave the forum, so most posts tend to lean toward the negative issues, such as pain, post-op problems, failed surgery, etc.

Although I certainly don't look forward to the initial pain and hassles following surgery, I'm not concerned about them nearly as much as the "final result." I'm afraid I will go through all of this and in the end no longer be able to do things I love (and have managed to still do for years with a lot of pain). I am scheduled for ALIF/PLIF lumbar fusion in October and trying to work up a positive attitude!

To help with that attitude adjustment, I'll state my big post-recovery goals.
    (1st) being able to walk for hours, like all over Santa Fe or the Las Vegas strip, without excruciating pain; maybe next spring or summer
    (2nd) hiking steep/uneven trails--maybe even actually wearing a full-size backpack, which I haven't done in 11 years; maybe next fall
    (3rd) snowshoeing; hopefully late 2009 (very early winter)
    (4th) skiing: lift-served alpine and climb-up backcountry/randonnée; don't expect to do this until early 2010

I will post my positive results as I achieve the goals! :-)
  • Congatualtions on yoursuccessful recovery! It is so encouraging to hear favorable outcomes and really gives me hope. I conquered a milestone today myself, I drove for the first time in 3 weeks! It wasn't exactly comfortable, but I felt safe. Only problem was when I arrived at my destination, the YMCA, the pool was closed for rennovations :''(
  • Thanks all for your congrats. I come back here to encourage those of you facing the same/similar surgeries to thing positively. Has it always been easy? Heck NO!

I really believe that it's important for those of us with successful surgeries to stick around to encourage those yet facing the knife. Honestly, it is kind of depressing to come back and read about all the people having problems. Heck, I posted plenty of concerns and whines myself. Everyone here was such a great help, that I feel an obligation to pass the favor forward. I may not get here as much as I would like, but I try as much as I can.

My best advice is to have a positive attitude, and KNOW that you will be better. I firmly believe that a person's mental attitude has a lot to do with their healing. Of course some situations are beyond our control. But with positive thoughts, you will eventually achieve the maximum healing possible.

I hope this doesn't come off as preachy, I truly only mean to encourage everyone.
  • Yasmina -

It is so great to her that you are bouncing and doing well. You were one of the forum members who I learned so much from last year when I began the serach to find help for my husband. I will be forever grateful for all of the support, freindship and knowledge. I'm gald that you're back to enjoying life.

Thanks again, Terri
  • Yasmina!
    Congrats on your trampoline jump! Goals are definitely a good thing to have. Again, congrats on meeting one of yours, it's really fantastic!!

Michelle
  • Congrats on your trampoline jumping!! =D> Maybe when the weather cools down a little bit, you can go for a little longer..sounds fun!! It's great to hear of someone doing so well!! :D
  • Congrats on achieving one of your goals, and it sounds fun to do too.

Glad your recovery is going well.

You take care and thanks for posting a cheerful post. Gives all us newbies hope that surgery can go well.

Danni
  • Yasmina, oh, you do not know how happy I was to click on your post.....I am two weeks away from L,4-5 fusion with hardware placement. (spondy, DDD, cyst on spine,on and on)Just reading about you being able to jump on that tramp, it just helped me see that there is a light at the end of this tunnel we travel. I was really starting to talk myself out of doing this....mind games, scared, and dreading it so. Please know what a real blessing you have been to me today, thank you, and heres to you getting better and better with each passing day, lmeston
  • how did u manage that one love bug WHEW WOW is all i can say!!
    knowing me i would of broke something 8}

so HAPPY for you that your doing so well =D> =D>

rub some of that luck off on me for the next surgery!!!! :D :D

miss ya hun!!!!
    love
    terri >:D<
advertisement