Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, Not good at this, but read some messages and just wanted to give you guys some hope. I have total of 5 spine surgeries, leaving a 2 level fusion in neck after 3 surgeries and 1, 3 level fusion in lumbar, then in 10-2004 took out 3 level fusion and did a 9 level fusion from L5S1 thru T8. This is all due to Degenerative Disc Diease, at a very young age, I am 43 now. I am totally disabled, but thank the Lord I can function. I get around fine, just have to modify, ie.. must have basket or stroller to push in order to walk any distance at all, can't stand long. But I feel blessed I had a wonderful dr. So all of you that are recently post op hang in there, it does get better, patience is the name of the game, as long as the pain meds work. That is also trial and error. I found that taking a med for nausea before taking pain meds helped tremendously. As I was having lots of nausea. I also couldn't take care of my toileting needs myself for 2 weeks but I adjusted. Have been to water park with my grandson and feel like I live an adjusted full life, but I can live with it. Best of luck to all of you and if I can give support to you let me know.
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health....
  • Evening. I must say what a positive outlook you have. You do indeed give me hope!! :)
    Thank you for the inspiration =D>
  • Thanks for the comments, sorry all of you are going through so much. It isn't pleasant. As of Saturday a.m.,I bent over to pick something up off of floor and heard a loud pop. Now having pain in low back and spine is actually creaking and wiggling. Went to ER today, did xrays all rods and 20 screws are okay. That gave me a huge peace of mind. Will call neurosurgeon tomorrow to see what else needs to be done. Spine seems very unstable but I certainly do not want another surgery, but I will take it a day at a time. For now am on strict rest to see if that will help it heal itself. Scared to see what ns says.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to read of your situation. it sounds like you are adapting well and your attitude is everything. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • That such a major surgery had such a great outcome for you. I hope that maybe you just strained a muscle and will be back up and around in no time. Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • had first surgery at l4 lamnectomy in 1990 then second at same level 1993 then in 1997 fusion of l4-l5 in 2004 had second fusion l4-l5-s1 allfrom ddd now 2008 i hurt so bad couldnt stand straight up and walk baby steps like bottom half couldnt support my upper half scared went to dr says L1-L2-L3 top of L4 gone need total lumbar fused.one dr says do it second says he wouldnt do that to me.I have learned over thr years nerve damage spreads and what happens if i dont have it.I am getting steriods shots 3-5 a year and what happens to my T section which has ddd as my neckdoes what happens if dont do surgey? anyone know Kippa i read your story and feel for you. can you advise or anyone else :
advertisement