Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weird feeling in L4/5

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery on L4/5 ! I had a spinal fusion,herniated disk etc... Now I had this surgery Aug 12. For the last week a and a half I get really weird back tightness,tingling etc. When I wear my back brace and take it off it still feels like its on. It kinda feels like my instruments (rod and screws) are going to poke out. This is so hard to explain. I get weird sensation and i become uncomfortable. Does anyone know what i mean???? I feel like something has shifted. Maybe I am losing my mind!!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Laurie,

Are you saying you only have this feeling when the brace is off? If so I have the same thing. I *think* it is because we (those of us who are prescribed a brace) use those muscles a lot less and when you go without the brace they let you know that they are working. I was just telling my husband about it because I went to the ladies room without it and I can always tell the difference. I plan to mention it to my NS on Thursday when I go back. If my latest films look good I get to go to a smaller brace, this one is so big. I have a TLSO with sternal pads, Bi-valve overlap, pendulous abdomen with a 15 degree Lordosis (according to the printed label on the thing)....I can't wait to get out of it, I have gotten so I'm less anal about having it on unless I'm up continually moving around.

How are the percocets working for ya? Hope you just keep getting better and better.

If the feeling is really worrying you call your NS

Kel
  • I think you are having muscle spasms. With the brace on the muscles are supported, but once off they are supporting your back on their own. I have had back tightness and lots of strange senstions at my incision area. I think there is just a lot healing that has to go on to get to feeling somewhat normal. Sue

• I agree with Cali. You just had major surgery. I am 11 weeks out and am still inflamed in my lower back as evidenced by how I feel in the corset. I think after my second week post-op I was allowed to take anti inflammatories. They do help and I change them around since they are prostoglandin inhibitors and thus cause stomach upset over time in some people. Hang in there and get some rest.
  • To Laurie Ann. I too have this strange feeling. I had two months ago yesturday, a double fusion on L3,L4,L5, & S1.

My neurosurgeon told me to remove by brace, and that I could start driving after 6 weeks ago.
    Even now, I still feel, before and after, the surgery, that something like a bone or something is sticking out of my back.

Prior to my surgery, I had worked out in a gym for nine years, and done a lot of back exercises. The Dr. said I had no fat tissue anywhere and that he had to cut through 5 inches of solid muscle. So to answer you question, I know what you are feeling, and so far it has not gone away.
advertisement