Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OMG, 10 days to go til my Micro Discectomy!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Im getting really nervous now!!!!!! Will they put a catheter in me??? I have been told they will keep me in for a minimum of 2 nights so hopefully they will let me go soon after that. Im in the UK by the way. Weird thing is the lower back pain and leg pain is not as bad as it has been?!?!?!?! but still got numbness in my left bum cheek and back of my left left and 2 toes. Keep taking tablets for a urine infection but have a funny feelings my bladder is playing up in connection with my numbness??? Anyone else have any ideas on this???? (Have been off work since May 08 and suffering with pain since January 08)
advertisement

Comments

• :) how excited you must be. they will probably insert the catherter after surgery while you are asleep. so it will be there when you wake up. and then you won't need to worry about it at all. it gives you the bedrest you will need. it comes out in a deep breathe and its over. so no more worry. good luck and be excited about your new life! Jenny :)
  • Not sure on the catheter. I had a microD L5-S1 in Feb. 2008. I did not have a catheter - I was walked myself to the bathroom 5 hrs post-op. (As soon as they took me to my room!)

You are going to feel so much better when this is all over!
    I took my own jammies to the hospital - I was walking all over the place the day after surgery. Pacing the halls waiting to be released. Car ride home - not so fun. Own bed - heaven! :D
  • sally- I would ask the drs office if they usually insert a catheter. I had catheters done and they were no big deal as they were put in when I was under anesthesia. So I did not feel it. It only stung a little when it was removed.

I would ask the drs office if it matters or not that you have a urinary tract infection since you are taking meds for it. I am not sure if it matters or not, but I would ask as they may want the infection to clear up for a certain amount of time.. :))) jade
  • the MicroD done outpatient and was awake for most of it. Needless to say NEVER again. It was pretty horrific. I am sure that you will be fine since it is inpatient. Try and think of all of the positives.
advertisement