Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Im just a young un lol, new to this...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all, Im Cheryl, Im 20 (Nearly 21 yay)

I had an emergency double discectomy in March this year, as the pain was that bad, i couldn't walk. The disc had ruptured on the left and right side on one disc, causing sciatica in my left leg and severe sciatica in my right leg as the disc above had ruptured on the right side also.

After my operation i recovered well...at least i thought i was, then i started getting a numbness down my left leg, just now and again, then it became constant numbness or pins and needles, so i was sent for another MRI scan, to which i got the results about a week ago, showing that the disc above the two i previously had operated on had ruptured, forcing pressure on my left nerve. So now i have another operation, which is in 7 days.. which i'm not looking forward too. Im only 20, i shouldnt have to think about staying in and taking it easy to recover from something that doesnt usualy occur in someone my age. Argghhh its not fair.

Id like to point out also, although its not proven that slipped discs can be hereditory, both my parents have had discectomies. Whether this is of any relevance to my shoddy back, i dunno. but at least i have someone to blame lol x
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry that you are going through all of this at such a young age. It does seem to be that once you have one disc operated on it puts more pressure on the ones above and they are likely to rupture. Are you having another MicroD? Good luck to you and I will look forward to reading of your progress.
  • Thank you for the welcomes, and yes its another Microdisectomy that im having, in 6 days time, at least i have my birthday to enjoy first though lol.

Im glad to have found a site where i can share my thoughts and feeings, and any wories that i have. As i can take comfort in others stories x
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are indeed too young to be having such problems. you should be out starting your life. <:P sometimes life is not fair and that is where you are. please make some new friends and be sure to keep us posted as you progress. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hi, any advice you can give me as about to have my first micro discectmy in 8 days, My first ever on L5/S1. Absolutely petrified as scaredof hosptals and needles!!!! Also any info about recovery times etc, when can I expect to be able to do certain things again, ie walking, swimming, drivng? Any info would be great?

Good luck for your op xx

Sally xxx
  • :H
    Hi Cheryl,
    Sorry to hear about your ruptures. i hope the second op goes well for you. personally have chichened out twice and still manage to walk the good walk. Seriously, i understand your pain...been paralised by the discs two or three times before. just hope this be your last rupture.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    Many times I have discussed this topic with several surgerons.

I had my first spinal problem at 19, first surgery at 28 and still have spinal disc problems at 58. (Total of 7 Lumbar and Cervical surgeries)

My Father had 3 lumbar lamenctomy, but the first one was after he was 65
    My daughter at 27 first experienced annular tears at L4/L5 and my son when he was 23 (now 33) has had sciatic related problems.

Is this just a coincidence? Doctors have told me there is no formal proof of direct hereditary connections, but much has to be said about familial dispositions.
    They say genetics may not has as much to play as does shared environmental influences.

Ok, nice words, but to me there is some connection, what that is I am not sure.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome to the site.
    I'm another young one on here dealing with back issues. I'll be 21 in two weeks! <:P

I've been dealing with my lower back issues since I was 14, and they've just gotten worse over the years. I had a laminectomy and discectomy at L5-S1 in June 2007, and a few injections, physical therapy, etc. since then.

My mom and a lot of my aunts have back problems and since I never had any accident or anything, I am assuming that there is some sort of genetic predisposition of back issues.

I wish you a lot of luck with your surgery and if you ever need to talk, I'm in chat at least once a day :D .

Amanda
advertisement