Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I MADE IT!

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I made the first day of work (first day without being able to lay down any) AND the first day of PT. Had one ISS student (needed a hair cut)and 2 for Credit Recovery. My principal is being nice to me - he is going to have one of the aides take my ISS students to lunch for me. That is a real big deal since in the past he accused me of trying to get out of doing what he told me to do.

I had an awful lot of hurt. The TENS unit got turned up almost every hour and took 2 pain pills. Told you'll it wouldn't be a drug free zone. Hope I can find the sick kids cot and lay down a little tomorrow. This afternoon got bad. But I did want to tell everyone Thanks for the good thoughts and please keep them up. As May West said "It's going to be a bumpy wide."

In PT we only did about 30 minutes since they knew I had been at work all day. It is going to be interesting Wednesday.

advertisement

Comments

• Congratulations on making it through the first day! Funny the haircut thing brings you some customers. My son would be in your class if he went to your school :)
  • Well, today seemed a little better. Maybe because I got a little more sleep last night. Back still hurts, but sure glad I have the TENS unit. The only problem is the lady that is taking my kids to lunch is where I was last spring. So I may opt to take the job back and take them myself. That way I will eat a lunch at least 3 days a week. It ain't that bad in the cafeteria AND the walk will count toward my exercise - right?

I had two for Dress Code violations (same kid with the hair cut and a girl with Goth pants that had LOTS of chains - totally against Tex. rules). I am picking up more for my Credit Recovery class. Got one from last year and the prospect of even more.

It is strange that the school jailer is one who gets the hugs. Couple of kids that more or less lived in ISS came by to hug my neck. My high school principal said it best - some of them tried to get me to adopt them and bring them home. No way!! I'm not that stupid.

Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts. Please keep remembering me.
  • I made the first week of school - without laying down during the day. That I think was a mistake. However, we are changing my lunch period to later so maybe I can. I am taking back my taking the students to lunch and will eatwith them and will get a "duty-free" lunch break a little later so that will give me time to rest.

I have developed a limp for some reason and the knee I had replaced last year is hurting - which it had stopped doing some months back. I am going to call the knee surgeon the see what he thinks it could be and then I see my back surgeon on the 23rd and will ask him. So far all pain can be controlled with Vicodin. I tried taking 1/2 of a 5/500 this morning to see if it would help - lowered the extreme hurting some for a little while - long enough for lunch, but then I had to take a whole 7.5/750 to get rid of it.

I know - that doesn't mean lots of pain. Actually I do have a high pain threshold (couldn't have gone 5 years on my knee otherwise) and in some respects that is bad. By going 5 years I had a harder recovery. And have let the back go until they found lots more in there, but it does mean that I can take less drugs. That is good, since I am taking them while at work

Also, I am not having what I call pain. Pain, in my dictionary, is sharp like a knife cutting. What I am having is hurt - to the extreme. Sometimes I find a spot on my upper butt that feels like the surgeons rested their elbows - for a while. Then I can feel the muscles moving back into place - under protest. Then the whole lower back and butt area feel like they are wanting to fall off when I get up to walk.

My fear with the pain in the back, knee and all is that I have done something to my back that was untoward (good old country word). I am not in enough hurt to go to the doctor early, I do try to be careful, but just never know when what I think I need to do lead out and I do it without thinking first.

Anyway, enough about me. Hope everyone is having a "good" Labor Day.
  • Malaw, congratulations on making it through the week. Can you take a cooler full of ice packs with you to work? I used to wear an elastic back support to work and tuck my ice pack inside the back, it helped a lot. Hope things get easier. Sue
  • You are doing great! Don't be too worried about the hurt. I get ungodly pains in my arthritic knees and ankles and it is always around the time that my back hurts the worst. My doc says that it is because to compensate for the back pain I am walking differently putting more stress on my ankles and knees. So maybe it is the same case for you. At least you have a 3 day weekend to recoup a little. Hope you enjoy it.
advertisement