Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for those who have had discograms and ESI

Mmaem03MMmaem03 Posts: 53
Is one more painful than the other? I've had lumbar ESI (actually caudal). I assume I'll have to have a discogram at some point to see the extent of a HIZ tear I have.
advertisement

Comments

• i had a discogram procedure last week..... three levels lumbar.....
    my doctor didnt want to send me saying it was a very very painful procedure.... i wont lie its not pleasant... they give you two valium i got two shots of something in my butt and antibiotic iv....

took about 30 minutes for the dicogram part... then you are put in a ct scan so they can see the damage in the discs... then it was an hour or so in recovery.... the pills they give you and shots... mysteriously dont start working until you are in the ctscan....

you have to be awake and alert for the discogram... cant take any pain pills or anything before you go in... they need you to be in pain if they hit a bad disc... which i had two bad out of the three they did.... i think they add one that they think is okay just as a baseline for the others.....

i slept about 6 hours when i got home... and its painful you should have a pain script for you at home my doctor had given me the percocet when we schedule the procedure..... i only took one. but was on ice a lot!!!!

i have not had the other procedure so cant comment on that one!!!
  • I dont know what an ESI is but I am still recovering from my discogram. I was actually put out for the placement of the needles, I had 4. Then I woke up and they asked my pain response, which was increadably painful on two discs. This only lasted for about 5 to 10 seconds and then they added pain meds to my iv and I was fine. It was actually not that bad because they put me out and the pain lasted for such a short time.

It has now been over two weeks and I still have an elevated pain level, but I am almost back to baseline pain. I havent gone over the results with my doctor yet, but I know they have traced the pain back to on disc, which is good news.
  • Just realized what an ESI, I have had one which helped for a couple months and will be getting a second next Monday. A discogram is far more painful than the ESI, I would find one that put you out and gives you IV pain meds after like I had, I can not even imagine having the pain from the discogram last for more than a few seconds, I think I would have passed out.

The way my proceedure went was bearable, but it has taken a while to get over it.
  • Today I go for my third ESI. I'm not conifdent this is going to make the pain any better for me. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Needanewback....Thanks for the advice about your own procedure. I had not heard of being put out for placement of needles and also IV pain meds immediatley after. This sounds so much more....humane? I wonder why this isn't a standard line of procedure. Thanks again.
advertisement