Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bending post surgery - question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi

As I'm hoping to have a 3 level fusion and 2 discs replaced (isn't it sad that people 'hope' to have surgery....) Anyway, can I ask abunt bending afterwards please?

I've mentioned to friends about buying a grabber to pick things up as I won't be able to bend, and they have asked:

"can't you just bend at the knees?"

Is this a possibility after surgery during the first week or so?

Sorry - seems a logical question but I didn't know the answer

Snoops
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Snoopy!!!

Ok after surgery there was no bending / twisting at all.
    Yes I was able to bend at the knees to a degree. Keeping my back straight. Of course you have to bend your knees to go to the bathroom at points image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    I used my grabber all the time which PT should give you at the hosptial. About at the 2 week mark I started squatting to the floor. without bending or twisting.
    THIS WAS NOT ALLOWED.
    But of course I squatted anyway. and asked my ortho at my 4wk checkup and he said "it was ok as long as I did not do it to much". Now all Drs are going to have different opinions on this and how they want their patient to do things at home. As with how much limitation they want them to do/have.
    At the 4wk mark I was only allowed to use the grabber, walk and walk up the stairs. I only slept on the couch due to the fact of waking all night and not wanting to take the cnance of tripping or falling down the stairs as that was caused my orginal injury to the lower back. So it was a safe place to be in one spot.
    I also did not have a brace that I HAD to wear. One here If I felt I needed it.
    I wish you the best of luck with your surgery!!!!!
    Just remember everyone recovers at a different rate and are given different Drs. post-op instructions. I also never had PT as he thought I was doing so well.

Take care
    Terri >:D<
  • Snoopy,
    Yep you will eventually be able to bend at the knees as in squating but initially you will find that even if you were allowed to do it, it would be pulling on the muscles and quite painful.
    I do "squat ball" exercises at PT and home and still find it pulls some days. My quads are very tight so I find it hard to squat low enough to pick anything up.
    Reachers are a definite must! (also useful for getting things from a height, pulling bedclothes up,I can even change lightbilbs with mine!) :))(

All the best
    Sara
  • Wow Sara, lightbulbs, that is sooo talented! You must be the Olympic reacher champion :))(
  • I was told that I could squat down if I could. I am probably the only person who never got a grabber, although I have 10 little arms to pick things up for me. But seriously I did squat all the time to pick things up and do things that were low to the ground. My legs were sore but I think this actually helped them stay in some type of shape. Listen to what your doctor tells you you are allowed to do as they are all different. Mine did not give me alot of restrictions just the no B L T.
  • Hi Snoopy

How strong are your thigh muscles and knees?

If you are not used to this you may get sore knees for a while! It was a good few weeks b4 i was strong enough to attempt this manovure. In stupidity, I did try going to the floor and I got myself stuck (weakness) so a grabber is a good idea. Bring your life up to waist height.
    Twisting is a no no.

Lightbulbs - I thiknk your just showing off - took me all my time to reach my shoes! LOL, only kidding!
  • Olympics yep why not!

I have screw in light bulbs and it is quite easy once you get the hang of it. I also have a lot of crafty things from the ceiling so am used to using the reachers to do ceiling thing.
    I have also used them to pick up a whole box of miniture beads and sequins that I dropped on the carpet and many a pin with the magnet bit on the side.
    Absolutely the best things made. We should be all given one at birth!!!! =))

Oh and I can pull weeds from the garden as well. :O

Yep I'm a show off.

Sara :)))
  • Sara,
    You must have the King of reachers! A built in magnet? Wow! The one the hopital gave me is pretty sucky, but I bought one at Home Depot that can pick up a pill off the floor, so I thought that was pretty good. =))
  • I went through several brands of reachers before I found these. I dont think we can mention brand names but they are an English brand and yes they are the King!
    I had a pair for 3 years before they wore out and I used them so often every day.
    They also cost a lot more but the cheaper ones only lasted a few months so the investment was worth it.

Sara =D>
  • To everyone. I've now told hubby to put it on the list of things to buy - and no, I don't want it as an early Christmas present.....
  • I had a 4 level lumbar fusion in 2002. Used the grabbit for everything for a long time. Especially pulling laundry out of dryer to fold. Weird position to get to. Legs not strong enough to do deep knee bends thanks to reumatoid arthritis.

I still use the grabbit for lots of stuff. Great little tool. IF you have 3 levels fused bending over will always be limited. But you will have very nice posture.
  • Surgery yesterday and the only must have is the grabber.....I got one for about $15 at local drug store and it too was able to pick up a pill from the ground.

I don't need the raised toilet seat or walker/cane but the grabber is a MUST!
  • I never ended up finding a grabber in stock - so I never had one either. I too found that I would just squat down to pick things up - making SURE I had a hand on something close by to help myself back up.

My knees did feel it from time to time, but I also think it helped to have those large thigh muscles doing some work, kept me feeling stronger.

Although - that being able to pull weeds idea- I think I'll have to get to home depot and go get one!
  • Thanks to all for the helpful tips re bending and what to expect. I've just looked on Ebay (both US and UK) and Grabbers are available there quite cheaply and with a good variety.

So anyone needing one - get to Ebay

Hugs
  • I dispute the toliet seat.

I soooo stared at the loo, the shear thought of trying to bend that far brought tears to me eyes.

Go for the loo seat.. =))
advertisement