Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RF PROCEDURE FAILED!!!! NEED HELP!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
I had RF Procedure done Thursday, August 21st...IT DIDN'T WORK!!!!
The doc keeps telling me give it more time. I feel no different. I feel exactly the same as before having it done. I am soooo upset. I was counting on this. I just was so sure this was the answer. Well---it was not the answer.

I am still in pain and sooo uncomfortable. I just want to get to the bottom of this and have someone figure this out. I want to get out of pain. The weight is adding up. I guess I have gained 10-15 pounds in 2 months.

SOMEONE HELP ME. any suggestions??>>??!!?? I am at my wits ends. Just want to get back to my life. I am sick of laying around. I just can not get comfortable. I just feel so bad. I take pain meds praying they knock me out. I can not live like this. Can someone out there give me some advice. '

What should I do now? How do I get my doc to help me...I know he is sick of me, but I need help. What is the next step? Anyone...if you have any suggestions...let me know. Thank you!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Did you have the nerve blocks done first? My PM doctor wanted to do the RF procedure but I didn't have any relief from the blocks. I got a second opinion. I am scheduled for a cervical scs trial on Thursday.

Karen
  • Cathy..Ive had 3 RF over the last year. It does take time, for me it was around 3-4 weeks to get over the proceedure. I hurt really BAD :''( .
    My last one was a tough one..the doc went after more nerves...SI joints...and L3-4-5.
    I get pain reduction from them, not relief, but I dont have to rely on percoset as much.
    Also, I did get some nasty muscle spasms around 6 wks after it was done. The nerves are angry. X( .and the muscles weren't happy. I hope you don't have that, but just a heads up based on my experience.
  • Sorry peeps, whats an RF?
  • Thanks for your replies. I just wanted instant relief. Doesn't work that way I have learned.

To answer your question about RF=is radio frequency neurotomy...it is where they go in and cartarize the nerves in your back. They try to kill the "pain" signal to help us get out of chronic pain.

How long do I have to wait until I can have this done again. Anyone know? It has only been 5 days....guess I am a little impatient. Just want to get out of pain!!!!!!!! Thanks for the replies to my frustration. I appreciate all you guys out there.
  • I have these done once every 10 months to 1 year. The nerves have been burned but it does take time for them to actually die. You do not get immediate relief but when you do get relief it will last 9 months to 1 year because it takes the nerves that long to regenerate. Were you awake during the procedure? My doc says that having the patient awake is the only real way to ensure that you burn the right nerves. Your nerves are not dead yet and are very angry with you. Have you tried ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off? Did your doc give you pain meds and do they work? If the meds are not helping, call doc and ask for something stronger. It always takes me about a month to get relief from the rhizotomy but it is the best relief that I get from anything. Be patient. Good things come to those who wait. I know that you are in tons of pain right now but hopefully it will be worthwhile. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I was put under. Not awake during the procedure. My doc did not give me an option on being awake or knocking me out.

As far as pain meds...it just seems like nothing helps. I just switched from one pain killer to hydrocodone. Gonna give this a try. Every time I take it I just pray it knocks me out!!!

Today I am worse. I can't sleep because I can not get comfortable. Just such a severe pain I can not even put it into words. I will post back and let you guys know how I am doing. Gotta go take meds and hopefully knock myself out!!!
  • Cambran,

My heart is heavy because I know you and others are in so much pain. I just want to give you encouragement not to give up. You have been through a lot and I know that you would like to see some type of relief. Have you asked the doctor if he thinks there is something in the interim to help make you more comfortable? It has taken me many tries to find something to lighten my pain level. I have not had that particular procedure but understand wanting to be knocked out. Try to keep your spirits up, maybe read some of snookie's post in Lighten and Brighten. Laughter always helps at least for a minute.

Take care of you.
    O-
  • The last one that I had in January was 5 levels and I was in soooo much pain. I really do understand what you are going through. long hot baths or ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off were my best friends. I know that the ones that put you under do not offer an option. During my procedure ( I was given fentanyl and versed, just not enough to put me out) after the probe was inserted it felt like the probe was vibrating. When my doc hit the right nerve it would cause all of the pain that was giving me trouble and he would immediately numb and burn it. I had a conversation with my doc during the procedure in which he told me that he felt that the docs that were putting their patients under were doing them a great dis service by not being able to respond when the painful nerve was touched. He said otherwise it is a hit and miss type thing. Hopefully you will benefit from this as I did. I will keep my fingers crossed and please keep us posted.
  • Hi,

Have had RF 3 times cervical and 1 time lumbar, multi levels and bilateral each time. I have always been told to allow at least 3-4 weeks before knowing whether or not the procedure took properly. As the other posters indicate, it takes that long before the nerves begin to die. I have been told they will not turn around and due the procedure again until 3-6 months have passed, but this could be a doctor preference.
    I have been awake for all the procedures and my doctor told me the same thing about his preference of the patient being awake so he could tell when he was in the right area. On the flip side, be grateful you were not awake, it stings like a bee #:S I also agree on the ice packs, can help a lot.
    Good luck and hope you are having some relief.

Jeff
  • Thanks for all the replies...sorry I havent responded been in a lot of PAIN.
    Having bad weather from the hurricane. No power, rained for 3 days straight with 30-40 mph winds. I ran over to my sisters house for a few hours. She has power.

Anyway...getting back to my RF...I think I agree with you guys...I should have been awake. This being knocked out and doc doing it blind really makes no sense. How does he know when he is on the right spot. I have to make appt. to go see him once our weather gets under control.

I will post back when I can...depends on when we get our power restored. Thanks for all you guys posting. I appreciate you all.
advertisement