Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is it common?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Is it common for my shoulders and back burn. I had surgery on 8/19 and now it feels like my spine (back)and shoulders are on fire. Is that because the muscles are wakening up? Or am I moving around and doing to much? I hate to call the doctor to have him think I am I whiner. I can control the pain with medication. What is really wierd is the right side hurts and it was the left side that hurt before surgery.
advertisement

Comments

• could be from the healing process but there is no way to really tell , so you may need to call the doc just to be on the safe side.You are also very early out from surgery and it does take time to recover. Btw , what surgery did you have? The reason that I ask is because after my surgery I had aches and pains in places that did not hurt before surgery but alot of it went away in time. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Take care...Miki
  • I had a c5-c6 acdf. I also tried to sleep in my bed last night with my wedge pillow. Slept 2 hrs got up put brace on went back to bed for another 2 hrs got up to pain meds went back to sleep for another 2hr. Scary sleeping in bed, worried I will screw up my neck somehow. I was sleeping in my recliner, but I know that is not the best for you either.
  • sleeping eluded me as well but I have been an insomniac forever so it wasn't just from the surgery. I also had ACDF C5-C6 and I was very sore in the shoulder and upper back area , my surgeon said that it was because of the way that I was laying during the surgery and just the fact that I had surgery.....kind of makes the body go all crazy for a bit. Anyway , you may still want to check in with your doc just to be sure. Btw , I slept on the couch for the longest time after my surgery , it took me awhile before I was back in my bed.....take care....Miki
  • I had the c5/c6 done in March of this year. The doctor told me that those symptoms were very normall for the first couple of weeks.
  • HI,
    My back also feels like that sometimes when I do too much. Take it easy. I think that we want to get better so much that we push ourselve too far. This is major surgery and we need to let out bodies heal. I think because we didn't stay long in the hosp and the insicion was so small we don't realize that we have had major stuff done. Our bodies will let us know that we have gone too far. Don't be afraid to call you dr, if for nothing else peace of mind. they were paid very well for what they did and this is part of the process. I know my dr. keeps saying how well I am progressing but kinds brushes my question off. We need to speak up we know our bodies. Hang in there and keep us posted.
  • I had a ADR in my C5-6 the day before yours. I tend to have good days and bad days. I'm glad to see others have had pain in the areas too because I myself was starting to get worried. I know it has to be diong to much because I did a whole lot today. I need to just take some percs I think and I hope to wake up tomorrow feeling better. I hate to take the meds but I guess it is what I have them for right?! Well here's to us with a smooth(at least smoother) recovery!! Take Care.
advertisement