Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What's a good pain medication for herniated disc pain?

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
I'm on 15 mg of Amrix, 25mg atenolol twice a day for my MVP symptoms, I take one tylenol w/ codiene 3 for my headaches/nerve pains on top of the head, Klonopin .25 two to three times,.5 at night to sleep, 30 mg cymbalta, and 10 mg lexapro.

I have a not bad enough for surgery C5 herniated disc, forminal impingement at c5/6 , osteoarthritis with bone spurs in the same area.

I experience daily headaches that feel like something is pushing on top of my head and some pains similar to my neck and arm pain.

My doc thinks once I move more it will hurt less. What is a good pain drug to help with pain like this?
advertisement

Comments

• works best for you. Unfortunately we are all so different that meds that work well for me may do nothing for you or vice versa. Have you tried any of the long acting opiates?
  • by saying your doctor thinks it will be better when you move?
    Either way - your doc should take care of you until that move takes place. Whether it be in a week or in a year - you shouldnt suffer. If you are in pain, let them know.
    I have been on trials for meds for the last year and just recently "think" I may have found what works...so its not something that happens over night either. I am sure a lot of other members can agree to this one - it takes time to find what works best for you. So try to get started on that now.
    Good luck and keep up posted.

Alina
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Since you indicate that your condition is not at the point where surgery is required, I wouldn't even think about ER type of medications nor would I believe the doctor would.
    There are so many other alternative treatments that need to be looked out besides pain medications.
    Physical and Aqua Therapy, Ultrasound, Massage, Passive Traction, Acupuncture, Spinal Injections to name a few.
    Always remember that pain medications while help manage pain really only mask the pain, they do not address the problem. The other items mentioned above are intended to try to fix the problem
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • with above posters. Not trying to skirt your issue but there are over 10k members here and you could get 10k different opinions. You and your doc know whats best for you. I've found that it is best to tell the doc what your symptoms are, ask him what his solution would be and not make specific suggestions about meds.

My dad is 70 y/o and had kidney stone. At the hospital they gave him daludid. He got sick and asked for morphine instead (because it worked for his last stone). The nurse questioned why he was asking for a specific drug and looked at this 70 y/o man like he was a drug-seeker.
  • Yeah...I want to go back to physical therapy and try traction. I don't want to be on heavy drugs. I've tried the fentraynl or whatever it's called patch, which made me sick after 8 hrs, then I've tried fiorinal w codiene which worked before my neck started to bother me a lot. I've tried darvocet but I think the narcotic in it doesn't agree with me too well.

The doctor mentioned something about my pain being natural pain and that's why the meds dont really work...Whatever that means.

I might look into neurontin. I just can't stand waking up or sitting for the first time and my back and neck immediately start burning etc.

• meds such as opiates are actually easier on your organs and your system than some of the meds that you are already taking. For some reason I had the impression that you have been on these drugs for awhile. How long have you been taking pain meds? I certainly did not mean that you should start out on long acting pain meds. I did not start on opiates until after my failed surgery. The doc obviously did try you on fentanyl so he must think that you are at that point.
  • I hope you find something that works for you.
    The injections don't fix the problem either.In my opinion-they are also a mask for the pain and can have unwelcome side effects.I've had several injections myself,but I'm no longer getting them.There is just too much info.that the Drs.are not telling us about these injections.

I'm taking:

lortab 7.5 4x daily
    Lidoderm patch 5%
    Tizanidine 2mg 3x a day
    ativan .5mg 2x daily as needed

I also use meditation and relaxation techniques.
  • Well I've tried two or three different muscle relaxers in the past 9 months. I have tried four different pain killers for my headaches mainly....And I've tried three different psych drugs two of which I'm still on. I don't want to be on amrix and tylenol with codiene for much longer, but the pain just gets to me sometimes, thus why I then need psych meds for anxiety and depression...I really wish I could take one or the other, but without both I'm not sure how I would do. I do think my headaches are getting better and some days I have good days with the pain, but some days Ive got pain, that annoying ache and burning pain and that is when Im like screw it.

Laying on my back with a heating paid or ice pack is how I feel best. Walking or sitting makes it worse or just there. At any rate I'm trying to get it together school for me starts this week and I don't know how my body or psyche will react.
  • How is it that you have to endure that amount of pain on a daily basis and require pain meds daily but it's not bad enough for surgery? If you have disc on nerve impingement and bone spurs causing this type of pain and this doctor says it's not bad enough, my personal opinion is find a new doctor or at least a second opinion. I've had c3-c4 herniated disc and my doctor immediately said I needed to get this taken care of, the longer it is put off the more damage is done to nerves, strength and muscle tone. As far as relief, I found that Klonopin .5 and Hydrocodone 75/325 works well for me. But as others have said, what works for one may not for another. Good luck, I hope and pray all works out best for you.
  • I 100% agree with this person I have been on pain meds for three herniated discs since 2007 i have tried nerve blocks epidural injections nerve burning physical therapy and even a partial lamonectomy with partial discectomy I have had no relief and things have gotten severe I am losing the function in my right leg it is totally numb now I have to walk with a cane or a walker and I'm only 35 but the medicine I am on now is intense it is opana 20mg 2x daily and Percocet as needed up to 4xdaily talk with your Dr and try anything start small you'll find the right thing for you. It takes a lot of meds for me because of how long I've been on them I started out with vicoden and fentynal patches
    J.J.Grey said:
    works best for you. Unfortunately we are all so different that meds that work well for me may do nothing for you or vice versa. Have you tried any of the long acting opiates?
    Jeanette Hancock
  • When your doc says it will hurt less when you move does he mean exercise? If so, I would agree. It took me quite a while to find the correct PT, exercise routine & certain moves truly make it much worse but finding a great P therapist was a huge step in the right direction for me.

I agree with others that finding the right combination of meds takes time...& changes over time! Ugh! Given both your main concerns have you tried meditation, visualization, aromatherapy etc? For me they're not 'life changing' in the way meds can be but they definitely help enough to make a difference.

I believe in throwing everything short of the kitchen sink at the problem & keeping what helps, even a little. I drove myself crazy over the years trying one thing & then another. Then I realized it takes lots of different approaches to get my pain to a livable level.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • MeydeyMMeydey Posts: 203
    edited 09/16/2015 - 8:41 PM
    How long were you on Fentanyl patches? Sometimes it takes awhile for the med side effects to ease up. Years ago I was on 100mcg every 2 days and had headaches and nausea. Then I figured out that I placed them on the wrong area-it supposed to be where there is an ample distribution of fat tissue like your stomach. I had it in my upper chest then switched it to my belly and I felt much better after. Anyway it's hard to know what works for you because everyone is different. I couldn't tolerate Neurontin either..nodded off in traffic. Never took it again. Luckily I wasn't alone in the car. I felt out of it, confused, and drowsy while on it.
    How long have you been dealing with the headaches and cervical disc herniation?
    Ol' Spiney...Microdiscectomy L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central disc herniation L4-S1, sciatic nerve damage, retrolisthesis, epidural fibrosis, facet arthropathy, severe DDD & OA.FBSS- Medtronic SynchroMed II pump.
advertisement