Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! I'm getting a "PRODISC-L TOTAL DISC REPLACEMENT!" L5-S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:SS ok.. so i'm scared!
i'm only 21..
i have a 4 year old and a 9month old..
and i've been having lower back pain for YEARS...
but got worse when i was preggy with my second child..
thinking it was only sciatica... i left it alone..since ob-gyn said it will go away after i give birth..
but obviously it didn't go away!
i've gotten my xray and mri done and come to find out,
i've been having a TORN DISC FOR YEARS!!!
my back is soooo arched when i stand it looks like i'm trying to push out my upper body!
so now.. they want me to get a discogram... which i'm scared of cuz it's a really long needle!!!
then after i guess i'm having the surgery!
i don't know what my condition will be when i get out!
will i be wearing a brace?
will i be functional enough to take care of my kids?
drive?
basic house choirs?
HELP!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Hello JessAllen -

I am so sorry to hear about your torn disc. What disc level is torn? I had two annular tears about 8 years ago at L3/L4 L4/L5 and finally eneded up with a two level artificial disc replacement using the Charite device. Less than 8 months later they were removed because both devices had migrated, one by 5 cm. My second surgery was life threatening because of all the scar tissue from the first surgery to put the devices in through the front. I had my inferior vena cava cut (requiring a blood transfusion with 6 pints of blood) and numerous other complications. Ultimately, I ended up with a 360 degree 2 level fusion.

Do they know how big the tear is? Have they had you do any physical threapy or spinal injections? I know I am asking you a lot of questions, I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did. Has your doctor dicussed surgical options with you at this point?

Is there a reason why you want the pro disc device? Please feel free to send me PM anytime. I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Unfortunately, I have been through both surgeries and will be happy to share my insight on both.

Hoping you feel better soon...
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi jessallen,
    Someone has posted a very good thread on preparation for surgery but I can't remember who or where. I hope someone will chime in and point you in the right direction. Please give it some time, this message board is world wide. Some are surly asleep.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I had the flexicore l4-5 but arfiremedic had the prodisc that area . look him up on this website. send us pms as well. good luck
    chelle
  • Hi JessAllen,

I had the Pro-Disc put in L5-S1 on June 2nd, 2008. I was in the hospital (actually a surgery center) for one night. They had me up and walking 3 times the day of my surgery. I then came home and luckily had family to help take care of me and my two kiddos (9 and 7). By about 2 weeks, I was walking 1 mile a day. I began driving around the same time (once I was completely off any narcotics). I was not allowed to bend for 4-6 weeks or lift anything heavier than 15 pounds. I had one of those "grabbers" to help me get stuff off the floor. If you have someone to help you with your baby, I think you will be just fine. I am currently finished with PT and am walking and doing the elliptical machine. I am also doing lots of stretching as my hamstrings are very tight. I feel great and take nothing more than a few Advil at night to help with muscle soreness from the day's workout. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck to you!
  • That's good to hear slmay. :-C
    May I ask who was the surgeon?
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008

• Dear Jess Allen Good luck with your surgery. I had 2 ProDiscs implanted at L4L5 and L5S1 on Jan 11 2008. It is the best decision I ever made .From the moment I got out of the hospital( 5 days ) I have been pain free and have not taken 1 pain med. I am golfing ,biking and have returned full time to work. The stories about the Charite disc should not deter you from the ProDisc surgery. My surgeon quit doing the Charite replacement because he was concerned about the poor design and movement of the disc. The results with the ProDisc are much better.
  • Welcome to spine health. You will find a ton of wealth of information on here and patients/people just like yourself.
    Especially with young children and being worried about surgery.

First Im not familar with discograms. I know they just want to find the right spot. I of course won't let the dr near me with one. The can find all they need on the MRI but that is just me.
    So with or without this test they are doing surgery no matter what????

Do your homework. Also some insurance companys will not approve this procedure. So check into that also for your sake.

Yes most likely you will need help afterwards as you will not be able to pick up your children , housework etc. Usually they just want you walking till your post op check up. All drs are different with braces etc. I did not have one.
    I am able to do things at waist level. And everyone is right the GRABBER is the best invention. To pick things up off the floor.

Here is some more info:
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/artificial-disc-replacement/total-disc-replacement—prodisc

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/artificial-disc-replacement

GOOD LUCK TO YOU we are here to support you in anyway that we can through this process and after.
    Terri ;) >:D<
advertisement