Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PMS and back pain! Woman's topic!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,465
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm curious? This is for the women on here who already have severe chronic pain in their lower back. When you have PMS, and the week leading up to it, does your back pain get so out of control that you absoloutely can't stand it? And if so, have you found anyway or anything that makes it feel any better? This is a major problem that I have to face every month with intense dread. I'm actually looking forward to menopause some day just so this will stop. I also get migraines too but that is another subject! I am open to any suggestions. I don't even bother to bring this up with my PM because he just blows everything off anyway, and he would be clueless to this subject.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Jewels,

I can remember the back pain prior to my period coming - I used to want to rib my back outta me lol. I tried the heat pads that you stick on your skin, the health therapy used to really help me, that and you got to exercise - even if in pain, gentle stretches etc will help greatly.

I dont get them anymore just the hot flushes etc of menopause at 32!

Hope this helps,
    All the best
    Danni
  • I alway found that swimming helped tremendoulsy with that lower back pain both before and during my menstrual cycle. Just floating in the pool helps. Unfortunately I don't have a pool anymore.

Griff
  • A couple of things to consider are hormone levels and blood vessels.

I know that myself, based on my hormone levels, my sensitivity to pain can be altered.

Another consideration is that blood vessels can compress nerves just like a disc or bone. Many surgeries are performed (micro-vascular decompressions and vascular decompressions) that simply reduce or lift away blood vessels that are compressing nerves.

"C"
  • I have always had back pain with PMS but since my back has been injured, it's excruciating! I face every single month with pure unadulterated dread. I'm not allowed to take birth control pills because I have tumors on my liver which the hormones are known to make them grow even larger, I think that would have been the best relief, but since I can't, Uugh! Has anyone tried heating pads? I haven't, I actually just thought of it. It's going to be coming around again by next week and I "have" to find something that will help! :SS
  • Oh my gosh! Swimming pools are like a gift from God! Yes, I have found that when I just float in a pool that every ounce of pain just fades away. It's like a miracle! Unfortunatly, I too no longer have a pool anymore either. It's also the best way to get excercise without any real pain. We are planning on moving in about a year or so, and we plan on buying a house with a pool or having one built but I have to wait in the meantime.
  • Danni, if you don't mind my asking, what brought on menopause at such an early age? If you would like to keep this private I will certainly understand. I haven't tried the stick on heating pads, but I do use the Lidocaine patches that are prescribed for me. They really don't help at all but I keep trying. I do stretches everyday but instead of relief, I always end up getting stuck in a position and it takes awhile to get unstuck. LOL! That happens when I'm stretching my back muscles. I actually wind up "stuck" in one position and can't move, it's awful but I still have to laugh about it.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Jewels

P.S. Are you taking hormones to help you deal with the menopause?

• "C"! I have a question for you. Have you heard of EDITED, the **EDITED**? And if so, do you have any opinions of it? My husband and I are working on saving the thousandss of dollars that it's going to take to recieve help from there if they think they can in fact help me. If you know of anything negative I would sure appreciate knowing before I get my hopes up too high.
    Thank you!
    Sincerely,
    Jewels

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.
  • incredibly. I went to my PCP and told her I thought I had some thing bad going on. It kept getting worse over the years. Finally I had a new PCP and she listened when I asked for a Hysterectomy :SS I was dieing about 3 weeks out of the month. I had some test- ultrasound and blood work and that showed nothing. I went on YAZ low dose pills and I stopped having my period- it has been great. I also stopped having migraines. No more mood swings, bloating, cramps etc.

My back pain never went away- and now we know why.... See siggy 8>

Julie
  • When I was having my periods and always had cramping I would lay down on the floor with my butt against the front of the couch and rest my legs on the seat until I got relief which was only about 5 to 10 mins.even lay on the bed with your head at the foot of the bed and our feet on the pillows I had very heavy periods starting in 6th grade until I was 49(now55). This has worked for my daughtr and she's told her friends to try it. It really can work My hyster. was the one of the best days of my life. :O)
  • I was on the depo provera shot when my back first decided to take a hiatus so at first the "monthly killer" didn't bother me at all, because it never came. About 2 years ago, however, my ob/gyn took me off of it and it took about 5 months for the killer to return. And it did with a vengeance. I am one of the lucky ones (3 days tops and i'm done) but those days I was honestly on my couch not being able to barely walk back and forth to the bathroom, the cramps were that bad, just adding to my back pain. I got myself back on the shot again as soon as I could and i've blessed it since. February of this year though, I received my last shot. Thankfully, I haven't been cursed (yet) but i'm waiting. I am also in the process of trying to find a permanent pain solution to all of this. Wondering if I can find a dr who would remove the "oven"....seeing as how I am done with the baking (my two are 10 and 7, no desire for more, don't think my back could handle it after 2 surgeries even if I wanted more). And if not remove it, some other solution so I don't need to be on medication for it anymore. Good luck to y'all and if ya have any suggestions i'm more than open to them!!
  • I always found a muscle relaxer helped with the back pain... I had a hysterectomy in 2004 so I don't suffer from PMS type of back pain any more. ">image
  • I actually went through menopause at 42 but it does run in my family. I felt the same pain that you are describing! I have something called the back buddy. You can get it at any drug store. It is a back wrap that has some type of beads in it that you fasten around your waist with velcro and it gives off wet heat which is what you need. You heat it in the microwave for 1 min and 30 seconds and it stays warm for hours. You can actually sleep with it on since it will not burn you. Even though (HURRAY!) I was lucky enough to go through menopause young I have not forgotten how intense the pain gets right before. Good luck.
  • Oh yes, I have those too! I have tried almost every prescribed migraine med on the market and none of them work for me. Of course they don't, I'm a walking science experiment! I should donate my body to science :))( I'll buy a back buddy and even try the laying with the legs up thing. I'll try anything that anyone suggests! I am open to everything. I just can't take anything for birth control. I remember back when I did use birth control, I didn't have migraines and the pain in my back & cramps were nothing! I miss those days. I do use Flexiril but that doesn't help that much. Although I hate for all of you to have to go through the same thing, at least I don't feel so alone or that I'm the only one.

Why is it that the women have to deal with all of this? I think men should have gotten half of these problems just to make it a bit more fair! Men have it sooooo easy..........
  • hello all,
    i can understand all these symptons as i to am affected like this.
    i have an appointment with my gynie on 12th sept to discuss this topic so i will keep you all posted as to what answers she comes up with.

LOVE PAULA
  • I can't add much in the way of help but believe me, I did my sentence with Aunt Flo! Thankfully I was blessed with a compassionate OB that did a hyst almost 8 years ago! (too bad he left my right ovary which ended up having to come out after I had cancer, but I made it thru it so all is well!) That was all before my back problems began but oh my...my life was miserable then and the last year of it I bled the entire year, no shit...I would bleed so heavy that I would have to wear a super pad to back up a super plus tampon and I would still bleed thru all of that-I had to put newspapers on the seat of my car when I had to drive somewhere and one time I was stuck in traffic-in 45 minutes the blood had leaked thru the tampon, pad, papers and into my car seat. I had a few blood transfusions, lived on Vicodin HP....anyway, ya'll get the point. It was absolutely awful.

I will pray for all of you women plagued by "the curse"....hopefully you will be blessed with either a hyst or menopause before you go batty from the PMS/extra pain!

I feel for you all, I really do, and the only advice I can offer is heating pads, pamprin, and pain meds if you've got em or can get em.

Good luck ladies....take care of you...
  • I'm sure that all of us would appreciate any advice and tips that can be offered. I will be waiting with bated breath!
  • Well, it's already happening! :SS I hate this, the lower back pain sets in about 2 weeks ahead of time and doesn't let up until 2 days after I have started. It has started coming on tonight along with the cravings! Does that affect all of you too? Chocolate? Salty potato chips? Maybe even chocolate covered potato chips? That actually sounds really good to me right now! The evil }:) bloat has set in too. I think I'm going to try Pamprin, I have never tried it before but I hate all of the extra bloat that I carry at this time. I'll see how it works. Now all I have to look forward to are the mood swings and cramps, Yippee! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
  • Yes, being on birth control actually helps me. However, ice, some meds, and a good cry usually gets me through it. It's a sad thing though, not ever having problems until the back problems. But yes, def birth control.
  • I cry for two weeks leading up to mu peroid! I'll cry over a commercial, a sweet card, losing the remote, anything! LOL! I turn into a blubbering mess! It gets embarrassing when my husband catches me. BTW, I baked some brownies last night. I always keep a box of mix in the pantry just for emergencies and this is one. I kinda cringe over using a packge mix, I always bake them from scratch but sometimes I don't or can't deal with that. Heck, I'll cry over a good brownie too!

Yes, it's acually a damn shame that we have to deal with this additional pain on top of what we already have to deal with on an every day basis. It certainly doesn't seem fair just because we're women. Maybe I wouldn't feel as morose over it if I had been able to use my organs for their intended purpose but here I have them and can't have a baby. That's something else I cry about, only I do that all of the time. I wish that I would have had a baby when I was younger, but hindsight is 20/20. Well, I'm prett sad now, time to eat another brownie.
    Peace everyone,
    Jewels
  • I completely know this pain you talk of. About 3-4 days I get SEVERE back pain......when it 1st happened I thought a screw came loose or so all my vertebrae collapsed. The pain was that intense. After going through it now for 4 months and relizing the pattern, I am better prepared to stay in bed with my heating pad, muscle relaxers and pain pills. Heck, I'm already there on a daily basis now! lol

I don't know why we have this pain but it is really bad. At least it does go away!! =D>

michelle
  • It is a comfort to me to know that I am not the only one that suffers this every month. I tried to talk to my NS about this but he thinks I'm nuts. Thanks for starting this thread Jewels. I too am in bed with 10+ pain for about 9 days each cycle and nothing will help but 1000mg of Ibuprofen which I am not allowed to take because of my fusion. The cramps and back pain are horrendous. I also have fibroids and endo but my GYN won't do a hyst. on me. It sucks! Thanks for letting me vent.
  • Carr, I can feel for you. No, you are not alone. I was actually surprised on how many responses there have been, this is obviously a difficult situation for many of us. I take it that your NS is a man!? Of course they can't understand. If men ever had to go through having a period just one time the male population would probably fall to zero! =)) My extra back pain can last up to two weeks. }:) I dread it every single time when I know that it's coming. Please feel free to come back and vent anytime, this can be the official PMS griping site! BTW, have you tried taking Aleve for the pain? I find that it helps better than the other OTC med's. Good luck and hang in there baby!
    Jewels

Does anyone know why they call it PMS? Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken! =)) Sorry, I love that joke!
  • Hi! Newbie here!

I'm 40 and I've always had really bad PMS.

This is what I have found helps-

***taking a multi-B vitamin every day;
    ***also taking a supplement of MAGNESIUM which is geat for balancing hormones;
    ***for period problems of any type, I recommend a herb called Agnus Castus. Other names it goes by are Chaste Berry or Chaste Tree. I can't recommend this one highly enough! I have terrible pains the leave me writhing: they were so reduced after even the first month of taking this supplement. I have PCOS and it has helped with lots of the symptoms.
    ***For bloating I take flaxseed oil capsules. I know they do the job because last month I ran out and didn't buy any- then my boobs swelled so bad it was painful to walk- I had to wear 2 bra's, and sleep in one too!!!! So I started taking them again and this month I am OK!!!

***For low back pain during period I use a stick-on heat pad and take Ibuprofen.

I'm in the UK so I'm sorry if I use a different name for stuff. It might be sold under a different name in the States; check on Google.

I am waiting confirmation of spondilolysthesis. My mother has it and my symptoms are the same, and the pain- occurrence, place, type etc., all sound the same as hers. I can't take anti-arthritis drugs because they react badly with my asthma. I have to wait another 4 weeks to see my Doctor. Hey ho! So I have bad lower back problems at the moment. But yes, I do know the dull ache that periods bring, and the way they make all other pains even worse!!! :''(

Try a heat patch and soft massage over the area. I can't swim, but like a soak in a warm bath. That always helps!!

Over here we have Ibuprofen in a gel, a mousse, a patch and a spray. I've used them all on my back. The spray is great but makes me wheeze if I breathe it in.

Hope you manage to rest.

;)
  • P.S.!!!!

For the worst period cramps, incl. back pain:-
    as well as an anti-imflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen, I take an anti-spasmodic called Hyoscine Hydrobromide. Over here it is sold over the counter (i.e. no prescription from a doc needed) as an anti-travel-sickness drug.

I buy a pack called "Joyrides" which has small dose tablets of hyoscine in, sweetened ones, designed for schoolkids to use on long trips! Just one is strong enough to take the edge off the pain. Side effects for me are a dry mouth and sometimes sleepiness. I save it for when it's bad, or for when I suspect it's going to get that way. I can usually tell if it's going to be a really bad month or not. :SS
  • YES!!! We took our son to a hotel for a night, so we could spend a day out at the pool... HEAVEN!! I had no idea how much just floating in water could relieve pain!
  • Ok... I saw this pamphlet in my OB's office a few months ago. It is for pre-menopause women, who are done having children.

(If i remember correctly) Its a 15 minute in office laser procedure. They use a laser to remove the lining of the uterus (again, going off of memory, I will have to look it up to get facts)

After this is done, there may be a few weeks of mild bleeding, but after that... done. No more Aunt Flow. Its marketed to women who suffer from severe menstrual symptoms... I will post the info when I find it.
  • OK, its called endometrial ablation... I don't think that it would help with the symptoms of PMS, it seems to be an answer for severe heavy bleeding that interferes with your normal activities...

google "NovaSure", or "endometrial ablation" It may be worth looking into.
  • Would an anti-spasm drug and a muscle relaxer be considered the same thing? I take Aleve which is Naproxen Sodium, I used to get it with a prescription years ago for painful periods but of course it's now sold OTC. It does help with the cramps some, but not at all with the back pain. I haven't tried taking a muscle relaxer for my PMS back pain, I wonder if that would work? I don't have any children so I've never noticed if there is anything called "Joyrides" here in the US. Maybe a mother on here knows? A mother in the US? :?
  • How many of you ladies have the Lidoderm patches? Have you tried those for this type of evil }:) back pain? I have them but I never use them. They just don't seem to do anything for me at all, no matter when I use them. I've put up to 3 on at the same time, my back will be covered with them. You're allowed to use up to 3 at a time. I've even had prescriptions for the Fentynal (however it's spelled?) lollipops and also the other heavy duty narcotic (I can't remember it's name but it's widely used in hospitals after surgery) and neither one of them work for me. Even when I've had my surgery's and have had them in my IV drip, they have never worked. I have no idea why my body doesn't accept these med's and allow them to work, aren't they all pretty much the same thing? I've always wondered about that. It's weird! :O

P.S. They need a Smiley Head with a light bulb over it's head!
advertisement