Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain's getting worse!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
:H Hey there, Lyssie here! I'm 19 years old and suffer from severe lower back pain due to a herniated disc and osteoarthritis of my facet joints. I am fused for scoliosis at T11 to L3 and all my problems are under my fusion, my surgeon said that it's the scoliosis taking it's toll. He even mentioned ADR as a last resort to replace the herniated disc. I am really flaoting towards the idea of surgery because the pain is getting worse day by day. I start college on the 9th. I'm so scared. In pain. I have had PT and been swimming. Nothing seems to be helping at all, not even the meds I am on. Leg pain is also getting worse after a few months relief from a nerve block. I just don't know what to do now, HELP.

Lyssie xx O:)
advertisement

Comments

• Have you gotten a second opinion on the surgery? Sometimes in our haste to quit hurting, it's too easy to just give in to what might seem as a quick fix.

Hang in there.

"C"
  • Great advice from C. You really need a second opinion. Surgery is not always the fix that we hope for. Has your doc ever mentioned trying a rhizotomy (nerve burn) for you? I have no idea if it would be helpful in your case but sometimes if you get a few months from a nerve block you can get a year or more from rhizotomy if you are a candidate. You are soooo young. just do not rush into anything as nothing is a guarantee of relief and surgery can not be undone. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Hi Lyssie,
    So sorry you have to suffer at such a young age.
    I personaly do not know the pain of scoliosis but my friend's daughter had it pretty bad.
    Lost touch with them so now that she is your age I am not sure what has been going on.

The others are right second opinion is always in need for your type of case. 2 is always better then 1.
    Not telling you to go do that as I am not a professional.
    Then if both say the same thing then you pretty much know where to go from there.

Have you gone to pain managment for long term pain relief??
    Yes some just do treatments as in shots etc. Others just do long term meds. Some short term.

I would really hate to see you have another surgery if not needed right away especially starting school again.

What type of leg pain do you have?
    Is it in both legs or just one?
    Is it long lasting like all day or just when you do certain activity?
    Sharp, dull etc??

Let us know how you make out hun. I feel your pain.
    GOOD LUCK WITH SCHOOL!!!

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I too would suggest a 2nd opinion. One of the things that you also have to worry about with surgery, especially more than one, is scar tissue. There is nothing they can do for that! As "Painintheback" said, once the surgery is done there is no going back. Every time they open you back up again it causes another injury to the tissues and that is why the scar tissue develops. That is one of my biggest problems! You ARE young, find the best surgeon that you possibly can and don't allow anyone less to touch you. I would hate to see you go through a lifetime of pain because of a mistake. I'm wishing you the very best of luck. Keep us updated on your decision.

BTW, anyone who tries to force something on you, telling him this =;
  • HIYA ALYSSA WE HAVENT SPOKEN IN AGES, IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT U ARE IN SUCH PAIN, I HAVE SEVERE THECAL SAC COMPRESSION AND I DONT WANT TO LET THEM NEAR ME AGAIN, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO TELL U TO DO, I KNOW ONE THING I WISH I HADNT HAVE HAD THE SURGERY CAUSE IT GAVE ME STENOISIS[THE BMP STUFF THE SURGEON USED HAS OVERGROWN BUT IM AFRAID TO LET THEM IN AGAIN..............PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE U TRY AND SEARCH OUT OTHER ALTERNATIVES OTHER THAN SURGERY ALYSSA, ALTHOUGH I KNOW U ARE IN ALOT OF PAIN AND WOULD DO ANYTHING,...I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR U,HOPE UR FEELING BETTER
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.