Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEED ADVICE PLEASE

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
so i have nerve compression, myelopathy, stenosis, and 2 herniations c6-7. i've been to 4 surgeons. only one said don't do the surgery yet. let's watch it.
i have pain in my arm, weakness in leg, t-spine arthritis type pain but the only pain that is almost everyday is my forearm-but i think it's from typing.if i lie down too much which i've been doing since i don't have a job, it's alot worse.
i lost my job in march 2008 and need a job badly. i was hoping to postpone the surgery, get a job, and take a few weeks off maybe a year later to do the surgery.
the point is-should i even do the surgery? it's more of a comfort of living emotional pain not so much physical pain, but both can be tiring as i am sleeping 12 hours a day. i have no more sex drive and this is causing issues with my husband. i feel so guilty, but who the hell wants to have sex when you're not feeling great? i can't workout anymore except swimming. that's been helpful, and now i have this pain under my rib cage for 3 months and noone knows what it is. i've had a HIDA scan, and ultrasound and rib series-all negative. my doc thinks it may be from a herniated disk in my T-spine. if i get cerviacal surgery and it doesn't work, i will be SO PISSED. so far my EMG of my legs and arms are normal, and i go for an EEMG this week. but so far no problem. only that one doc who told me not to do it thinks the leg weakness is coming from my lumbar L-5 herniation not the cervical, but all the other doc's think it's from the cervical. so you can see why i'm not getting the exact answers i need to think this surgery is really going to fix all my issues.
what do you guys think?
advertisement

Comments

• my myelopathy symptoms started over two years ago and have progressively gotten worse, these symptoms are coming from my cervical area, im getting close to being completely paralized in legs they are so weak now its hard to walk at all and my upper body is getting weaker seems to be getting worse everyday so my arms have a hard time keeping my legs up even with a cane, i too have seen many surgeons and other doc,s
    i need this surgery as soon as possible, surgeon say no other option left for me but heres the problem i have a diagnosis of possible M.S. and i cant find a surgeon that is willing to do surgery with this even though its only a possible diagnosis,(i feel, know, wont except, this poss. diagnosis)SO im really stuck at the moment, waiting now to try getting into mayo clinic, the only thing in my experience is if your legs or arms start getting to weak and it is caused from myeolpathy and you need surgery the longer you put it off the less you might get back with the weakness and nobody wants that, but only your doctors know whats best for you well not always sometimes we are the only one that knows what is best for us. i wish i could go back 2 years when this all started and was what i would say minor weakness and balance issues and had it fixed then,BLESS YOU
  • Hi dhoward,

I hope things get better for you. I normally try to keep my opinion to myself but for some oddball reason I had to voice it here. Surgery is a major decision and should only be done as a last resort (which you are probably at). Some go well and some do not. My ACDF and recovery went fine. I do have issues now 10+ years later but regarding your question, if you have tried all other avenues then go ahead with the surgery. Which one? I would say cervical because it will be easier to recover from then lower back. I would think they would be able to tell whether the myelopathy is caused from the cervical or the lumbar. After re-reading your comments it is probably a combination of both but I hate messing with the lower back unless necessary. Take care and I hope you feel better.....soon.
  • i too have had one out of 4 surgeons say that my leg weakness is coming from lower spine issues(lower spine has just minor problems, as far as i understand, who knows for sure)
  • that's the thing, patsy, if the leg weakness isn't coming from the cervical spine, and the doctors aren't sure, is it worth the risk to go under the knife?

you can ask for a SSEP test, it's tests the nerves coming from the spinal cord. my legs were abnormal which supposedly means that it's coming from the compression in my neck. but another doctor said no. so what the hell man....
  • i did have one doc say some of my issues with weakness in the legs could be from lower spine. but mri did not confirm any weakness that would be coming from lower back. my mri of the neck shows exactly almost to a t of what my symptoms are. and to stop these symptoms from getting worse i need the surgery done, but i have a diagnosis of possible M.S. with this diagnosis its seems very hard to find a surgeon to do my needed surgery, because it could cause the poss m.s. to get progressively worse, the surgeons dont want to take that chance, well i do and here is why, i find myself getting weaker as time goes on if it is m.s its gonna prolly cause paralysis as time goes on no body knows how long it could be one day -20 years, if it is not m.s. (WHICH IM ALMOST POSITIVE ITS NOT) i have this surgery and stop this weakness from getting worse, ... if i have surgery and find out i do have m.s well then at least i feel i have done whats in my heart to do.
advertisement