Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7 3 level fusion set for Sept 9

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my surgeon last Thursday. After he had reviewed my films he put me in a soft collar and scheduled immediate surgery for the 9th. He said that my spinal cord was impinged at all 3 levels but that at 1 level it was compressed so badly that it was nearly flat. He said that surgery had to be done right away and put me in the collar to protect my neck from sudden movements.

They will go in through the front, clean out the bone spurs and calcium build up and widen my congenitally narrow spinal canal. Then remove the discs and do a caged fusion. He said it would likely mean 3 days in the hospital followed by 1 to 2 weeks at the Sheppard Spinal Clinic because of my previous spinal history, for physical therapy. He said I'd spend those 2 weeks in a "semi-hard" collar followed by another 4 weeks in a soft collar.

I dread the whole thing but it has to be done.
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck with your surgury...
  • Good Luck on your surgery. My prayers will be with you. Just remember it is for the best. God Bless!!
  • Hey there 42,

Welcome to Spine Health! I am glad you have become a part of SH! There are so many kind and coring people on this board and I am surely hoping you will find the information and the support here as an added benefit to your support group.

I have also started a thread entitled "End of Aug, and Sept. Surgeries" It is an ongoing list of those who are going in for surgery. The reason I started the list was for others to see who was going in for surgery and so that we all could do it together rather than Alone. It is nice to know that your not the only one going through this. So I invite you to post there and we will all send out the Good Vibes for you and your surgery!!

I am always willing to support anyone through PM or posting so please if you feel the need for added extra support send out a PM to me. I will be having surgery tomorrow but as soon as I am home I will be posting again!

Best wishes to you! And Hang in there!
    Chrissy
  • lots of good thoughts will be sent your way, could you tell us what some of your symptoms are to do with your cervical issues? the last surgeon i seen also told me to wear a soft collar when im up walking or riding in a car also. I find it helps to wear it at night so that i don't wake up so often due to the tingling and numbness. BYE BYE 45 old
  • Patsy,

I'd really had more lower back pain problems. Lots of pain in my lower to mid back and down my legs. My legs had also gotten really week and I had tremors in them where my legs would just shake. I started having numbness in my arms and legs as well.

I was sent to the Sheppard Spinal Clinic down here in Atlanta. The Doctor told me he couldn't help me with my lower back problems but did notice some unusual things in my reflexes. He sent me to a neurologist at the Emory Spine Center, they guy did some testing and came back with the results that led to my surgery. So it was really a fluke that I even found out about it. Of course it turned out that the problems in my neck were responsible for the problems in my arms, the numbness above my knee in my left leg, the trembling and weakness in my legs and numbness in my feet.

Thanks for the thoughts and I'll check out the thread you mentioned. Good luck with your surgery and God Bless.

Doug
  • Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Just like Motel 6, "we'll keep the light on for ya".

"C"
  • Good luck next week! :P
advertisement