Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to the forum

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself, I am redhott and before back surgery that really meant something! LOL Where do I start, I have had numerous ESI's, rhizotomy, partial blocks, facet injections, L4 fusion, Heck, I forget half of what had been done. Regardless, I had my fusion April, 2007 and was told by my doc that I would be up and around in three weeks and back to work. Well, I am still not back to work and I am looking at another surgery this month. They think I have adjacent segment disorder. I had tried the implanted stimulator and that didn't work, I have used a walker and an LSO brace and that's how I live at 38 years of age diagnosed with DDD, Osteoporosis of the hips and Osteopenia of the spine, Osteoarthritis. I am looking at either getting my instrumentation removed and or, a fusion of L3, L5 and S1, doc needs to make up his mind and he tells me on the 15th. WHo Hoo, another sugery-NOT!! I am tired of being in pain!! As I am sure u all can relate.
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. I totally understand the reluctance of another surgery as there are no guarantees that it will be successful either. Do you go to any type of PM to help manage your pain? Not what most of us want but sometimes the only solution.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what question we can. i am sorry you are having such chronic pain. ~X( surgery did not work out for you did it? sorry to hear you are facing the possibility of another one. please take advantage of the new friends you can find here. :H we all have pain in common! good luck and please keep us posted as you progress. Jenny :)
  • No, my surgery actually made me worse! The frustrating part was my doc kept saying how everything (fusion) looked so good. I felt like I was the crazy one! SO after a year and a half, I now have a new doc after seeing three.
  • I did have a PM doc, but she wanted to drug me out of my mind and although in pain, as a nurse I have seen the effects being on narcotics can do on someone and quit seeing her and went to family doc. Ya, that didn't last long, he sent me back to the NS and right now he "says" he is managing my pain until my next surgery- this month. I laugh cause he acts like Norco 10/325mgs. is alot and I was on Opana 20mg. from the PM. Norco isn't touching my pain hardly at all. And I hate taking pain meds but like everyone else have to with back pain.!!
  • hiya,
    welcome to spine health, i am also new here. we can all relate to how you are feeling. pain management was the best i ever had regarding the pain. they dont just help with pain they help emotionally to.

angie
  • I am really needing to talk with my doc about what little PM he is doing right now with me. Seems like since I have switched to him from the PM dr., he is just trying to see diagnostically what is wrong with me and then he will change my meds. And meanwhile, I live in pain taking two 10/325's of Norco, and two 10mg of Valium every 6 hours isn't helping. I was on Percocet and Valium at one time when that wasn't helping they put me on Opana 20 mg and the Valium. That seemed to work. I am looking at another surgery and won't know until the 15th what exactly he is going to do. I am so glad I found this forum to talk to those that know what I am going through. Because my husband and kids don't seem to understand! My husband is a good man and thank god i have him but god love him, he doesn't get what I am going through. Good Luck and I hope your pain eases, I know how hard it is.
  • Hi redhott, welcome to Spine Health. Wow that really stinks about the surgery making your situation worse and double whammy of the NS not treating your pain adequately. Well I hope that reaching out to us will help you manage the time until the 15th with a pain distraction.

It is wild how many of the best NS's will undertreat pain just to "see" what the exact symptoms are. It is an intelligent diagnostic way of thinking (from a troubleshooting standpoint)however the patient suffers for it. I think since the NS isn't the one suffering, they don't quite understand what their "testing" is doing to their patient.

A good PM doc will know how important it is to quiet down those pain receptors. Two totally different worlds!

Well welcome aboard.

"C"
  • redhott- welcome to the site. I hope the surgeon's appt goes well and he is able to help you get back on the road to recovery. I have osteoporosis of the spine and I don't know if this is relevant or not.

But I remember an OS telling me that because of the osteoporosis, I would have a hard time ever fusing. He was going to do a harvest of my bone and then do an anterior and posterior incision. Then he would use a bone stimulator to help. Or he recommended a artificial disc with a cage or something like that. PM me if this sounds like your case.

I never had the fusion as I decided to go to a NS and he did different procedures...take care.. :H jade
advertisement