Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I be better by now; 12 week window approaching

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, missed you all

I've been gone awhile (again). Last time I posted I flared up horribly and had a CT/Myelo last month. Everything looks okay for now. I haven't been told to start therapy. I was about to, but then I started crashing.

I was on Torodal for a week, because the Neurontin wasn't working and the pain was unbearable. I eased up on the antiimmflammatory, but went back to square one once I stopped. It's against the law to be on it longer than a week.
I suffer with arthritis everywhere, and I spent the last 3 weeks in utter hell smelling like a medicine cabinet. My muscles where so tender in the shoulders, neck, and forearm , and could barely walk because of the the knees.
Right now I'm on steroids again and naproxen. I was switched to a 2 day schedule of Fentanyl 50.

I guess my question is, when do you know if you're recovering like you should be? I went thru this same thing last year with the microdiscectomy. I was told I'd feel so much better; the surgery was technically succesful. I just want to know that I'm not setting up for the last scenario again. I am hopeful and realistic. I was offered another stim trial if my pain from this TLIF 11 weeks ago doesn't take the pain away like it should. I was also told that my facet joints were a mess, and my hemangioma was left alone in fear of making things worse.
I know the back pain will always hang around. They are wondering why the nerve is still so irritated. Is there such a thing as chronic sciatica?
The only thing I can do is be patient and hope for better days. Take care, all of you, my friends
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Meydey.
    I am 20 weeks 2 level PLIF S1-L5 and I'm still in pretty bad shape too. No fusion yet for me and the back and leg pain is pretty bad. Sorry I can't be encouraging but I'm sure some one will come along who has a good outcome. The good thing is that you are back and able to let us know how you are doing. You take care and keep in touch.
  • Hi hun,
    So sorry your still not feeling good.
    But remember your recovering from a MAJOR surgery.
    It is going to be awhile before you feel good again.
    Your going to have 1 day u start to feel ok then the next feel really horrible.

Just go slow take one day at a time. Go by your Dr. orders to what your supposed and not supposed to do.

I know ppl have probably said this to ya before. But some of us it takes a little bit longer then others.

Think POSITIVE thoughts. We are here for you any time you need us!!!

And please call your Dr. a.s.a.p w/ any new pain that arises for you.

Your in my thoughts
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I am sorry to hear your still hurting Mey. I feel horrible right now myself.

I hope you get some relief soon. Like Terri just said I have one good day and that is followed by 4 bad days :''(

Hang in there >:D<

Julie
  • :H

I always feel encourage knowing that all of us here are going thru these trials and tribulations.

Carr, hang in there. Don't quit and take things easy. Can you imagine the days pre internet? We'd have to travel to support group when possible in our painful conditions.

Thank you both for your caring and compassion, and I look towards better days. We're all in this together- no more isolation. Take care Terri :)
  • I'm so glad you're feeling great. It's always wonderful to hear a success story =D> I hope you stay pain free as long as possible and keep on taking care of your back like it's gold.
  • I am about 25 weeks 3 level ATIL fusion (L-3-S-1). I found that around 20 weeks I started to experience some nerve pain - but through acupuncture and a change of meds it has gotten significantly better. My surgeon said it is not that unusual and that is typically when adhesions start to show up. It seems as if you have your good weeks and bad weeks. I just ask myself if I am better than I was a month ago. I had one level that really wasn't fusing. I cut out all soda, took calcium/mag/Vitamin D supplements twice a day, and I walked a couple times a day instead of just once a day. I have no idea if it made a difference or not but things seems much better. My surgeon also put me on a 30 minutes of stim therapy daily. :)))
  • One of the reasons I'm so frustrated is my OS says there is no reason I should be feeling pain. Can you believe that?! No reason my you know what! Thank the Lord for this site or else I would be having a nervous breakdown because I really wouldn't be able to drive to that support group with meydey. That being said I'm trying to be patient. I meant to be some help to you meydey but you wound up helping me and making me feel better. Thank you so much!

Carrie
  • Like you I was pretty bad at 12 weeks but am now 17 weeks and apart from a few bad days (usually after bad nights) I am definitely doing better.
    Give yourself time to heal, I know it seems like a long long road but that is because it is. :))( It must seem worse for you as you have so many other health issues.

Hope things inprove soon.
    Sara
  • Thanks again for the responses.

Delaware Girl, keep on doing what you do. You are very motivating and brave. I don't know if I could go thru accupuncture, but I'm glad it works for you. Calcium is very important. I tend to neglect drinking milk and leave it for the kids; it's so expensive. I was charged $15 on generic Valium 10 mg, and I was so livid. I got to go back and get the rest of my refills when I get more money in a couple of days. My RX plan sucks.
    How does everyone else handle the mounting costs of meds, and medical expenses? I would sure like to spend all that dough on other stuff, or at least put money away for a rainy day. But we somehow manage and get by.

Carr, just because the doctor can't explain your pain, it does not mean you don't have it. Sometimes it takes a while for something to show up, or for a definite diagnosis to be reached. I went thru something similar years ago and it took 4 years to get diagnosed (undifferentiated connectice tissue disease). You hardly hear about it, but there are a lot of people sitting at rheumatology offices with this thing. Not quite lupus, but your blood shows certain markers, but not enough for a complete diagnosis. Its like being in a state of limbo. I don't go anymore; when I flare I just get on steroids, naproxen, and pain medicine for chest pain when needed.

Hey Sarah, thanks for the encouragement from down under. Can you believe that this weekend I watched Mad Max in it's entirety? I got to watch it again to understand it a little better. :H Hang in there, and stay as well as you can.
advertisement