Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newly diagnosed with spondylolisthesis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Exercise and Rehab
My son was receiving his physical to sign up for the US Navy and they stated that he had Spondylolisthesis. I have been researching this online to see what this is exactly. His back has never bothered him. I was wondering if anyone knows of excercises that he may be able to do to help him maybe strengthen his back to maybe help prevent future problems. Any suggestions for us to what type of doctor that we should see or anything useful for us. He is really wanting to join the Navy and this may keep him out.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! i see this is your first post and i want to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. your son is so fortunate to have you by his side. at the top of the forum you will see "Conditions" which can give you an explanation on your son's problem. check under "Treatments" for an idea on some solutions. an Orthopedic surgeon or Neurosurgeon can help diagnosis this. you might require an mri although i find it hard to believe they gave him one for his physical. that would get very costly!! anyway, good luck and keep moving forward till you recieve some concrete answers! your support means the world to your son! Jenny
  • Hi there,

If you read around you will see that papers say about 5% of population have this defect and many are asymptomatic. I do hope that is true of your son.

Is he hypermobile? www.hypermobility.org

If he is he "may" be at risk of being symptomatic, simply becos his ligaments are weaker than should be. Are there any other medical problems or family history that may put him at risk?

Another really useful learning website is www.chirogeek.com for a good basic understanding on the condition and the site does highlight key findings, which is useful.

Perhaps find him a good NS or Ortho to review him. Pilates is highly recommended for inner core muscle strength to support the spine, nothing more strenous. I suspect as a keen naval cadet, he will be pushing weights etc - be careful. The large muscles are not key to the support of the spine.

Take care and I hope it works out well for him
  • He has never had any back pain. The only way that we found out about this was when the Navy required an xray due to his scoliosis, which we know about, but is mild and does not give him any trouble. This has come completely as a surprise to us. I guess that I should have any evaluated anyway by a neruosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon just to be on the safe side.