Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ended up in ER per Dr :(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
So, I was having so many side affects from the MScontin, that I spoke with my Dr, and she said go to ER. :| So, I head up there with a heavy head, and told the admitting nurse why I was there. She showed me to a room, where I proceeded to wait an hour and a half! I understand that sometimes in the ER you have to wait, however, there were no other patients. What if I had been allergic to peanuts and I was having a reaction? :? So, she makes her way in (the ER Dr) and then asks what my pain is. I said 8/10. Since I had taken the MsContin at 5:30 am, she said she couldnt give me anything for pain Im having now, even though my Dr told her too. So, she writes a rx for 4 20mg Oxycodones, after lecturing me that was an extremely high dose for "someone my age" and I need to stop taking these types of medications now! #o So, I left the ER not only in pain and throwing up, but discouraged about myself for taking meds. She made me feel so low :''( I have to go to my Dr at 8am monday monring, turn in the $35 bottle of msContin and get a new rx for oxycodone, but I think she is uping my dose to 3x a day instead of 2, since she said that seems to be what works for me at the moment. Thanks you guys for letting me vent. :H
advertisement

Comments

• So sorry you had that kinda response from a so called medical professional. I have just got back from 2 days in hopsital as was coughing up blood, doc had prescribed ibruprofen and diclofenac together, and they should be - can cause ulcers - so had to have OCG camera down the throat - never again.

I hope you get your pain sorted out real soon. It drives you up the wall if you can't get comfy.

Take care and hope things improve for you

Love Danni xoxo
  • It really upsets me when medical professionals respond to patients in pain like this. I could only try my best to ignore her, but at the same time, felt so guilty. She seriously talked so down to me, she made me feel like I needed to go on that show, "Intervention" =; I guess I should just consider myself lucky as I have a Dr right now that listens to me and is willing to give me pain medicine for appropiate use. I know it took me 3 years to get to where I am now. Im just hoping that my referral appt doesnt change things. The referral appt is for a pain mgmt dr for possible injections, but I wonder if he will choose to either stop or change my meds and have to go through him. Word on the street here is that he has no bedside manner whatsoever and can be pretty harsh to patients. :SS
  • I had posted under your other post about possibly having the reaction to the medication.

That is so odd.
    Did they give you anything at all like anti-nausea med etc through a IV and fluids???????

I would of been off the wall if I got treated like you said you did.
    My next step would be writing the admin at the hospital you went to.
    There was no reason for the unacceptable behavior you were shown. Very unprofessional on their part.

Vomiting and pain meds do not mix as you know. That is why your Dr told you to go to the ER.

I surely hope your feeling a little bit better now that it is out of your system some.

Keep us up to date hun. So sorry you had to go through that ordeal.
    Hugs
    Terri >:D<
  • Mominpain...
    I feel bad for you that you had such a bad experience in the ER. That ER doc shouldn't have said the things she did to you. I think the problem there is that ER docs really don't know how to treat chronic pain patients. You should have been given something for your nausea. Good grief! When you're feeling so sick at your stomach, it makes you hurt even more. Good luck with the new PM doctor. Go in with an open mind. Don't go in there thinking he is going to have a bed side manner. He might surprise you!
  • Im starting to get really angry at how all of us are being treated by some Dr regarding our pain meds. I had a problem with my previous pharmacy treating me like an addict so I switched. Other than that I have been very lucky and have been treated with respect and dignity. I wish these rude Dr could walk one day in our pain filled shoes and see what it is like. Im sorry you are having a difficult time.
  • If you took the ms contin that early in the morning they certainly could have given you something like a BT med. Its so weird how quickly they disregarded you. Was it the same ER you had just went to a few days ago?
    The ER here is kind of the same way. I refuse to go. One time I told them that I do not want any meds if thats what they are implying - but I do want proper tests rum to make sure I hadnt blown another disc etc..
    Also - the comment about "you're too young" that is such BS! It absolutely makes my blood boil when that is said to me - and its been said way too many times. What right do they have to diagnose me by age?
    Hope your pain is better today.
  • mominpain- Hope you are feeling better as I could not believe the ER visit you had. I wonder why they just ignored the nausea and vomiting as there are meds to help that and they could address that issue separately from severe pain. It does not help that the ER dr did not really understand or treat the pain levels. I am not sure about switching pain meds and how that could affect you but I would ask the dr as you are having alot of problems....take care.. :S ..jade
advertisement