Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NECK AND SHOULDER PAIN CAN SOMEONE HELP ME

Precious BamaPPrecious Bama Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I normally post here about my ddd and lower back pain. Three days ago, my neck and shoulder started hurting and today Saturday, it is hurting so bad and pain medication is not touching it. I had neck surgery in 2004 due to herniation. It hurts when I try to turn my head and just hurts all around neck and shoulder. I am scheduled for epidural monday for back but I am thinking I will cancel and try to find out what is wrong with neck. Does anyone here have an idea about what is wrong with neck maybe it has to do with ddd.
Brenda
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Brenda,

Your symptoms are the same ones I had when I first had issues with my neck. The cause for such pain, in my case, was a herniated disc pinching a nerve. The pinching of the nerve in turn caused muscle spasms, inflamation and tightness. Usually when this happened to me I was laid up flat on my back for days because I could not lift my head off a pillow. I had to roll out of bad and it was so painful I was in tears. I would put money on it that in a few days you will be fine. These symptoms may never show their face again but they could be back in a week. I would not cancel your appointment and I would not be concern unless it continues. Now with that said, remember I am a male and we wait until it is usually very bad before going to see someone. I hope things get better soon for you.

Rob
  • Like pain mid back rib area? Does the pain in your shoulder feel like its under the bone? Almost like a knot you can't get to? Bloating or discomfort under the breast bone? Try putting pressure along the inside of your right rib cage near your belly, any pain there?

I only ask because I had unexplained shoulder and neck pain. I went to PT for months, and was not able to control the pain. Then one day I woke up, and it felt like I had a belt wrapped around my ribs being pulled tighter and tighter. I put a heating pad on my back, and started feeling really bloated at the very top of my stomach, just below my breasts. The pain in my back became so severe I felt like I couldn't breathe. I thought I was having a heart attack, and went to the ER. Turned out it was gallstones. The first signs of gallstones are actually pain radiated into the shoulder... who'da thunk it? All those months of PT for my gallbladder lol!! I didn't even have pain in the gallbladder area (just under your right ribs in front) until the doctor put pressure there. WOW did that hurt.

Just a thought

Hope all is well
    Amanda
  • I wouldn't let that intense pain go. I would go see someone right away. I tried to be brave when I fractured a vertebrae and I passed out from the pain. Get thee to a dr!
  • if you should cancel. Give them a call first thing in the morning and see what they advise you to do. I know exactly how you feel. My neck and upper back is so tense and my shoulder is in the middle of a painful flare up as we speak. Keep your eye on it and if it doesn't go away or keeps returning definitely say something to your doctor.
  • Hi Angela,
    Thank you for your message. I did cancel - I left message and I will call in the morning. I am glad you understand the neck and shoulder pain. What is wrong with your neck? I dread going to bed tonight b/c it hurts every move. especially getting out of bed. This morning I couldn't lift my head off pillow.
    Brenda
  • I have three mild herniations in my neck. At first it was thought to be a shoulder problem and was treated as such, though the MRI showed no smoking gun. I went through 14 rounds of physical therapy only to end up in far worse pain than ever before. My orthopedic doc wouldn't listen when he was told that the problems seemed to be coming from my neck. So I ditched him, quit physical therapy and started from scratch. My new ortho doc ordered up an MRI on my very first and visit and what do you know? Five problem areas, 3 of which are the herniations. I'm starting physical therapy again today this time to work on my neck and not so much my shoulder.
    I do hope you find relief soon as it seems like you're in bad shape and this is day 3 now? Don't suffer too long before seeking somekind of help.
    BTW-whereabouts in Bama are you from? I'm a Huntsville native. :)))
  • Hi Angela, I have appt Friday to see about neck. I am hoping that it will be better by then. If it is not, then i will know something is not right. My I can't believe you have 3 herniations in your neck. You must be in lot of pain. What do you take for pain? I am in Birmingham. I have lived here 30 years. I was transferred on job from Memphis, Tn in '78 but I am a native of Iuka, Ms. Being from Huntsville, you must know where that is. It is 30 miles from Florence on hwy 72 - do you remember all that. Everytime I go to Ms on I-65, I see Huntsville sign but i have never been there but I hear it is really a nice town.
    I hope you are getting relief from therapy. Have you thought of surgery? I had 1 herniated disc in neck in 04 and it was easy but I am scared to have my back fusion. Actually that is or was my first posting here. I have deteriorated disc and collapsed disc in lower back. Falling apart.
    Where do you live now?
    Brenda
  • you feeling today? any better? I PM'd ya'. ;))
  • Hi Angela,
    I am just the same but the medication numbs me. I do not have family here but my sister lives in Ms. She calls everyday and i know she is concerned. She said to me today that a new medication called Evista for bones might be causing the shoulder pain. I never thought of that. I love Birmingham. It has a lot of hills and nice scenery. I live within a mile of everything. My medication wears off about 8 pm and I can really tell it. I am going to research Evista.
    brenda
  • I got xray on neck today and c4-5 was deteriorated and making neck hurt. In fact, he said I was deteriorating all over. OMG this reminds me of the t-shirt I wore on my birthday in August to lunch and it said How the hell did I get to be 60 and today I feel how did all this happen because I have big issues in the lower back. I can't sleep on a hard curvy pillow - I will check some of your suggestions out.
    Thanks.
    Brenda
  • to hear that. :( What are they going to do for you?
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Brenda,
    I can relate to your discomfort. My spine is deteriorating due to OA. I have had a laminectomy to L3 thru L6 back in Aug of 06. I had a corpectomy, discectomy, multi-level fusion with hardware of C3 thru C6 in Aug of 07.
    I still have the tingling, numbness, and pain throughout my shoulders, arms,
    and hands, more so my left side. And oh yeah, my lower back pain is coming back to haunt me. Putting my socks on in the morning is an adventure!
    I sleep the best with no pillow flat on my back.
    Do you have any tingling or numbness? Have you had an MRI lately?
    Take care and keep us posted here.
    Ranger
  • I MR. K. Kishore Aged.33 years I have been suffering from Neck & Shoulder Pain for last three years. So I request you please suggest me what can i do which type of medicines shall take

thank you sir
    kishore
  • Hello Brenda,

I also had bad neck pain, I had C4-7 fusion done 12-8-08 and everything went great then in March I started to have new neck pain and after six months of doctors, pt, pills, mri, x-rays and the pain had gotten so bad I am on state disability while my surgeon is reviewing all the tests trying to find what is wrong. I understand being in pain and wanting an answer and a solution to fix it. I hope you will find something that will get you on the road to a pain free life.

Rick
  • HI Kishore

Welcome to Spine Health. Everyone here is a neck/back/spine sufferer. We are not doctors or any type of professional.

If you tell us a little about your problems someone might be able to suggest which type of doctor you should see and/or what medications and treatments are appropriate.

Good Luck
  • Hi Brenda, I can also relate, it is so frustrating to hear that our spines are deteriorating. I just had a cervical fusion C5-6 almost 6 weeks ago, but have had pain from that and the discs above and below since 2000. In 2001 I had a lumbar decompression but have been told my spine is "colapsing" and that after I recover from this surgery I should consider having a fusion of L2-S1....I am turning 55 in November...and share your frustration.

ilene
    Ilene
advertisement