Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op medication mishap!!?? What to do??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone,

I just had a 2 level ACDF C 4-6 on Sept 3rd.

Before surgery I was on Morphine Sulfat 30 mg's three times a day
Percocet 10/325 no more than 6 a day
Valium 5 mg's a day and
Robaxin 750 mg 3 a day.

All these meds came from my PM. When scheduling the surgery the medications now will come from the surgeon. I stressed about 3 times before surgery that I did not want to be ent home with less meds then what I was on prior to surgery. Well the PA at the surgeons office told me point blank the surgeon wold not write a script for the morphine sulfate.

SO upon discharge I spoke to the surgeon about it. I told him what I was on before surgery. I explained I had about 1 weeks worth of the morphine sufate at home and he said it would be fine to take that with his added prescription of percocet. Well now my post-op appt is not until the 16th of september and I will be out of both percocet and Morphine sulfate before that date.

The surgeon also prescribed valium 5 mgs eery 4 hours as needed , but I dont take those evey four hours or I would sleep all day.

Anyway it has been hard to manage my pain and I am afraid I will run out of meds before the appointment. I plan to call them this morning to see what they want me to do.

I am not only having high painlevels, but they need to consider that before surgery I was not able to walk very far and now I am required to walk as part of my therapy. I am fine with this and I like the walking, but it whipes me out and causees sorness and more added pain so I sometimes feel under medicated. If this makes any sense at all!!
I dont know what to do other than to call the surgeons office and see what they would like to do.

Do you all have any suggestions??

Please help?
Chrissy
advertisement

Comments

• chrissy chrissy,
    you poor darlin.
    number 1 can you get more of the morphine by any chance from the PM dr?? reason being doesn't your surgeon understand you can have wicked withdrawals?? he should know better. i can understand not giving you more, but mabye wheening you off would of been the proper thing.

now as for the percocet how are you going to run out?
    did they not give you enough when you left the hospy to cover you till the 16th?? guess i am a bit confused on that one.

ok edit button. sorry major headache since yesterday :(
    the script should of been like for 60 pills. that would equal out to 6 maxium for 10 days to last you till the 16th. are you having to take 2 instead of 1??? what does the script say????? mabye its just my brain on drugs right now..
    my last script its been awhile since i have had 10mg percs. said 1-2 pills every 6 hrs. no more then 6 a day max.
    sorry for all the guessing questions...

i know when i left with the spinal fusion last year of course they only gave me 5mg hydro's OK JOKE right there. had to take sometimes 3 to calm the pain.
    so then i called the office and they called in a 5 day supply of percocet. then sent me a script in the mail for 125 pills. lasted me forever.. then i wheened down to 5mg hydrodone again..

let me know hunny. i feel your frustration totally!!!!!
    love you lots!!!! :X >:D< >:D<
  • Ok guys/gals

I called the surgeons office, but i am pretty sure that he will not refill the Morphine sulfate.

I want them to refer me back to PM ~~~ ASAP before I run out of meds. The thing is that my PM has 2 offices and then does procedures on wed and Fri.
    One office is a 30 min ride in the car on a mountain road one way!! Yikes..the other office is a 1 hour 15..min ride to his office one way...YIKES x 2 don't know if I could do that.

I am going to call the PM's office right now and see if they can call my surgeon and get the referral for me.

Terri the bottle of percs the surgeon sent me home with was for a total of 40 pills.
    take 1 or 2 tabs every 4 to 6 hours.

I am soooo lucky I had the Morphine sulfates left! ~~~ and that the surgeon said I could take them! Or I would have went into a severe WD.

Before surgery I was on ms 30 mgs 3 times a day and no more than 6 percocet 10/325...so to send me home with less meds than that was wrong in my eyes. I can not tell you how many times I stressed this with the surgeon and the PA. Apparently they needed to hold one hand over one ear so the words did not go out the other side!!!

OK Calling the PM right now!!

Check back later.
    PS my wedge pillow just got here while typing in my other post about sleeping after ACDF,,,

Chrissy

OK I just called the PM's Office and they really will not take over my care untill the surgeon discharges me to their care. So the PM's office gal (she is awesome) has decided to fax over a note to the surgeons office with the PM's last notes and a note stating how they work in their office. She will also include the list of meds I was taking before the surgery. I hope it all works out good.

Terri I will need to get a refill on the percocets today from the surgeon and I do believe he will do that and my Mom can just drie their and pick it up. The PM office said the surgeon should NEVER discharge w/out giving me the same meds prior to surgery or something a bit more post op. She even sounded a bit irritated. So cross your fingers it all works out.
    C
  • Hey everyone,

Thnaks for all the urging to call the PM. I actually called both the PM and the Ortho SPine Surgeon and they ended up chatting together about my case. So as it is now...yesterday my Mo went to Orthos office here in my town and picked up the scripts for the persocet so I will not run out before I see the surgeon again! Also the surgeon has written a script of the Morphine Sulfate fro 1 months worth which is how my PM ususally would write it. I feel that really shows how much my PM trusts me and how compliant I have been throughout my PM journey!

So the only thing I will nedd a possibel refil on is the valium and all I need to do is call when ready for that and the ortho will write it and either give it to me at my appt or let me pick it up when needed.

All is good.

Thanks again for giving me some extra little pushin..lol
    Chrissy
  • Yeah baby thank goodness its all straightned out.

Still not understanding them sending you home with 40 pills that is insane. Not even enough to last you till your post op checkup.

Something like hydrocodone yes they can have re-fills.
    GHEESHH LOUISE!! #:S

So glad you pillow came to. I hope it helps you =D> =D> . I cannot stand the things image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> :P

Love u
    BIG HUGS!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • It makes me crazy when I see stories about pain medicine and Dr's not prescribing it. I understand the reservation of addiction, but for goodness sake.
    I finally had to go to my primary care Dr with my husband in tow and practically shake him by the shoulders and hold his face to read my MRI and EMG reports before he took me seriously about my pain.
  • I was sent to the surgeon by pain mgt, and they both worked together. I never had any problems. I kept pain mgt posted as far as everything that was happening. when the surgeon alternated my meds or adjusted them, I called PM and let them know. They said I did good and continued to refill what they prescribed. When I run out of refills from the surgeon's office, it would be refilled at PM. Those first few weeks were tough and very painful, and I'm glad things went smoothly between the offices.
advertisement