Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Scales - There are many

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Here are just a few of the Pain Scales that the Medical field uses. Look at the different ones. One thing they all have in common is when the pain level starts to get high. That is the time (8,9,10) that you should be looking to get medical assistance. If your pain level hits 9 or above, you should seek immediate medical assistance. It is not healthy for any individual to try to manage pain levels that exceed 9.
The one problem with any scale is how it related to YOU
My pain level of 5 could be someone else's pain level of 9 or another as pain level 3!. It is so difficult to really measure.

Now that you have seen the formal pain scales, this is what I like to use:

I am doing ok
Its hurting but with help, I can manage
This is too much, I need lots of help
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• You the man Ron!!
    This charts are so useful in the medical field. It is the best thing they ever came up with!!!

Not just for us adults, but VERY useful in treating minors.

• here is another one from an ER doc,

Pain Assessment Scale

0 - No pain. Patient is asleep, respirations unlabored.

1 - No pain. Patient is awake and appears comfortable.

2 - Patient appears comfortable but says it "hurts a little."

3 - Patient appears comfortable, but says it "hurts."
    4 - Patient appears comfortable, but says it "hurts a lot."

5 - Patient appears to be in pain and is wincing or limping.
    6 - Patient appears to be in pain and is making painful noises (groaning).

7 - Patient appears to be in pain and has abnormal vital signs.
    8 - Patient appears to be in distress and is writhing in agony, trembling, or crying.

9 - Patient appears to be in distress and is writhing/trembling/crying and vomiting
    10 - Patient is in severe distress: writhing, trembling/crying/vomiting, and screaming.

• I have a whole new view on the pain scale than I used to. Prior to my reconstructive surgery about 6 years ago I used to think that my pain was higher. After I spent 4 days in ICU at a level 100 over the pain scale, I developed a new outlook. I never even knew that someone could hurt as badly as I did at the time and live through it. Actually, I was in critical condition and barely lived through it. I was delusional, out of my mind, and begging my husband to make the surgeons take the surgery back. Yeah, as if they could! Well, now what I would have considered an 8 or 9 is different in my own mind, like a 5. I'm in an 8 to 9 now, but I know now that I wasn't always at this point. To those of you who are at an 8 to 9, my heart goes out to you. Dialuro, putting this up was a very good idea! For those who have never seen it, it should be a great tool for them to work with!
    Jewels
  • Rachel,
    Thank you, this is another great tool to work along with Dilauro's. I fit the 8 to 9 perfectly, it describes me very well. I would be gloriously happy to be a 5!
  • The one in my Drs office & PM office is the one that says CHOOSE THE FACE THAT BEST DESCRIBES HOW YOU FEEL.

When I came out of surgery last year I pointed to the crying one and to myself (I could not talk as I had just had nodules removed from my voice box) and my surgeon smiled and said,"yes,I know it hurts honey,take a couple tylenol and we can talk in 10 days."... :/ I thought he would give me that stuff that you can gargle with,but he said that it would not get down there far enough.

I was not taking anything at the time for pain,so I was pretty upset,but somehow I managed to get through.
  • BruceBBruce Posts: 516
    edited 06/17/2016 - 2:26 PM
    here is another that is used quite a bit. The Questionaire is a rather cumbersome way to work out your pain but can be a good way to describe your pain to your doctor (if your doctor is familiar with it).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_pain_index
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Wow thanks i have seen almost all of these in my many many doctor visits. Its good to be prepared. Good post
  • When I am asked about the level of pain I am in, I usually start with

I've had a baby. That was the worst pain of my life. If you forget about that pain... as if I never had that... the pain I am having now is the worst I ever had it's a 10. But If labor is a 10, then I can only be at a 5-7.

I think the pain scale should be 1-10, and labor a 20!!

My problem with the pain scale, is that I have been dealing with pain so long, that what a long time ago would make me cry and scream, I can now sit almost still, wince a little and talk to you. Does that make sense?

Or a situation such as the other night. I was crying from pain, but was not at a 10. I can smile when still... but I am not at a 2. Somewhere in the middle maybe?
  • I know exactly what you mean Amanda.

The last lime..no,the second time I dislocated my shoulder I called my b/f's dad so that I could just talk to someone until my b/f got here to take me to the ER.The pain was bad,but I knew that I had to think about something else and not concentrate on just how bad it looked and felt.

If I let the pain take over I just feel like I'm losing.There are times when it is hard to think about anything else-but I have to try.

I think they use those pain scales more as a guide,but I don't like them either.That is always the first question the nurse asks me when I go in to see my PM Dr.,and then he comes in and comments on it...and of course I feel as though I have to clarify,or I used to,now,no ;) t so much.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.