Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heartburn anyone??

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Over the last few days I have noticed I am experiencing heartburn.
Last night it was so bad it kept me tossing and turning through the night. The only time I have ever suffered from chronic heartburn was when I was pregnant. And NO I am not pregnant. So I am wondering if the meds are causing, and if they are, why? I am going to do some research online, but in the meantime, I thought I would post on here.
Thanks to anyone that has any insight.

Alina
advertisement

Comments

• I have had heartburn ONLY while pregger's also. Actually that is how I found out I was preggers with both of my PLANNED children. But I have been "spayed" as my eloquent husband puts it. LOL So when I had another bout of heartburn I knew it was the meds. I can't for the life of me remember what it was though, have been through too many different ones. I always drank a glass of Milk with it. The down side of that one was the fact that I get an upset tummy from the milk. I just can't drink milk at all.
    Anyway what medication are you taking? I am sure you have posted it somewhere but unsure. If that is something that you want to keep to yourself, I totally understand, but you can PM me and I will see what I can do to help you. And of course if you do PM it wont be repeated here. LOL Well as far as preventing the heartburn
  • I am on OxyContin 40mg 2x per day. Plus up to 4 norco per day for BT. At night I take a .5 xanax and sometimes I add a muscle relaxer to it if I am in dire need. Last night I did indeed do the muscle relaxer and, as mentioned, was up throughout the night with heartburn.
    However, I have had it all day too. I tool 2 tums earlier and it relieved it for an hour or so and since then it has been back full force. I have not been able to locate much on the web re heartburn and the meds. So it really has me baffled. I hope this doesnt mean something serious. I am always sacred of the adverse affects all these meds will have on my internal organs...and to me, this is a warning sign.
    Thanks again for posting. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Alina
  • LEts see here. It sounds like it got worse after teh muscle relaxer. Did you take a muscle relaxer the night before? Norco never gave me heartburn, I can't remember if the Oxycontin did or not. If at all possible try not to take the muscle relaxer for a couple days. IF your heartburn goes away then maybe it is the culprit. Maybe take Pepto or Mayloxx or some form of liquid heartburn med before you take your meds. MAybe that will coat stuff and hopefully prevent the heartburn. I have done a little searching for you. I dont know the muscle relaxer you are taking but found some links where heartburn is related to Xanax. I will PM them to you. I hope this is helping a little bit MJ
  • I too am suffering heartburn. I just mentioned it to my hubby last night and he said, ARE YOU PREGNANT :O . Im not. I also take oxycontin 40 mg twice a day, 4 vicoden es a day and zanaflex. I kinda think it is the zanaflex. It is the newest drug for me and started when I started that. The benefits far outweigh the heartburn and Ive been trying not to eat before I go to bed, but those icecream hotfudge sundaes keep calling me at 11:00pm.
  • I actually had to stop taking all NSAIDs because of heartburn. I was truly afraid I was working my way up to an ulcer. Every so often I can't help myself and take an Advil or an Aleve - heartburn shows up and stays around for days. I tried Prilosec, but never could stick with it long enough to find enough benefit from it, and I really didn't want to add another pill to my daily regimin. I take a generic ranitidine (trade name escapes me)when needed and find that to be very effective, more so than tums.

It's still something I have to deal with occasionally, but I know it is totally self inflected (coffee, juice, smoking). Keeping off the NSAIDs really helps, though.

Go to the drugstore and buy a 7 day course of generic prilosec. The generic is fairly new to the OTC market. It does take several days for it to work. If it works, than you can keep buying it OTC, or you can get a script for it. Some insurance companies are still paying for it even though it has gone OTC. You can get a really good deal at Sam's Club, but I haven't seen the generic there. It's pretty new, so I would imagine they probably have it by now.

Or try some Ranitidine. Do not take Tagamet (cetirizine) it interacts with tons of rx drugs, especially Opiates. I found that out the hard way.
  • Yes Ma'am, here too! But I've had it for years, even before the meds, but it has gotten worse since I've been on meds. Because I'm on medicaid, I have had to change meds a few times because they like to stop covering things w/o warning. I started with Nexxium, went to Propranolol, and now on Omeprazole (generic Prilosec), but I take double the dose on the box for those that buy it OTC (40mg p/day rather than 20mg). Medicaid covers it so I only pay $1 a month for 2 1/2 boxes which, to buy that with cash OTC would be $50 or better. EEK! I could tell the Omeprazole was working 2 days after I started taking it.

If you want something OTC that works fast, I've always had great success from Pepcid AC. I can't stand chewing up antacids and Pepto Bismol makes me gag and throw up before I even get it in my mouth...ICK! Generally the Pepcid AC starts working w/i 10 minutes of when I take it and it lasts a long time too..for me at least.

I personally think you should get it checked out by your Doctor...there's too many things that could be causing it and while you may be right that it's one of the meds, it would be better to find that out now than to find out later that you've got an ulcer or some other, more serious, gastric problem going on.

I spend a lot of nights sitting up because I, like you, don't exactly want to take any more meds than necessary, so since I'm stubborn, and the Omeprazole adds 2 pills a day, I often don't take it unless I start having a problem again, at which point I'll start taking it again. One of these days I'll smarten up and just take it everyday like a big girl ;)

Good luck to you, and hope ya feel better soon! keep us posted if you find something that works and/or find out what's causing it-we'll be here!

Take care of you...
  • I also had alot of problems with stomach issues. I had GERDS before the meds and they just made it worse. I finally had to stop taking all NSAIDS as they caused erosions and bleeding in the stomach and have stopped most other meds too. My Dr. wrote me a script for a oinment with a muscle relaxer and anti-inflamatories in it so it can be applied to the skin and doesn't have to go through the stomach. It had to be made by a compounding pharmacy and was covered by my insurance. I also had one prior to it that contained Lidocaine and Amitrityline along with the other two. It seemed to help alot. My Dr. also gave me a script for Carafate which coats the stomach to prevent irritation from the drugs. I used to take ranitidine (Zantac) and Prilosec but they weren't strong enough so now they have me on Protonix. I know how miserable the stomach issue can be. I don't get the heartburn as much as I get severe chest pains. The Carafate might be something worth looking into. Dava
  • i have been there, was there for along time, but its much better now p.m. me if you want some suggestions, I got to get busy rite now, wish you luck! P.M. anytime
  • You know what else I was thinking...I also have started taking my vitamins on a daily basis. I take fish oil and chromium...I wonder if that could be a culprit too.
    I dont have my appt with my PM until the first of October...so it will be the guessing game until then.
    Thanks again for the help and for all the suggestions.

Alina
  • I now I'm late but I had never had any problems with my stomache before starting the meds, now heartburn/acid reflux city. I currently take six 5mg oxycodone IR's a day along with 2-6 robaxin 650's. I have spoken to others and they have similar problems. For me it's worth it (i just take rolaids). Doe's anyone know if its the oxy or the muscle relaxer?
  • I started getting heartburn right after going to bed and discovered through trial and error that I need to take my evening drugs earlier so that I'm not lying down right after. This has helped immensely.
  • Surprising enough, my much experienced physician pointed out that people with acidity issues such as heartburn or GERD, often experience back pain. He said it is primarily because the whole digestion system exerts pressure on the body which will be shock-absorbed almost always by the back muscles.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.