Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

? Maybe 2nd post? Need support-1st ESI tomrrow-NO Sedation!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi Everyone! Sorry if this turns out to be duplicate...I did post and didn't see it.
Need some good vibes as I am going tomorrow for my 1st cervical ESI and they say NO sedation!!! I have Fibro and am in my 3rd day of flare up along with huge nerve pain. Have high hopes for this, but am scared to death. NO sedation!! Having kids, had one...seems not to be the same??? Any input or good vibes greatly welcomed! Thanks so much!
KG
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck with the ESI tomorrow.....
  • You will do just fine! Make sure you have an ice pack and a comfortable place to relax in when you get home and you will do great!

"C"
  • I do think I will be fine. Just being a baby I guess....Well, not really. I was a bit surprised when they stated NO sedation doing Cervical. Ok........any chance they hit a nerve? Probably not. I do appreciate you all. Thanks so much. I'm sure you all have been through the 1st time jitters! #o
    I do really need to be back here regularly with you all. I have no hopes of surgery and all that is ahead of me and all your knowledge or experiences to share. What a great site!
    KG
  • I had it done a month ago but with sedation. Some people have had it done without though. Take it easy when you get home tomorrow and I do hope it works for you!
  • KG- If you have meds, bring them with you. I had to have a driver but I had sedation for the cervical ESIs. The cervical ESIs worked for me and stopped the headaches I had almost immediately and helped with cervical/shoulder pain. They wore off but the cervical ESIs seemed to help me while the lumbar ones were not so successful. Best wishes for a successful ESI...jade
  • Thanks for the encouraging words. I really don't understand why an I.V. and NO sedation...so what the heck is in the I.V.?
    Anyways....My appt. is at 11:20AM and plan on taking my meds ahead of time of course. Yes, they said a driver and I have my hubby taking me. I don't have headaches thankfully and am so sorry to hear you do! I hear they are just terrible. They do warn me of headache after this. I'm sure I will be fine. I am just a worry wort and any relief right now will be wonderful. Guess you do have to be careful after these. Bleed out, etc.
    Thank you so much. I'll let you all know!!!
    KG
  • The IV is for "just in case", since they are doing a procedure. Standard protocol.

If you are really that nervous when you get there, make sure you let them know.

"C"
  • I did not have sedation with my c-esi either. There was some fairly intense pain in my arm for less than a minute. It was an exact replica of my symptoms, so it confirmed that htey were in the right place. I think you'll do just fine. If you truly want sedation, can you request it? The anesthesiologist who did mine didn't even offer sedation, but I know a lot do. Good luck with it, and I hope you get some relief from it.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi KG,
    I didn't have a cervical esi, but did have the lumbar esi, and I did not have sedation, and had no problem. :) They did numb the area first with some numbing meds, but that was it. I was even laying there watching the x-ray screen and culd see the needle in my back, but all I felt was a little bit of pressure. The dr. did hit a nerve but he had forwarned me about that and it felt like a zing down the leg all the way to my toes, but it was only for a second, and when it happened he knew he was in the correct spot. The shot did recreate the pain numbness and tingling, and only gave me relief for one day. But as for the procedure with no sedation it was no problem for me.
  • I wish you the very best of luck and hope the shot works for you. ;)

Consious Sedations just consist of valium or something similar with a pain med through your IV. So your basically just relaxed and not knocked out so they know if the hit a nerve. Which they should not if a fluroscope guided xray is being used.

If you have your own pain meds/muscle relaxers I would go ahead and take them on the way. (As long as you are having someone drive you)

My pain managment place will not do any type of injections without it. So goes to show you how they are all different.

Let us know how you make out!!! Hope it works for ya..
    If ya went through child birth you can do this!!! =D> =D>
  • Only a few hours to wait. I had lumbar ESI for childbirth and no sedation...so this shouldn't be a biggie. The 2nd one the stupid guy couldn't find the spot..sooo...OUCHY! Having me under the thingy that shows where to go is a relief.
    Have taken my norco already and will the relaxer. Yes! A driver. I am worried about the scare tissue, if any and then hitting a nerve. Oh well....considering the huge hours of pain vs this little type of pain...should be a snap! I hope I can sleep when I get home like I have seen lots of you do. I've only slept 3 hours..ARG!
    Thanks for the I.V. info C....does make sense. They do have to be careful.
    Again...Thank you all so much and I will let you all know. Really appreciate all your feedback.
    KG
    :H
  • Just letting you know all went well with the ESI. Amazing how we work ourselves up over things like this. Feeling very sore and burning now and just over all don't feel good, but sure this will pass. I at least got about 3 hours sleep when I got home.
    As this being my first ESI, I had to talk with DR. first and today learned something on my recent MRI that I didn't know. "Congenital" spinal canal narrowing.
    Was wondering with this injection, I have Fibro and the burning of this med put some primary muscles in my back that I always have problems with on fire! Dr. asked...Your muscles are burning? Has anyone with Fibro had this experience in their muscles? Is this normal? He scooted out before I had a chance to ask him about it.
    Thanks again for all the support and input. Need to go rest now.
    :H
  • I don't know anything about it but you may want to ask this question over on the fibromyalgia (I assume this is what you mean when you say "fibro") board as well. Maybe you'll get more responses from those folks. Just a thought. :)))
advertisement