Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Urinary problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am not sure which topic this really fits in...

I have been treated for UTIs twice in as many months. I truly think it has something to do with my back, or with my meds. I went to urgent care and he looked at my list of meds and said none of them cause urine retention (amitriptyline, Oxycontin, Percocet, and birth control). He also said that lower back problems cause incontinence, not rentenion or hesitance.

I swear it has something to do with my back, and I actually found something called "lazy bladder" on the internet (on the web site for an OTC UTI med called Cystex, of all places). Bascially, lower back problems cause problems with flow - when you muscles/nerves are shot, your flow of urine isn't as strong as it should be, and you may also not notice the sensation of having to go, since your muscles are all tensed up all the time anyway. Makes sense to me, but why can't I find a pharmacist or a doctor who believes me.

Has anyone else experienced UTIs with much more frequency after back injuries/problems? And besides increasing fluids, is there anything I can do? Thanks! I really don't want to have to go to urgent care once a month for this.
advertisement

Comments

• So I have to keep this short! Have you had any surgery done prior to this? I have had problems with not being able to go since my 2nd surgery 7 years ago. I have a freind who told me that there can be many causes for this. The surgery itself, aneshtesia, the med's during surgery, med's after surgery, etc. I don't have UTI's though. I just can't go period! I'm in partial renal failure and that may be the cause also. I've gone up to 48 hours at a time with out ever having the need to go, this is fairly commen for me. Not good huh? Good luck, I hope someone has an answer for you!
  • I swear it happens to me as well. I think ALL of the muscles tighten up, including the ones we use to release urine. I just go out of the hospital again after an accute low back attack. They had to use a catheter to remove the urine. You will find all doctors have different opinions.
  • i have bladder problems too i have even had to self cath myself at times, sometimes i go when i dont want to and cant when i want to.. i can go into this more maybe in private, and im getting tired and need to go to bed so nini.. patsy
  • When I was on Oxycotin it seemed like I wouldn't go pee all day long. Literally!!! I would go to the bathroom right after I got to work, cuz that was usually when I went before the oxy cuz of all of the coffee lol) Then I would go in after lunch. Sometimes I would sit there for 10 minutes before I could produce anything ~X( . I know that if I didn't go to the restroom at the times that I normally went before I started taking the oxycotin, I would never never go. Usually IF I did go it seemed like it was maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon. Sorry if TMI. So check into the oxycotin. After I stopped taking that med all went back to normal. A friend of mine, who is no longer with us, had the same problem when she was on oxycotin also. I have never had a UTI though so that part I cant help you on sorry
  • Hi Rosetta!!
    Have you been to a urologist yet??
    They can describe exactly what is going on with you when it comes to the urinary system. There are so many different types of unrinary issues.
    So my personal opinion if this happens alot to you. That would be a Dr of choice to get things on the right path.

I wish you the best of luck. Sorry for the problems you have now. I have chronic stones so I know all to well about the pain of that and the lower back UGGGHH

I have no issues with passing urine etc since my lower back injury and fusion surgery in 07.

Hang in there!!!!! Let us know!!! ;)
    >:D< >:D< O:) O:)
  • I have never had a bladder infection, did have what i though might be a kidney infection one time, but never went to the doc,s maybe it was just part of my friend that visited once a month who knows was a looooong time ago but i went 3 days and it just would not work, i went to urologist they did this and that-and finally a cath was the only way i could empty at this time i was still at doc.s office-well next day came and could not go had to go back to doc,s, its something to do with my muscles they taught me how to self cath myself and i had to do this for about a week and then i had to just learn kinda how to get it to work haven't had to self cath for awhile now, i do get worried though i never will hold myself cause im afraid if i do i wont be able to pee and when im getting ready to go somewhere i prolly try and pee 5 times in last 5 min. before we leave, now i have it both ways if i laugh or sneeze i pee but the next time my bladder will feel full and no pee for me. for me its all a muscle problem and i just have learned to live with it, for its not to bad i sure dont need a new med for it thats for sure, i have been told by my neurologist that it very well could have to do with the myeolopathy,im glad i had my hysterectomy when i did cause having both this peeing thing and the other i would scream. ...patsy can only handle one thing at a time ! i used to be a multi doer of many sorts, but not no more ....patsy my initials are p.p. funny you think sum of my funny close friends call me pee-pee bye
  • After you urinate, push again to get out the last drop,If the baldder doesnt empty completely, bacteria will grow and cause UTI's. Hope this helps, and drink plenty of water to flush the kidneys.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.