Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

October/November Upcoming Surgeries Post your story here!! :)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All!!!!
A question was asked by another member Angelanic if a October/November surgery post has been started.
WELL HERE IT IS!! O:) O:)

So Angelanic if you would like to keep this up as I will be out of commission for awhile with my surgery next week. That would be awesome!!!! :D

To all having neck/spinal surgery scheduled for October or November months go ahead and post your story here of your date, why you need surgery etc.

Its great to keep everything together like Chrissy started for Aug/September. That way you all can compare stories, give each other a shoulder to lean on etc.

GOOD LUCK to all of those scheduled for those months!!
;)
advertisement

Comments

• Hello, i have my pre-surgical visit with NS next Friday 9/19. I am planning on scheduling L4/5 fusion for November. I am still breastfeeding my baby. He will be a year old on 9/28. I want to be able to wean him before surgery, so that is why i am shooting for Nov. I hate the feeling like i have to rush it (weaning), but i am in quite a lot of pain. I have lived with it for over 4 years now. I am hoping for an easy recovery! Keeping my fingers crossed! My hubby will take 2 weeks off of work to help with our 4 children. Then between my mom and friends (strong support system through church/homegroup), i am hoping to get thru this ok! I will keep you updated after my appt next week!
    *Another question: how soon after a fusion can you return to an "active" married life?? ;)
  • My surgery date is October 26. I'm not sure the technical name for it, but it's like... an ALIF, but they're also going through the back with some instrumentation, in the same surgery. My signature pretty much says most of it.

I get anxiety sometimes, because surgery just scares me. I wasn't really scared for the MicroD, but this time around for the fusion I am. Some days things aren't as bad, and I wonder if maybe I am making the wrong decision in proceeding with the surgery as planned. Then there are days when it's horrible and I remember why I am doing it. Does anyone else ever have those wishy washy bi polar feelings at times? Lol
  • Well, I am scheduled for a laser surgery on October 7th to harden my L5 and S1 discs. No one has seem to heard about this before and I am finding very little information. It will be outpatient which is great and only a few days of recovery. This probably won't take away the pain though since It doesn't remove the herniation and fracture I have. I therefore expect to go in mid-November for a endoscopic microdiscectomy. Same deal..outpatient..about a week until I can drive and go back to work! Amazing. When I had my lami it took six weeks before I could drive.

<:P Terri I definately will keep up this thread next week. It is a great forum to share of hopes and fears.

I) Jaime, When I had my lami in 2005 it took a good 3 weeks until there was an activity going on in that area. But I sure it stinks now anyway..so that will be better. It is awful trying to find a postion that doesn't make pain shoot up my leg or my leg to tingle (and not in a good way). ;)

Best Wishes,

Angela
  • Good luck Angela with this new laser surgery you are having. I wish you all the best in a speedy recovery! And then hopfully NO more leg pain (anytime!) :)
    Love, Jaime
  • :jawdrop: Hi all.
    I finaly got the MRI and appointment I needed to arrange the operations (which is being spilt in two, to reduce stress to muscles and nerve damamge)

Here are the details - but it didn't give the name of the discs used I'm afraid, so I will up date this when I find out. I do however know that he isn't using bone graft, but stem cell/bone marrow from my body that is taken while in theatre at the time. I'm guessing that is why I won't require a full body brace, just a lumbar support/velcro wrap.

The First op is 'correction of lumbar deformity and scoliosis' and 'primary lumbar decompression'
    Five days later I have to return to theatre for 'anterior instrumented correction of a lumber kyphoscoliosis'
    There will be two days in high dependancy unit and I should get home 5/6 days after the second op.

I then have a walking plan for 6 weeks after starting at 2x400m walks a day increasing each week (800m, 1200m, 1500m up to 2.5km in week 6) After 6 week review I start my 4 - 6 month physio rehab program.

So - that's me. Sort of looking forward to it, but I've 3 weeks to go, so will continue with normal life until then.

If anyone has any tips of what I should do before hand, or need to put in place after, I'm all ears

• Hello everyone,

I just wnated to welcome you to this thread that Terri so graciously started for all those with upcoming surgeries.

There are so many wonderful people here full of information and willing to share their experience and their support.

I wish you all the best and will be checking in often to see who has up and coming surgery. By the way, if your feeling you need some added extra support please feel free to PM anytime and I will do my best to support you throughout your journey!

Chrissy
  • Hi all...I'm active on the board again..Its my turn at bat....

I'm finally scheduled for Nov 10 for a S/5 4/5 TLIF with hardware. :jawdrop: no bone graphs/donations for me...I'll be getting those titanium ..bone fusion promoting inserts at 2 levels. Maybe I'll be a good looking 6'1" again! LOL

My last set of LPARS, was June...and lasted into July...I sort of wanted to prove to my self how bad things really are....and I did. ~X( Vicodins are holding me true until Nov.

Tolerating cronic leg pain/numbness was not enough in one leg..the pain in the ass (no pun) from the pars was routine, but now my other leg is taking hits and back pain from my herinations and facet joint arthritis at 2 levels has me on fire.

Broken....still moving...and real entertainment for those who see me twitch and wobble throughout my day (you know those jolts and spikes). Even with extra care I still manage to do some physical things....and do pay dearly for it for days after.

Its progressively getting worse...so the time is now.

Don't mean to frighten anyone...but my mind is running in circles.....Many of you been there...

Additionally, I was surprised to see my Cat scans show up on google after my post a few months back.
    I circled the 2 pars breaks and where my L5 decicded to make home up against my L4..(stenois)

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&q=+site:tk1.dyndns.tv+pars+defect

• Hiya,
    I am scheduled to have facet joint injections, im told they put you to sleep now when they do them (thats a relief). Not sure of dates though. Good Luck to everyone who is having surgery ! >:D<

Angie x
  • Hello Kadaro and Shell.

Kadaro, good luck with your surgery on Nov 10th
    We will all be rooting for you while your on
    your surgery and recovery journey. I am sending
    out the good vibes and prayers that you surgery
    will bring you the releif you deserve!

Angie, I wish you well with your facet injections. I do
    hope the injections will give you some relief. I
    had them, but I don't quite remember being totally
    asleep. Every doc is different so I hope this is
    going to be it for you! best of Luck!

I wish eveyone a great day!
    Chrissy
  • :H Welcome to all the new posters! it looks like we are going to have a large group!

I have been having a lousy weekend. I started Lyrica last monday and I had instant relief of my leg pain that had recently gotten really bad. But then this Saturday morning it came back with a vengence and is not going away. I can't figure it out! Any thoughts?

Angela
  • Hi to EVERYONE that is in the Oct/Nov surgery club!!

Like Chrissy said please do not hesitate to write down any thoughts or concerns.

I will be gone from Wed-Sat or Sun in the hospital.
    But will get back on of course the day I come home because I get wicked withdrawals from the computer =))

I want to wish you all the best of luck!!!

P.S. As for the leg pain. Call your Dr. May be a side effect from the Lyrica, ya just never know.
    But remember your going in to get the issue fixed.
    So something that may work for a few days, may stop.
    Just my personal experience with things..

I feel your pain right now I really DO!!!!! >:D< >:D<
    My legs are the worst pain that I have. More so then my back itself.

HUGS EVERYONE!!!
    >:D< >:D< :* :*
  • Hi Angie,

I've had a total of 20+ of those shots over the past couple years. Many at start, with my first dr, I was put out.
    I had changed dr's after I had my second optinion...and gave it a go without sedation. It was not really bad at all!

I would say the epidurals are the ones you might elect sedation for...but the facet shots....try it with out.

FYI: I would have to admit, and my family will agree...for a grown man I'm a freakin scaredy cat when it comes to needles. I can bust open a knuckle working on a car and not think twice about it.....but aim a needle at me and I cringe.

They use a local to sedate the area, and with spot xray to guide the needle to the exact spot. I only felt pressure...and a little sensitive at times.

Perhaps my new dr is an artist at it...but I was only uptight about the experience....the shots themselves a breeze.

Relax...either way.....you'll be ok. ;)

Tom

• I'm having L4-S1 360 fusion on 10/6. Physically ready for it but not mentally. A little freaked about post-op and recovery. I'm pretty much bone on bone so i know it's not going to get any better. i'm just tired of this controlling my life. anyone had a 360 on those levels? what is the first week going to be like?
  • Hi and WELCOME to spine health!
    As you know there is a ton of "wonderful" information on here.

I did not have a 360 just posterior. I am curious to find out why your Dr wants a 360 with those levels. I know all Dr are different in their approach. I would just like to know their conclusion for surgery that way.

The firt week is always tuff. I was out of it for 2 days in the hospy. 3rd day they took out the catherter. Got me out of bed "this is the tuffest part" of the whole surgery I think Once you learn after a few times. It is not so bad.
    I was sat up in the chair to eat for 15 min. Then they had me walk down the hall and back.
    The 4th day. Pt came in and gave me all the "goods" to come home with etc.
    The drive home was tricky. But we got here.
    The first week pretty much was trying to find a comfortable postion. Walking!!!!! As much as your body allows. ALL of us are different in how we recover. I was up like every 2-3 hours. Having to take my meds. I used lots of ice packs.
    I can say I was very sore but it was not painful Like "sharp pain"
    It takes awhile for your body to adjust.
    Your dr will give you all your pre op instructions as they are all different with everyone. No bending, twisting etc.
    Not sure if your going to have a "half" brace "full" brace, no brace?
    After the 1st week home you usually start getting used to your routine. You will have your up and down days.

GOOD LUCK!!
    You will see everyone's story differs in how things went for them etc..
    Just remember after you get home to call your Dr with any new pain or symptoms that do not make sense to you.

Take care
    Terri

P.S. sorry for the rambling its early!!!! 8} I) 8}
    hope i made sense....
  • Hiya Tom,
    I have had both before without sedation, i must say that the epidural :SS was the worse one of the two. They tell me that as for the facet joint injections thats how they do them under anestetic. My surgeon did them last time, but the pain management team are doing them this time. Thankyou for your input.

Angie x

• GOOD LUCK FOR NOVEMBER !

>:D<

Angie x
  • Have an ALIF with a posterior fixation? There doesn't seem to be too many people here with surgery in the front and back in the same day, same surgery.... Just wanted to hear from someone who has experienced it. Either here or through a PM. Would be greatly appreciated!!!!
  • Terri - thanks for relpying. my doc said this was the approach always used and had proved to be a better fusion rate. my pre-op appt is the 29th so i'll find out more then. i will be wearing a brace...not sure what kind.

how long after did you return back to work. mine is mostly a desk job.

thnx again...
  • Hi Lo, i am having that procedure in October. it's called a 360 fusion.
    When are you scheduled for yours?
  • I am scheduled for lower back surgery on October 14, 2008.

I will be having bilateral work done on L4-L5. (Laminectomy and Disconectomy)

Hurt back May 2007.
  • October 16, gotta be there for 7:00am. What about you?? Is yours at L4-L5 too, or which level/s?
  • mine is L4-L5-S1. i had a microdiscectomy in '06 which did nothing. i've had about 6 steroid injections which gave temporary relief. so, i just decided enough is enough and i schedule the procedure. had a discogram and mri and it shows the L5/S1 disc is pretty much gone. ick!!
  • Well, I just got my call today. The hospital called & my surgery has beed scheduled for Oct 1st. I'm having a ALIF with a bone graft for L1 S5.

I've been waiting for this, but now that it's so soon, I'm freaked out.

Kristie
  • Hiya,
    It will give you a new lease of life! Good Luck! 8}

Angie x
  • Hiya dave,
    I had that done. Good Luck! :)

Angie x
  • Hiya Kriste,
    Stay calm, you will be fine. All the Best!

Angie x
  • Good luck :) Are you having hardware in the front or the back?
  • anyone hear how it went for teri? I am in awful pain again today. I went on 50 tid lyrica two weeks ago and it really helped. Then major pain for the weekend. Was switched to 75 tid last Monday night. Good relief and now again today (Sunday) horrible achy siatica. No idea what to do next! I am already feeling bloated at this dosage and don't want to increase. My disc hardening surgery was supposed to be on October 7 and I just got a call on Friday that it was pushed off to the 14. In one week I am traveling from nj to San fran which will not be fun if I am still in pain. I am also taking flexiral at might and naproxen twice a day and oxy this weekend. Any thoughts?
advertisement