Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SPINAL FUSION - SO CONFUSED

Precious BamaPPrecious Bama Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am so confused tonight - I have read and researched so much on spinal fusion today that my eyes are crossing. I am going to my dr tomorrow for my neck but I want to ask him some questions if I ever decide on back fusion. I do not understand why so many people have the open surgery rather the minimally invasive type. Could it be the dr does not know how to do it? Thank you very much.
Brenda
advertisement

Comments

• I was referring to fusion using cage.
    Brenda
  • Brenda, it is quite normal to feel nervous at this point. It is good that you read about fusions, and it is also good to write down all the questions you have so you can ask your surgeon. The question you posted here would be very appropriate to ask him. I am sure he would have good reasons for whatever type of surgery he suggests, but you have every right to know why he thinks it is the best one for you. Now, I noticed that different people have different surgeries, usually for good reason. For example, some people are not good candidates for a certain type of surgery, some need more extensive work than what could be done with the less invasive approach. At the end, it is more important to have the right surgery, the one that can resolve your problems, than to get away easy with only minor surgery, but then need more later on.

Wishing you the best for making the right decision,

Kin
  • Brenda, it is quite normal to feel nervous at this point. It is good that you read about fusions, and it is also good to write down all the questions you have so you can ask your surgeon. The question you posted here would be very appropriate to ask him. I am sure he would have good reasons for whatever type of surgery he suggests, but you have every right to know why he thinks it is the best one for you. Now, I noticed that different people have different surgeries, usually for good reason. For example, some people are not good candidates for a certain type of surgery, some need more extensive work than what could be done with the less invasive approach. At the end, it is more important to have the right surgery, the one that can resolve your problems, than to get away easy with only minor surgery, but then need more later on.

Wishing you the best for making the right decision,

Kin
  • You're right, some surgeons are not trained in the minimally invasive techniques, so that could be one reason. Another could be that the areas of disease make it impossible to reach with that approach. Some hardware cannot be inserted that way or the correct size cannot be inserted. Also, I understand that because of female anatomy(hip bones), sometimes the correct angles for insertion(or something like that) cannot be obtained unless an open surgery is used. I've also heard that the retractor tools used during the surgery can cause muscle damage if left in place too long.

I had minimally invasive lumbar fusion with my first surgery and have two scars on my back, one on each side. If I had a more traditional method, I would have only had one scar down the middle. In my own opinion, I think the minimally invasive is highly publicized as better but maybe doesn't make that much of a difference in the end.

What's most important is that the doctor you choose uses the technique he thinks is the best for you! :)
  • I think it depends on how severe your case is. My surgeon CAN preform both kinds (minimally invasive and NOT)-but he told me that my case was too severe to try the less invasive type. I think he said it was do to a large schmorls node that was present in the area being fused. So, if your case is not that bad-then he may be able to do it in a less invasive manner. On another thread I saw that some people say that the less invasive kind takes LONGER than invasive-I am not sure that would be true-my surgery took nine hours-I can not imagine it being longer than that if it were less invasive.
advertisement