Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To those of you who are or have been in physical therapy post-op a question....

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey gang,

I started PT on Monday. I was so happy to be at that point in my recovery but I am sad to say that I hurt. I have been having to take my percocet again at least once in the evening. I was wondering if you had to go back to pain meds once you started PT? I only have a few pills left. Do you think my NS would give me another refill? I have only had 2 prescriptions since surgery back on 7/10 because I didn't take two pills just one as needed these last few weeks.

I'm not discouraged but can't help but be a tad concerned.

thoughts?

TIA
advertisement

Comments

• I feel the need to take meds after over doing it or going to PT. I usually take meds before my appt. I believe it's normal. We are still recovering.

Good luck with PT.

Yvonne
  • I was on Neurontin when I started physical therapy so I think that helped. I also would take an ibuprofen before I went and then ice my spine later that evening and take more ibuprofen before bed. Maybe try using ice if you are not already. I noticed my pain would get worse for two days after starting a new exercise and then after a couple days it would go away. It would be time to go to PT again and she'd always give me new exercises and then I'd get more pain again for a couple days and then the increase of pain seemed to go away by day 3. That was my experience. But the more time that went by in PT the less my pain got once I started to get stronger.
  • It is quite normal to have more pain when starting or even increasing PT. When I was in rehab they insisted on taking an Endone or 2 before PT and still do sometimes now depending on what else I have had.
    Ask your NS or even you local Dr for a refil on hte script.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • There were a few PT visits that afterwards I was crying and cursing at the same time on the way home. Gradually, towards the last visit, I didn't hurt as much, but I'm still taking pain meds. I haven't had a day yet where I didn't hurt and I'm 9 weeks postop from ALIF L4/L5.

Everyone is different. PT really gets the nerves to firing more and the muscles going. I think you are perfectly normal and yes, I would call your doctor and ask for a refill. Mine will not do those over the phone, you have to go in and get a written, but yours might be different.

Good luck with PT. It helped my legs and some strengthen, also taught me some good stretches and exercises to continue doing.

Melisa
  • It depends on the doctor and their guidelines that they set. I read some will only prescribe until 2 weeks post op. I think if you had a fusion they'd go longer than that.
    I'm around 13 weeks post op TLIF and am still on long acting meds and break thru meds. I recently started PT and boy oh boy does it hurt. I hope yours goes less painful.

What's with the goals questions? Everyone's trying to better, right? Is it a question to feel out where you are emotionally, occupational, or just for evaluation purposes? /:)
  • I had cervical fusion.My doctor started PT three weeks post-op. but only for my arms..not doing anything yet for my neck. Yes, I had increased pain and fatique after starting and had to up my meds again. I told my PT and he reduced some exercises for a while. be sure to talk with your PT and doctor. take care and good luck
  • I try to take a pain pill 45 minutes to 1 hour before PT. Then when I get home I need to lay down with ice ASAP. When i don't the next day is rough. I run out of steam about 1:30 every day - and school isn't out until 3:20. Those kids better watch out that last part of the day!

advertisement