Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

herniated disc and drop foot! i'm new, need more info

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello,
I have been experiencing back pains for 4 years now. it's on and off and I finally had a doctor recommend PT April of this year. for some reason after that, my right buttock all the way down to my right foot started feeling numb, aching and in constant pain. So, just this monday after doing xray and MRI, doctor told me that the ruptured disc is pressing on the nerve controlling my leg movement which actually caused my drop foot. It's scary when you know in your mind you're moving your foot but you're seeing it in front of you that it's not moving at all.

I saw the neurosurgeon just this last Monday and we decided to do the discectomy in about a month.

I'm scared, I don't know the risks, I just want to be somehow be back to normal.

I want to hear stories good or bad about people who's had the drop foot and discectomy. Did it help?

thanks and looking forward to hearing back from people.
:))) :)))
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome,you should read the back surgury section,and the good news section,good luck with your surgury...
  • I am really scared. I just know i need to have it done because I'm in so much pain. it's hard to drive when you can't flex your foot.

thanks so much for the feedback. I will keep reading the forum topics, they've been really helpful and informative.

any other drop foot and discectomy stories, please share.
  • Hiya,
    Hey there is not anything to worry about, the surgery will help you get the movement back in your foot. Good Luck! Hey keep us posted it will be nice to know how you get on.

Angie >:D<
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Please keep in mind while reading through the forums, that the percentage of failures vs successes will be higher. Many people come here for support, information and encouragement and once they've had a successful outcome they tend to move on. So although it may seem that there's a huge percentage of failures, there really isn't.

Once again, welcome to the site.

"C"
  • I know u are in alot of pain and really concerned about the drop foot.but the worst thing u can do is worry.............i know it must be terrible driving and not able to flex the foot....hopefully everything will go well with ur surgery
  • I think that much will depend on whether or not you have permanent damage to your nerves or not. If not then when the pressure is removed from the nerve you should regain that feeling back. As far as being afraid of the microD as long as you trust your surgeon you should be fine. I think that the microD has an 80% success rate if I am not mistaken. Either way you must do it or risk permanent damage. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I'm really glad I'm in this forum. I was having second thoughts about the surgery and was thinking of postponing it but the more I thought about it, it doesn't make sense to postpone something that will help me in the long run.

any stories good or bad, please share....

:H
  • surgery in about a month, getting prepared for it. Hopefully not a permanent damage.

thanks again to all of you who have left encouraging messages.

please share stories...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.