Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Skin on Fire, Pain Worse!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
This is a subject that I've wanted to discuss with others for a very long time. I've had three different responses from three different doctor's. On my lower back where I had all 3 of my surgery's the sking on and around that area stays warm all of the time. As the pain level increases, the sking on my back becomes even hotter. Many times it's been as hot as fire! As least in my opinion. It covers an area of about 8 inches in diameter. Sometimes it can turn a s little pink and occasionally even feel swollen. But the heat of the skin is my biggest concern/wonderment. Does anyone else else have this? In the winter time I can run my hand along my back and the skin will be cold, until I get to that infamous 8 inch circle and then I feel the warmth. And as I said, the heat rises along with the pain. My mom, husband, sister, and doctors have all felt it. If anyone knows why this happens I would really like to know. Also, I would like to know if your's gets hotter when your pain is higher? Here are the 3 things that I've been told. (1) it's inflammation,(2) it's normal, (3) it's an allergic reaction to the hardware in my spine. My surgeon doesn't know about it yet, it's been years since I've even seen him. But I am looking for a new one to go to. (Not that there was anything wrong with him) I just want a set a fresh eyes. OK, who has this and why does it happen?
advertisement

Comments

• Jewels i get that too.i was thinkiong myself that it had something to do with my surgery.........also do u get like ur lungs are on fire[especially worse at time of month]............like u cant breathe properly.........i was thinking that it might be related to my surgery.that stuff that the surgeon used bmp...it said in one article that it caused an increase body tempeture in animals.....im seeing a scoloisis surgeon this wednesday..................so maybe he can give me some answers.
  • jewels i have sent u a pm....u want to come in chatroom or just pm?
  • I don't get the hot sking situation with my lungs, just where I actually had my surgery. It's like the skin itself is hot. well not actullay like, it is hot! The actual skin! But I do have a problem with my lungs. They get this very painful feeling like they are being tightened in a vise grip. It's hard to breathe when that happens. One of these days feel an area of your skin where you have severe pain underneath and see if the actual skin itself is warm to the touch. It's very surprising just how hot my back can get. I hope that I'm making some sense here, I just retired from the chat room with you, I have a pair of gloves on because I was taking out the trash, and I'm incredibly sleepy. I hope we talk again soon. And I hope you have a good day today too!
    My best to you,
    Jewels >:D<
  • it seems as if it were really an allergic reaction to your hardware that you could really be having problems throughout your whole body from that. I would definitely want some answers. I do get very hot skin in my lumbar region that coincides with pain but I feel that it is inflammation in my case because it gets especially hot when I am spasming.
  • I get that also on the outter side of my left thigh. Sometimes it is so painful from the burn I wanna rub it off, which of course the rubbing makes it worse my doctor (neuro) said it was nerve pain. Then again my doctor uses nerve pain for alot of answers.
    I hope you find the right answer and I hope that it gets better for you soon
    Sheryl
  • How long ago was your surgery?
    Hardware allergies are rare, but do happen.
    Infections, especially with atypical bacteria (i.e. atypical mycobacteria etc.) can be difficult to diagnose. Usually patients have a high sedimentation rate; a skin biopsy (tiny 5 min. procedure) can allow tissue to be sent for culture, but the doctor has to be very specific about how to plate it & what medium/temp. to use to allow bacteria to grow.
    Worse fear - might be RSD/CRPS. Do you have a pain management doc? Sometime they can do a sympathetic nerve block to see if that's what's going on.. Its a bear to treat, hope its not that...
  • How long ago was your surgery?
    Hardware allergies are rare, but do happen.
    Infections, especially with atypical bacteria (i.e. atypical mycobacteria etc.) can be difficult to diagnose. Usually patients have a high sedimentation rate; a skin biopsy (tiny 5 min. procedure) can allow tissue to be sent for culture, but the doctor has to be very specific about how to plate it & what medium/temp. to use to allow bacteria to grow.
    Worse fear - might be RSD/CRPS. Do you have a pain management doc? Sometime they can do a sympathetic nerve block to see if that's what's going on.. Its a bear to treat, hope its not that...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.