Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI "unremarkable"

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hey guys, had an MRI last Sunday. Thoratic/Cervical Came back "unremarkable" That's good right?
advertisement

Comments

• sounds good to me!patsy
  • :) that sounds very good!! =D> unless you are having pain and need a diagnosis. ~X( in that case it might not be so good. just a thought! 8} Jenny :)
  • I gree with Lulsheart, its good if you are not in pain and frustrating if you are.

My MRI came back showing nothing significant as well. Then why am I in such pain? At least if it had showed something we would know what we were dealing with. Now its just a stab in the dark. EXTREMLY FRUSTRATING..

Do you have pain? I would assume you do or you wouldn't have had an MRI. Where do you hurt?
  • A radiologist may make a report that says it's unremarkable and a surgeon may see exactly where the problem is. Wait until you get to meet up with the doc and go over it before you worry one way or the other.

"C"
  • I am having pain in my upper back, and neck. The PM said it is most likely coming from the pain in my lumbar area. He also said that since there is arthritis in the lumbar area, It very well could be in my upper back also.

The pain in my upper back is not in my spine, more on both sides of my spine, like between the shoulder blades.

I have heard that a lot of times people have pain in their back, and the MRI shows nothing. I was talking to the technician about that when I had my lumbar scan. She said that is the most frustrating, because then the patient doesn't know wth is going on. I can understand how frustrating that may be!!
  • Have you ever had a bone scan?
  • Funny you should ask that. After I called to get my results, they told me that they want me to have a bone scan... Hoping to get one next week

Why do you ask?
  • When i found out i had two protrusions in my upper back it was from a bone scan,and they also said i have ddd....
  • Ime in the same boat! which stateroom you on? ya know why?
    COZ THIS BOAT IS SINKING!well enough of the histrionics. my images have come back multiple times "clean" relatively...so why do i still have my most excrusiating pain there. keep after the docs till they find out whats getting you. mine is a seven and when the breakthrough hits its like a 20..how about you? mine is right around the nipple line(sorry) beengetting worse for years, bbut i havnt given up yet, dont you either! please dont let this go too long and i hope you find soem rest from it!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    I know that one of the most frustrating things to deal with is when you know you are in pain, but the tests you have taken so far shows nothing! You almost begin to wonder, Is it in my Mind! Am I crazy!

I am not aware of any spinal condition that will not show up in one test or another. There are so many diagnostic test available. When the ones you have to date do not show anything, you hope that your doctor will not give up and start pulling together other tests, other resources to isolate your problem.

When I was going through 2006 and 2007 without much positive feedback on what to do, I just sat down with my Pain Management doctor and said. Ok, whats next, where else can we go? And if you dont have the answers, thats ok, but I need to know That worked out for me, not because we didnt know what was wrong, but we couldnt figure out how to work on it.

Some of the best doctors are really like detectives. They gather all the evidence that is before them, start to make some conclusions and then go looking for more clues, more evidence that can prove something one way or the other.

Amanda, never accept No, we dont have an answer
    Just respond, Ok, if YOU dont know WHO does!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I kind of feel like the pain in my upper back is more muscular. Maybe I'm straining, to compensate for my lower back pain. For as long as I can remember, I have gotten these terrible knots in my upper back, between the shoulder blades, but on either side of my spine.

They have recommended a bone scan now, which actually surprised me. I am used to asking the doctor to do the tests you know? I'm not sure when I will be getting the bone scan, but hopefully that will shed some light on my issues.

One of my major concerns is that I have lost at least two inches in height since high school. In California, every year they do state health exams, physical fitness tests etc. I know from back then, that I was 5'8" Earlier this year at my GYN they took my height, and told me I was 5'5 1/2" I told them "no way" and made them check again.

I called around to all of my doctors, and none had any record of my height, so I wasn't able to prove any loss of height. I have mentioned it to ALL of the doctors I have seen since, and all I get is 'well I don't know anything about that'

I went to the Chiro last week, and was finally able to confirm that I was 5'8" the first time I saw him. He did my height again, and it shows 5'6" now. So that shows a loss of at least 2 inches, before the age of 30. I don't know why my doctors aren't concerned about this. I know that it certainly isn't normal to lose so many inches so young. Maybe the bone scan can explain why?
  • Please have that bone scan done and ask the doc if they can order it on your spine rather than your foot (go to the source I always say). Also have then do a blood draw to check the vitamin D levels in your blood as well as your thyroid levels. Low vitamin D will block the absorption of calcium and thyroid problems can exasperate the problem as well.

I'm not saying you have either one of these problems but it's better to be safe than sorry, right? My mother had extremely low vitamin D levels that went unchecked and she lost almost 7 inches in height and started having spinal fractures before anyone thought to check. You're far too young to lose that much height!

Let us know how you do,

Griff
  • That's a good idea. My PCP is always doing blood tests, I never know for what though. I always just get a letter saying lab results are good. I will have to go through them and see if they have ever checked vitamin D. On second thought it might be easier to just call them and ask. I know I am a little low on iron, but only by like 2 points.
advertisement