Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need help (any input on your experience with ultram)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
I was wondering what everyone's experience with ultram has been. I really appreciate any input as this drug is the only one my doctor might administer as i have been honest with him about my addictive personality.

PS if anyone could compare the relief to 5/500 hydrocodone I would appreciate it

THANK YOU ALL :)))
advertisement

Comments

• They do help me to a degree. They come in 50mg tabs. I was on 400 mg a day. The max allowable.
    I was on them for almost 4 years.
    I will say they did not work like a hydrocodone.
    At first I got the racey feeling/very tired. Then that stopped after my body got immuned to them.

They took the edge off a bit. But always with meds they are going to work for one person and not the other.

Of course anymore questions about them the pharmacy or the dr can answer them best.

Good luck with them!!!
  • I have had experience with ultram . I have had 2 spinal surgies/ 2 fusions. Ultram did take the edge off a bit but it gave me cold sweats any many nightmares. I can't really compare it to hydrocodone becaus ethat didn't work for me at all.

I wish you luck and I know what pain feels like.
  • Thanks guys i appreciate it . And yea it has a different effect on everyone so ill have to find out on my own.
  • I am on Tridural (tramadol er), I find that it helps take the edge off, but causes a lot of nausea and loss of appetite. It won't hurt to try it, like you said, meds work differently for everyone.
  • Migraines from the med. There are a lot of weird side effects on this med. One person even was fainting from it.
    For the pain - it did take the edge off for me for longer that 5/500 did. Thats one good thing about it - it holds true to the time it dulls the pain.
    Good luck.

Alina
  • Thank you everyone. Any extra personal experience with the drug would be helpful I appreciate it maybe we can turn this thread into a sticky , as tramadol seems to be a big ? around here
  • That was me who was fainting. Because I already have low blood pressure, and ultram can cause sudden changes in blood pressure, which in turn caused me to faint... fun fun fun
  • I was taking tramadol for about a month. It did ok for the pain, wasn't great, but it was enough. Kept me awake, and energetic. I would be careful though, as tramadol while not narcotic, can also be addictive. It says so in the paper that comes with it, that it should not be used by anyone with a history of abuse.

However... I have heard it prescribed to a lot of people who aren't supposed to take narcotics because of prior abuse. If taken as prescribed, you should do fine.

I can't really compare it to vicodin. Pain relief wise, I would say its close. I noticed a mild mood boost with it, very subtle. It helps a lot with fatigue. If I took it anytime after noon, I had a real hard time sleeping at night.

I recently stopped taking it because it was giving me a racing heart, I felt like I had drank a pot of coffee. Tramadol can cause you to feel dizzy/faint upon standing. I typically have low blood pressure, so I did actually faint a few times. If it makes you feel faint when you stand up, it says to stand up very slowly, so your blood pressure doesn't drop too much.

Good Luck!!
    Amanda
  • For Tramadol / Ultram, the only side effect I've really noticed is if I do not take with food, it makes me quite nauseous. Compared to hydrocodone, the relief is not the same, but you also don't have that feeling of elation, which might be the initial temptation for addiction with hydrocodone. Hydrocodone also makes me quite nauseous without food, and sometimes even with food. I'd say both give some level of pain relief, you really need to try for yourself and work with your doc on the right dosage.

Just my $.02.
    -Melissa
  • I posted to this thread this morning. WT???....
  • this is in both pain management and pain mediciations under different titles
  • I know my bad thought i was in the pain med forum . How do i go about deleting the other one?
  • i dont think you can delete it, its not a big deal .people do it all the time, patsy
  • mods can combine it into one.
  • I think it depends on your pain level. I have taken Ultram for several years, but over the past year, my pain level has increased to a point that it was not working. I have not experienced ANY of the side effects that people have mentioned here.....NONE AT ALL. I was even on Prozac. My current PM weaned me off the Prozac and got me up to the max dose of Ultram before deciding to move on to some of the heavier hitting pain killers. I would try it and see if it works for you. Like I said, I have more side effects to the opiates than I did with Ultram.
advertisement