Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated with back pain and doctors

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
~X( I am new to blogging so just learning how to go about all this.

I would like to know if any one has ideas on what my pain may be. I have DDD L5 - S1. (I have significant arthritis in my entire body) A year ago MRI's showed slippage at the L5 disk. Now new MRI shows slippage at L4 but it is "stable" whatever that means and DDD now at S1. I also have pain in my buttocks - especially when I flex my pelvic muscles or raise up out of a chair, although that pain is not as intense as with a broken tailbone, but it does hurt. I do not have pain going down my legs and I can raise my toes on both feet, however, my buttocks feel somewhat numb if I sit for very long 15 minutes or more. MRI does not show any nerve impingment or other problems. I have had 2 steroid injections for pain managment but pain keeps coming back. Pain was managable until last week when I was sewing and doing a lot of bending. Now pain is very bad again (hense the new MRI) Any ideas?
advertisement

Comments

• You are describing my pain exactly and it comes from arthritis in my facet joints. Sitting will cause my butt to go numb also. bending kills me. It takes me quite some time to get out of bed in the morning and especially to straighten up. This is the pain of arthritis in the facet joints.
  • as mentioned it could possible be facet joints but, also could be your SI joints the symptoms are very close to lumbar disc & nerve problems so SI pain usually goes untreated. Its just a thought my SI are bad and the pain is very close to lumbar pain.
    Since I have had 4 lowback surgeries I know its not from there but the pain sounds very close to what your saying.

Sitting, laying on sides, bending, standing are all things that irratate my SI joint pain. a simple SI injection could rule it out.

Paula
  • hi, i don't have any help i can offer you but i wanna say hi and welcome you to spine health, i have only been around here for couple months maybe less and it is better than a good pain pill, stick around you will get help,and maybe get to help others, that's a good feeling and we all need that feeling at times. patsy
  • You said you've had a recent MRI. Was that just of the lower back? The reason I ask is because it should show the state of your facet joints and if you have issues with those, which it sounds like you could, then it should have been noted in the report by the radiologist that read your scan. Obviously I have no way of knowing if your SI joint(sacroiliac joint) is shown in the MRI either, but it's also possible, as already suggested, that could be the culprit as well. Obviously, none of us here can diagnose you, but we can share our own experiences and suggest things that might help with the pain temporarily.

The best thing you can do is get in to see your doctor and have your MRI report explained to you, and ask if either of these things are mentioned or causing your pain.

In the meantime, ibuprofen or aleve may help you, along with ice (20 mins on, 20 mins off) and heat (alternating), and rest as necessary. Oh and, uh...don't bend! (squat instead). Also, when sitting for extended periods, be sure to move around, stretch, get up periodically to walk around, etc.

Hope this helps, and let us know what the Doctor says.
advertisement