Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Prescription for Cervical Pain

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone:

I've been experiencing severe pain in my left arm and shoulder for almost 2 years. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, herniated discs in my cervical spine and spurs C-3 thru C-7.

I've been taking Tramadol and Lyrica for sometime now. My pain got worse rather than better. I do have surgery coming up within the next month to month and a half. I had requested stronger meds last month but did not get them.

Today I called my DO and she prescribed Vicodin/Acetomenophen 5/500. So far that does help. I have 45 pills at 3x a day. I see my DO again this coming Tuesday. I'm hoping she lets me keep taking these until my surgery. What experiences have others here had in this regard?

Thanks for listening!

Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Ken,

My medication was just changed from 7.5/500 to 10/500 4x a day.I've been taking them since last August.When I first started I was taking 5mg,then in Nov. it was raised to the 7.5 which I stayed on until just this month(last week).

I wake up pretty stiff and sore,but if I take it as soon as I get up in the morning it helps take most of the edge off.I take muscle relaxers as well,and My dr offered me the Lyrica along with my pain meds,but I decided against them after I researched them.I fight my weight and heard that the Lyrica can cause weight gain..I can't afford to gain weight,it's taken me a year to lose 12 lbs ~X(

If you take your medication as prescribed you should'nt have any problems,but your body will become dependant on the opiate.There is a big difference between dependance and addiction.Your body becomes dependant on food and water too,so you might want to do some research on that..just so you know.

I'm glad that you are getting some relief.Oh,cervicle DDD does get worse over time,it does'nt get better or go away.Good Luck on your upcoming surgery :)
  • I had pretty good luck with vicodin. I took it off and on before surgery (mostly just Lyrica) and then along with Lyrica after the surgery. My main complaint about vicodin is that if I cut back on the dose, I experienced crazy withdrawal symptoms (night sweats, etc). But pain relief was worth it. When I was in the hospital for my surgery, they wouldn't discharge me until I could swallow the vicodin again.
  • I'm happy to hear that you have found something that helps with your pain. It has been my experience, and from what I can tell the experience of others, that primary doctors don't like to prescribe narcotics for an extended period of time. If you aren't seeing a pain management doctor, it might be beneficial for you to see one after surgery. Your primary doctor and/or surgeon will probably keep you comfortable up to and thru your surgery. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I hope it fixes you up!">image
  • Hi Robin and thanks for your reply!

Yeah, this is my first time down this path so I'm not real sure how it works making sure I can keep this thing going with the narcotic pain reliever. Your comments help.

My daughter has MS and has to have narcotic pain relievers prescribed new every time she needs more. Evidently the law requires this.

The level of Vicodin you take looks like it is twice the strength of mine. Did you have Cervical Spine Surgery? I'm thinking anywhere between 1 and 4 discectomies between C-3 thru C-7. I know the surgeon will do one on C-6. How many more than that I couldn't say until I see him the 29th of this month.

Thanks again!

Ken
    Greyeagle
  • Hi there Chicago Gal!

Wow! You had the same surgery for the same reasons it looks like what I am going to have within the next month or so. Yeah, the vicodin is working for me so far.

I have a desk job as well. I had kind of wondered average time on disability after this surgery. I'm expecting an Aspen Collar also and was thinking probably 16 to 18 weeks until back to work after surgery.

Anyway, thanks so much for your comments! I married the right woman, I know that. Its been 34 years so far!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • What I am actually prescribed is Lortab;

Use/description: Narcotic pain killer used to relieve moderate to severe pain.
    Main ingredients : Acetaminophen and hydrocodone

No,I have not had cervicle spine surgery,though I do have DDD in the cervicle area and other issues,and I've had multiple other types of operations.

My pain has been pretty long term (over 20 yrs) so the 10mg is actually a pretty low dosage for a person in chronic pain for so many years.My dosage was just raised this month so with any luck I can stay at this level for a very long time.

It seems as though my body does not become as tolerant to the meds as fast as some others do.I had taken other pain medication in the past and stayed on the same dosage for years.This time around the Dr does not think that I became tolerant,he raised my dosage because he thinks/and I'm quite sure,that it is my pain that grew worse.He also told me in no uncertain terms that the cervicle DDD does not get better,it is a progressive problem,but unlike it's name it is not really a disease.

I'm on permanent disability,but I was on this before my DDD diagnoses.I really will keep you in my thoughts/prayers with your surgery..and T/Y for sharing a little about your daughter.I love the personal touches here on S-H. :)

• My DO put me on Morphine today. She said its ok to keep taking the vicodin with it. She said the Morphine extended release is to take care of long term pain and the vicodin for specific times where the pain is real bad.

She gave me 15MG tab SA. The Vicodin is 5/500 3x a day and the Morphine every 12 hours.

I took my first Morphine about an hour ago. So, we'll see how that goes.

GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • I'm glad to hear that your doctor gave you some medicine that will effectively deal with your pain issues. If you tolerate the morphine, it is a good drug to take. I have been taking it for over a year and it helps a lot. I take my dose at night, but in 12 hours, I'm SO ready to take it again. I've been having a bit of trouble thru the night getting comfortable, or rather staying comfortable. I toss and turn because laying on my right side puts too much pressure on my shoulder and hip, but if I lay on the left side (which feels so much better) it starts to hurt from staying in one position for too long. Anyway... I hope you have good luck with the Morphine.
  • Status check! How's the morphine going?

"C"
  • Hi there!

Morphine is doing fine. My first dose did take care of the pain really well. The only side effect I felt was being very sleepy about 2 hours after I took it. Morphine along with the Vicodin are doing great.

Fortunately I have never once taken illegal drugs in my life. I was in high school in the late 60's so that stuff was all around me. Never wanted to take something where I was not in full control of myself so I didn't.

My doctor said she does not believe I have an addictive personality. So I would expect over time I'd develop a dependence on these meds but not an addiction. I don't feel 'loopy', or 'high'...it just makes me sleepy and takes care of the pain.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.