Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did your doctor mention adjacent disk disease post surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i'm worried if i get surgery i will have to get the adjacent disk surgery. all the doctors mention that in 5-10 years you have a 25% chance to do the surgery again. that stinks.

did anyone's doctor tell them about that?
advertisement

Comments

• A fusion does tend to put additional stress on adjacent levels. But also those with DDD tend to progress so that the pathology or reasons that caused the original problem continue to progress.

Bottom line--most of the time conservative treatment is recommended (as long as permanent damage is not likely) and then once surgery is required, it is done.

And docs give no guarantees for the future.

• All discussions on fusion was caveated with the fact that the levels above and below the fusion will take on additional load and may require more surgery down the road. One of the biggest reasons we gambled and did not fuse.

And Unboringuy is right, I've never heard any doc give a guarantee.

"C"
  • told me this too. what she said was that once you have a fusion on a disc (or discs), the ones above and below work harder and the increased strain can lead to more fusions.
  • need to be ultra careful post fusion to avoid strain on adjacent discs, and no guarantee you won't need additional surgeries. So I'm standing up straight and hoping to make it to 2018 before I face this again ... of course, by then, maybe there will be less invasive treatment??
advertisement