Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord repair or Dural Tear repair

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm changing this forum to chronic pain. Maybe people who have experienced this are not reading the surgery forum. Since its not a thing you get treatment for over a period of time or you look forward to having.

Come on. I know I can't be the only one who hase had a spinal tear.

I'm just wondering how common a dural tear or having a spinal leak is, self cause I hear is rare or from surgery I heard is kinda common.

I have experienced both and just wondering if anyone has any side effects from it or restrictions.

Its a very scary thing to experience and not to mention how bad it sucks to be laying flat for days at a time in the hospital. I know I can't be the only one that has experienced the issue.

I would also realy like to know if anyone maybe has had to have a patch replaced from a repair, or suffers headaches from it, really any information or experiences would be greatly appericated.

Thanks,
Paula
advertisement

Comments

• never experienced anything but annular tare but I did want to tell you that some time ago I remember somebody talking about having this in the injections section of this site so hopefully they will come along and give you more info. Good luck.
  • happened during my last fusion. he said to watch out for headaches etc. they put a patch or used some bionic glue or something to patch it up. if i got symptoms, i was supposed to go back in and open me up again to repair it. thank god they did not have to do that. it healed on it's own and i have had no problem since may

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I suffered many complications due to a LP that was done incorrectly that never healed completely shut. It's a long story, but fortunately accidents happen and the leak was found 3 years after it was created and patched with a big strip of duragel. No problems with it since.

"C"
  • When I awoke from my first fusion, a fews hours later I had the worst headach of my life. I reported it and the surgeon said " I never tore the dura" and I thought to myself, what is that? I never suggested you did - I just have a whacking headache.

I recovered after a while but they made me lie flat for ever afterwards. No one mentioned anything. It is only being more aware now that I truely wonder if the dura was injured at all.
    I have read it can be common and not always picked up at the time of surgery which makes my experience all the more worrying - I reckon. lol.

• well as im still lay hear looking up what i can do to speed up my recovery i read all your comments , i had surgery last week tue/19th may/09 to remove a left pedical screw after takin 5hrs in surgery to removed instead of 2 hrs on the way out i incurred a spinal tear :O omg i screamed the ward down for 48hrs with my head :''( i have suffered with my back for 6yrs so no what pain is im not a mard person but omg i am still having to rely on a lot of help as cant lift head due to still havin headache over a week later :T i only been given pain killers which dont do anything but help me sleep a little , i hate being lay in bed longer than needed but i been in bed now for 9 days and not looking good to be getting up soon , im so fed up and like i say cant take much more i would not even wish this pain on my worst enemy , anyone reccomend anything plz :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
  • gee here it goes again with my same symptoms that I reported a few days ago here under 'severe migraine for over a week'......I was in the hospital for 7 days with no resolution to problem. They did a CT with and without contrast first day, a MRI first day and a lumbar punch first day....everything showed negative....except excruitating pain. They plied me with pain medication that never got to the pain. Some of the nurses were nice, some were not. I'm a good patient, but I was so frustrated with the treatment that I am totally changing my PCP so that I'll never have to go to that hospital ever again.

Isn't it a shame to want to be well and can't seem to find the people that will assist you
  • I went in for a microdiscectomy which was supposed to be an outpatient surgery, during surgery they found that my nerve was glued to my disc herniation (L4-L5) and therefore could not move the nerve to the side to the herniation out. They had to go around the nerve to remove the herniation and while doing so they teared the nerve. A one hour surgery ended up being a 4 hour surgery because they had to patch the tear. I had to stay in complete bed rest for 3 days laying on my back. I lost partial movement of my left foot and the pain was agonizing. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days. On the 5th day i was able to get up and walk using a walker and by the 6th day I could limp around without the walker. However, the pain is agonizing and have to be on strong drugs. I am at home now on my 7th day and i wonder if anyone out there had the same experience and can share the result after 3-4 weeks ?
  • I had a tumor removed from my spinal canal. It was a 4 hour operation nearly 2 years ago. I now have spinal fluid leakage that is compressing my nerves. I am 57 now. Before the operation I was pretty active. Running a few miles a week, playing golf and doing other exercises. Now I have to be careful bending and lifting. I can run but it feel it in my back after wards. Nearly everyday I feel some numbness in my feet that goes up to my knees, and I get headaches but not serious. I had a strip of duragel placed on my spinal dura after the operations to prevent leakage, but I think it came off. The bubble in the back is about 9 by 5 cm. I spoke to 4 doctors and in short they think it is risky to go back in and repair the d
  • I had a microdiscectomy 11-27-12. 6 Days after surgery I was told I have a dura tear. I get a head ache if I'm sitting or standing.. . My Dr. Put me on complete bed rest for 2days. Then I get to get up and test it out. See if it has healed on its own. I have to say that reading post on here are not very encouraging.
    Hanna
  • Hello ToYoungforThis,

I had a spinal tear after a second back surgery the fluid from my spinal canal was leaking into my back and there was a bulge in my lower back. If someone would touch it I would want to jump out of my skin. I had it for a couple weeks ever time I would stand or sit up I would feel sick I lost a lot of weight. Went to the hospital and they tried giving me a blood patch that didn't work. I didn't put two and two together until I almost crashed the car I started shaking and sweating so the next day I had to go to ER. I never was so scared in my life. Thankfully a Nero surgeon was able to close the tear.

cknudtc
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.