Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF in over a week!!! What do I need??????HELP!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok, so I am going in for my level 2 fusion on L4-5 L5-S1 on the 24th!! NERVOUS???? JUST A LITTLE!! LOL!!
So...my question is, what do I need to get for comfort for when I come home?? I got the insurance company to get me a hospital bed with a trapeze to help me move and get out of bed. I am now seeking advice as to what else I might need.
Sweatpants?? Bigger underwear that won't hurt the incision area?? Stuff for bathing?? HELP!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

Thanks!
Kim
advertisement

Comments

• Hi - if you look in the top of the Back Surgery and Neck Surgery forum, you will see a "sticky" called Post-Op Must Haves, which should answer your questions. Good luck to you!
  • I did read that before but it was soooo long I just thought someone could cut it down to just the basics that I couldn't do without. I guess I'm trying to find and easier way to get things I need. LOL!
    Thanks!!!!!
  • Hi hunny,
    I totally understand your nervousness!! I was horrible with that last year with my first fusion.
    Personally I did not need half the stuff listed.

The main thing was the grabber.
    Rised toilet seat which I ended up not needing. Some ppl are uncomfortable sitting, but I had no issues.
    Shower chair /which I am asking for this time in the hospy.
    I got very weak in the shower.
    Things were kept at waist level for me. As in food etc.
    Took my showers at night when hubby got home so I was not looking for clothes.
    I basically lived in jammies. Hubby's T's.
    Underwear??? The heck with that =)) No one was going to see me ;)
    I had slip on sneakers for my walks.
    Walker here but really did not need it. Just used it to roll over and grab onto.

LOTS OF REUSABLE GEL FILLED ICEPACKS. They are heaven to line up on your back. And they prevent swelling and are the all "natural pain relief"

Bowel softeners. Due to the constipation from the pain meds.
    GasX tabs as I was very gassy for some reason.

Once I was feeling a bit better I had a heating blanket to wrap on my legs for the spasms and aches. Made sure not to touch my incision.

Baby wipes to use for the bathroom etc.

I had extra bandages here/antibotic cream. To keep the incision clean. For my showers I would put saran wrap over the incision with medical tape. BINGO it kept it dry till I could get it wet. All drs are different depending on whether your going to have glue/with steri strips/ stitches or staples.

I slept on the couch. We put 2 quilts underneath the cushions.
    My feather bed doubled on top. All my comfy pillows.
    All my meds, phone etc next to me.

Just remember everyone requires different things.
    You won't know till your home. How your dealing etc.
    The hospital usually provides all the things you will need for home. And they bill your insurance.

Hang in there hunny!!! You can do this, and before you know iit , you will be home recovering.

Any thing else do not hesitate to post or to PM any of us!!!

Hugs
    Terri >:D< >:D< :X

P.S. Not sure about the trapeze on the hospital bed??? As your supposed to log roll to get up.
    Ok that with your Dr.