Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Relief - Finally!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
After 21 months of constant pain, I have finally gotten some relief. Percocet is my savior. Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but this is the first thing that has reduced my pain and not made me sick.

I can still feel my pain, but it is reduced enough that I have been able to resume more normal activities. Well, at least through the weekend that's been true. Hopefully now that I am back at work, it will continue.

I will still work with my doctor to find non-drug solutions. In fact I have another epidural scheduled for Friday, and my doctor is going to have a TENS unit trial set up for me.

I just had to share my joy with you all. I know that everyone here can appreciate my happiness.
advertisement

Comments

• :) i am very happy for you. <:P the correct medication can make all the difference in our lives. relax and enjoy your life now. the worst is over for now and you have been blessed with pain relief! Jenny :)
  • :H Hope things go well on Friday. I'm glad you have some support and mostly relief from pain. :) See you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Cathy, I'm glad to hear you've got relief and hope the next procedure makes it even better. Live your life!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Congrats! And props to your doctor for being so compassionate. Wish my new doctor had this kind of compassion X(
  • That is wonderful news! It's always so nice to find something that will give you a bit of relief... Don't do too much at work and get yourself in a bind! ">image Try to take it easy so you can still enjoy the weekend!">image
  • Wow Cathy,

Good for you! Good luck finding the No Meds pain relief. I know Physical Therapy with Tens, ultrasound, spinal adjustments and deep trigger point massage has helped me tremendously. I feel much better when I'm physically active. Sitting at a desk or standing for very long KILLS me.

Good Luck,
    Lauren
  • Thanks everyone :*

I think I did over-do it a bit on the weekend, and paid for it yesterday. But I was able to get back to feeling better with an evening of heating pad and rest. I'm also wearing a ThermaCare heat wrap today.

I'll try to keep things in perspective and take it slowly. It's hard not to try and do all the things you've had to put off because of pain, when you are finally feeling better. But I have to learn what my limits are, in order to stay feeling relatively good all the time.

I pick up a TENS unit on Monday, and I'm really looking forward to giving it a try.

Because of the ESI Friday, I haven't started the Mobic (meloxicam) yet either. So that's another thing I'm anxious to try, and see if it helps more than the Relafen (nabumetone).
  • just a thought i would let you know the tens unit can work great... but it is hard to get used to at first...so dont give up on it if you dont like it at first...patsy
  • I tried a TENS unit once, at my Mom's. And I know what you mean about it being hard to get used to.

I didn't find that one time helpful, but I realize that it can take some time for something like that to work. Also her unit was acting up, as she later found, so that's why I'm still up for giving it a try. I want to make sure that I give it the best try I can, before deciding it doesn't work. Kind of the same way I gave acupuncture a try, after 15 sessions I'm throwing in the towel on that one.
  • =D> I'm overwhelmingly happy for you but I must admit, I'm also severely jealous!!! 8} I hope things stay on the up and up after you return to work!!!
    -Lisa
  • I had my ESI this past Friday. I started the meloxicam (Mobic) Friday night. All weekend I felt pretty good. Pain level down to about 2 (from 4 to 5 before). Monday (yesterday) I picked up the TENS unit, and was able to use it while watching TV last night, and I am wearing it today at work. I also picked up my renewal prescription for oxycodone-APAP (Percocet), and increased the number to 4/day (as per my docs instructions).

So far, I have been able to keep my pain level down to 2 to 3 (mostly 2). It's amazing how much better I feel.

I will be trying to cut back again on the oxycodone, to see if the TENS is really helping. And I also need to see what effect the ESI had. Im sure there is a cumulative effect from everything. But the important thing is that hopefully I can break the pain cycle, and wean off of everything. But at the very least I'm hoping that I can resume a more normal life. At a 2-3 pain level, that is very possible.
  • Good for you Cathy! Breaking the pain cycle is crucial so you are definitely on the right track <:P Give your body a break and don't try to wean off too soon. I'm sure your pm doc is monitoring you? He/she will be able to help you cut back at the appropriate time when your pain is stabilized. Good luck and thanks for the encouragement!
  • I'm enjoying this lower level of pain too much right now to risk increased pain by weaning off too soon. :)))

But I guess I sort of wonder about this kind of dilemma. Trying all these new things at once, how do you know what it is that helped? The bottom line is, I'm happy to have less pain, but for future reference I'd like to know what it was that helped, or what combination.

I hope that I have enough time to do some experimentation. The TENS unit is on a 3 month rental right now, and of course I just had the ESI. I can stay on the oxycodone for a while (even though I'd like to eventually be able to stop), so I will continue that. But I might give the TENS unit a break after this week, just to see if my pain level stays down without it. It is expensive ($495), even the rental ($75/month), and I don't know how much my insurance is covering (I guess I could call them).

I should be able to know if the ESI helped within a few weeks. Then it is a matter of trying to figure out if it is the ESI or the oxycodone that is really helping out most.

I don't know, maybe it doesn't really matter in the end, as long as the pain is lower. :?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.