Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kinda Scared

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Matters of the Heart
:H Hi everyone! Trying to figure out where to post this. I saw my DO today. She prescribed 15mg extended release Morphine Tabs to go with my 5/500 Vicodin tabs. The former every 12 hours and the latter 3x a day.

I'm getting kinda scared. She reiterated that my surgeon is more than likely going to do a 4 level decompression C-3 thru C-7. I sure am happy for all of you here tho. It is a whole lot of help and support.

I see my surgeon Monday the 29th of this month. On that day he will tell me what he will do. I'll let ya all know.

My daughter (30 yrs old) will have carpal tunnel surgery that day as well. She has Multiple Sclerosis. She and her husband live with us with our two grandsons (James-5 yrs old) and Shane (2 yrs old this coming Nov).

So, we have a full house, lol.

I'm a bit apprehensive on what this Morphine is going to be like. My daughter takes it too for different problems but said I should be just fine.

Ok, I'll quit now. I'm just kinda scared and needed to get it out here.

Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Hang in there. It's wonderful that your doc is taking care of you and is staying on top of managing your pain until your surgeon can take care of things. You are a very lucky man.

Having your family there with you is even a bigger bonus.

So you have two families with you right now. This one here and the one at home.

"C"
  • Good luck with your surgery1 Patsy
  • Hi Ken,
    Thats good that you have a caring doctor. Hey, keep us posted on how you get on. If you need to let off some steam just PM me .

Angie x
  • my friend....it is only natural to feel scared , I know that I did as well. We are here for you though and will support you in any way that we can. I am glad that your doctor is staying on top of pain care for you , that is good. Please do keep us posted as to what you find out and how you are doing. As always , if there is anything that I can do to help you then please just let me know. Take care....Miki
  • Thanks everyone! and Miki!

My first dose of Morphine did take care of the pain and only made me very sleepy about 2 hours after I took it. I always read those sheets with the side effects listed when I get new meds so I got a bit hypochondriac over it. LOL. The Morphine one has a whole bunch of bad stuff listed.

I'm good. Of course there is always a degree of pain but far more tolerable with the Morphine and Vicodin.

Thanks again everyone!

GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Hello GreyEagle,
    I see you may have 3-7 fusion. If you look at my history I have been there. If you want to discuss it or have any questions feel free to ask. You can PM if you wish, I can try to help answer some questions.Good luck with everything.

>:D< Jeanette
  • Yeah, I see you had the fusion same levels as what my DO thinks my Neuro Surgeon is going to do. I'm sorry to hear about the complications you experienced!

I worry about possible complications too. I don't know yet if my surgeon is going to recommend graft from my hip or cadaver bone. I have type 2 diabetes and I suppose that would make a difference on which way he goes with it.

I work as a phone tech support rep in a busy call center. I've been on disability since June 3rd. My short term ran out and I have to wait for long term to kick in Nov 30th. From what I can see the avg recovery before being able to return to work can be 3 to 4 months or a bit longer. Well, every individual is going to be different. Diabetes will probably make it longer. Fortunately my diabetes is in good control.

Still, I worry. I did have carpal tunnel surgery about 14 years ago. I worried then. The thing with surgery is you fall asleep fast and when you wake up its a done deal. LOL.
    I just worry about what I'm going to feel like after major cervical surgery...the pain, the problems drinking, eating, sleeping, etc etc.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • I am also diabetic and I am a smoker, with those 2 factors my Ortho felt it would be best to do bone from my own hip. But, everyone is different, I had the "Luck of the draw", my ortho said in 8 years I am only the second person to get infection in my hip site from the surgery. Go figure.... Ya know we do what we have to and if we are not given choice wether to have surgery or not because it could be life threatning then we just deal with whatever comes along with it.
    I have had a few surgeries now and Iam scared every time, that is very normal, just remember to ask for help when you need it from those around you, you'll heal alot faster. Trust me, it was hard to do that at first, but I learned the hard way that those who care about you really want to be there.
    You're very lucky to have disability, I don't. After my last surgery I went back to work and only lasted 2 months before I had to quit my job I had since 1995. I now have applied for SSD, the long wait begins.
    Jeanette
  • Thank you so much for sharing your story, Jeanette! I'm so sorry to hear your situation resulted in loss of Job. I did have the choice to elect Long Term Disability as one of my benefits.

My daughter has MS and it took her 3 years fighting to get her SSD. What finally helped a lot in speeding up the process was she got good lawyers!

Yeah, I sure don't know whether to go with donor bone or from my own hip. I could have the situation you do with infection in the hip. When you get that infection does it go away with antibiotics fairly quickly?

Anyway, thanks much for sharing! Lets keep in touch!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • No, I am sorry to say it's not quite that easy. A month after my neck surgery I had to have a second surgery on my hip. The Doctor had to go back in to open it back up debreed it, then he put Jackson Prat tubes in for awhile. Those are the tubes with the little bulb on the end that you empty, they fill up with fluid and yuky crap from inside you. But, like I said that getting an infection in your donor sight is very rare and I just was one of those "lucky few".
    Yes, it would be wonderful to keep in touch, like I said if there is anything I can answer to help I will.
    Jeanette
  • Hi Jeanette!

Wow! Well, like you said the possibility of the kind of infection you got is quite low. Still, I would not be surprised if that happened to me. I am just hoping my surgeon advises the best option for me (donor bone or from the hip), depending on my diabetes. I don't know.

I sure hope you get well quickly from all this. Right now I'm finding the Morphine/Vicodin combo sure kicks butt! It works in terms of controlling my pain. I'm very groggy a lot of the time tho as a result.

Again, thanks much for your sharing! I will contribute as I am able as well. Right now I'm gonna go lay down awhile. I'm just so zoned out I can't function at the moment.

Take Care and talk to ya later!

Ken Greyeagle
    Greyeagle
  • Ken , I just wanted to check in on you and see how you are doing. I hope all is well with you....take care my friend....Miki
  • Bumping this back towards the front for you Ken.

How are you doing?

"C"
  • Hi Miki and haglandC!

I'm doing ok. I couldn't say how my left arm would feel without the morphine and Vicodin right now.I do still have some pain that gets annoying and pretty bad. But I'm hanging in there. A week from this coming Monday I see my Neuro Surgeon. He'll let me know the extent of surgery he intends on. I hope he says the same thing my spine doctor said.

It was kinda sad this last week at my spine doctor appointment. I've been seeing her for almost 2 years. She has been great but she is moving on to another position. She is placing me with someone else in the same doctors group as hers. That made me really sad seeing her for the last time.

It does get depressing dealing with chronic pain. You guys know. Its good we have good families and you guys to help us thru.

Thanks so much!

Ken
    Greyeagle
advertisement