Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New.. but old too

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all, fairly new here on the new forum, was on the old for a bit but have been away for a while.

I'm 40 and have been dealing with sciatica and back pain for about 3 to 3 1/2 years now. Sciatica was caused by an annular L5-S1 tear and took a couple MRIs to diagnose. Back pain is from facet joint syndrome L3-L4-L5. I've had several injections, the latest was a set of MBB injections to confirm my eligibility for RF Rhizotomy, which is scheduled.

I worked in public safety for 20 years, primary as a 911 dispatcher but also as a volunteer firefighter & paramedic. I've not been able to do the FF/medic work in some time now and miss it a lot! I left dispatching to pursue my IT interests. I'm also a part time professional photographer.

Nice to make everyone's acquaintance.
Jay

:H
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health....
  • Welcome Jay.

Imposed change of employment is always difficult and my active job now changed in response to my condition and I understand that notion of missing the job that you enjoyed. You have and will continue to develop new interests and although these will not replace some to of the things you miss, but adapting to alternative opportunities mandatory for success and hope in the future.

Extending ripples of restriction have for me continued the necessity to keep adapting and even things that were possible are being impacted by my ongoing condition. I have adapted very well in the long term through success and some failure, chronic pain impact all members of the family and imposes change on them also.

Good luck to you, perhaps you could start a photography thread and help us all. !!

John
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have severe sciatica myself. are you on any nerve pain medications? i have found them to be a big help. =D> you are keeping busy and that is part of the battle right there. good luck and keep posting! Jenny :)
  • jay- welcome to the site and hope the RF rhizotomy helps resolve the problems and that you'll be back to all your activities soon.. :) jade
  • Thanks everyone for the welcome.

John, luckily I've not been forced on a career change due to current issues. I had some hip problems from a motorcycle accident and moved out of my fire district. As a volunteer it is typical to have to live in the district where you are a member. PT pretty much took care of the hip, however, I don't qualify at (nor am I comfortable taking on the responsibility of) the physical demands that firefighting requires because of the back. I've got a lot of friends still in the fire service and get to go on ride-a-longs with their fire companies. Photography has been a hobby of mine for 30 years, this year I started an actual business and I've been enjoying that a lot! Sure has been a lot of work though.

lulusheart I'm taking Lyrica at 300mg a day, Skelaxin and Valium (at least until the RF Rhiz is done).

I'm a pretty active person as much as I can be. If I don't have about a thousand things going at the same time I'm not happy! :-) I have to watch out because I can make myself pay after the fact if I'm not careful!
  • you have exactly the same issues that I have. My annular tare was repaired by discectomy but as for my facet joints, I have yearly rhizotomys which have helped tremendously. I am excited for you that you will be able to have one soon. Just do not expect results to be immediate as it takes 4-6 weeks for the nerves to completely die. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Please keep us posted.
  • I've not done anything with the annual tear, I'm hoping to be able to PT myself around that. Once the rhiz is done, I'll hit the PT and see how things go. I hope it's not 4-6 weeks (my doc said could even be 8 weeks) but if it's anything like my last injection it will definitely be worth the wait! I'm excited to be able to get out of a chair or my car without issues!! :D
advertisement